Talk Disney World Florida to me please

Tasha

4kids+2angels+16mc
Reaction score
Sooo, I think I've decided that after we get back off our holiday to Majorca (early May), I'm going to book to go to Disney world. I want to go in Ocotber 2017 for two weeks. They'll be six of us, me and DH, 13, 12, 9 and 2 year olds.

Is a villa or hotel better? Better to book as a package or separate? Any other helpful tips and advice greatly appreciated :flower:

Hi 😊
We've been for the last 2 years and going again in 2 weeks.
Definitely a villa, they work out the same price if not cheaper, you have your own pool, own kitchen to cook things make packed lunches etc. Not all cramped up in a room. It's so much better. We usually alternate and go disney in the morning then spend afternoon/evening at the villa and vice versa because it's such a long day at the parks if you go everyday.
We've never booked as a package either, always keep an eye out for flights and book them as soon as you see a good deal because the prices soon go up. We ended up paying about 450 each per return flight this time (from UK to orlando) the villa was 850 or 900 for the 2 weeks (sleeps 12). So I would say to book everything separately.
It's the best holiday! Have fun ☺

Wow those were cheap flights weren't they? Where in the uk were they from and who with?

I def want a villa. You're right the chilled out time and space is needed.

Definitely do it DIY its much cheaper.

With flights come up with a price that you think you want to pay (around 450/500 per person direct 350/400 indirect (stopping somewhere in America first) and once you see a price you like book it. Norwegian Air can often have some good deals.

You are either a offsite villa person or onsite disney hotel person. Both are suit the people involved! My mum hates driving and my Dad doesnt drive so we have always been an onsite disney person - easy to travel around, dinign reservation and fastpass perks etc. For your family size I would look at an Art of Animation Disney Resort 2 bed villa (sofa bed in another room) that can be Lion King/Cars/FInding Nemo theme. If you do book this make sure you do it in the Disney Free Dining Plan deal when meals are included. At the moment its around 2800 for the two weeks (that includes transfers and all Disney Transport) for a Villa you will need to factor in car hire/insurance plus $20 parking a day.

Then make sure you preplan - if you want to eat onsite reservations can be made at 180 days out (+10 for onsite) 3 fastpasses per park can be booked 30 days in advance) (60 onsite)

Try the Dibb forum its a really good source of information! It also has Villas as well from reliable owners if you decide to go that route.

One thing we have always found is think of what you want to pay and take it from there. Its a holiday that can be as little or as much as you want. And dont forget Disney tickets alone are £300 per person for 14 day unlimited entry.

I would also thoroughly recommend looking at doing 2 nights at a Universal hotel even if you go for a Villa - that gives you unlimited front of line passes and early entry into Universal.

Believe me starting to look into it when you get back from Majorca is not too soon!

Thank you so much for taking the time to write all of that. Such a lot to think about isn't there?

Ooh Tasha! Let me know when you are coming so we could possibly meet up! :happydance:

Definitely villa. Or at least something with a kitchenette. Ask me anything at all. :D

I actually thought that when I started looking into it :) would be awesome to meet you four (hopefully five)! It'll be the last two weeks of October. I know it seems way off but the cost plus it's a once in a life time trip for us, so I want to get it right.

Definitely look at joining the DIBB its like this forum only about Disney World. It does need a lot of consideration simply because of the money spent!

We have been twice and stayed on I-Drive in a hotel, I prefer a hotel as I couldnt be bothered with cleaning a villa while on holiday :haha::haha:

We love the hustle and bustle of I-Drive and are planning to go back (hopefully for my 40th :blush:) in 2018

The first time we went we flew with Virgin and will defo be using them again next time, there was 3 adults and 1 child and we paid, £2500 for 2 weeks thats flights and Hotel, we then pad another £1000 for park tickets and took £2500 spending money.

The second time we flew with Delta (never again), it was a little bit more expensive £3100 for same amount of people, same hotel and flights.

Our boys favourite park was Islands of Adventures and Universal studios, they are not big Disney fans so we defo wont be doing Disney again, when we were there we only dont the Disney parks we thought the boys would like and TBH they didnt enjoy it as much as Universal.

Word of advice, once you go, YOU WILL GO BACK!!!! :haha::haha:
people always say, its a holiday of a lifetime and we will only go once (we said this also) but you will be back believe me you will :haha::haha:

Its not as expansive as people think, unless you are planning to stay onsite x

Cabana Bay Universal Studios is a good choice a well a suite there for two weeks is £1400 and you get

I agree with Sabby it really is as cheap or as expensive as you want! Manchester to Orlando this October is around 400 per person on Virgin so if you can get that for next year I would snap it up.

Onsite Disney can be actually good value at the value resorts once you take into account parking and transport but really only suits 4 otherwise its two rooms.

I actually thought that when I started looking into it :) would be awesome to meet you four (hopefully five)! It'll be the last two weeks of October. I know it seems way off but the cost plus it's a once in a life time trip for us, so I want to get it right.

Oh no, not way off at all. Disney is so incredibly expensive! The sooner you plan out, the better.

Okay things to think about:

Transportation. Are you going to rent a car? If you stay off site, you'll have to consider the $20 a day parking fee. :wacko: Most off site hotels will provide shuttle transportation but it can be very difficult running on their limited schedule. There's Uber and Lyft and whatnot but you cannot transport a child under 5 without a car seat.

Food. Disney allows you to bring in outside food and drinks. This pretty much saved our life. I mean, for the "quick service" meals, you're talking about $10 a person. Per meal. We prepared our food in the hotel and brought them in Thermoses as well as ready-to-eat snacks and foods. For your length of stay, a meal plan might be the best idea. Also food at where you are staying when not at the parks. Try to avoid Publix and Winn-Dixie. They are at least double the price from Wal-Mart and Target.

Tickets. For 10 days, it's going to be about $2,000 for all of you. That does not include the park hopper option but I don't think you need that for the length of your trip.

I calculated a value Disney resort, 10 tickets, and the basic meal plan and got $8,304. That does not include air fare.

I think it will probably easier for you to stay off site and plan meals but it's also a little more stressful.

UK based Disney tickets are different to those offered in the US unless you go through a US based site and get US tickets the UK usually does a 14 day Ultimate ticket (including everything and park hopper). Its not a ticket I think they particularly sell to the US market as I suspect it designed for the Brits who go for 2 weeks. They are £1600 for the family.

Its the same for Universal actually it turned out to be cheaper when we did it last time to buy a 14 day ticket from the UK site than a 2 day option from the US. They tailor there tickets specifcally to hit the British Tourists.

I would allow £1600 for tickets (just Disney) and around £2500-£3000 for flights, £1500-£2000 spending money. Part of the thing is that you have 4 adults in terms of flights as well so that makes it more expensive (11+ is an adult) and then see from there.

If not a villa I have heard really good things about the Cabana Bay at Universal gets some on the onsite perks and its near I drive and is reasonably priced. Marriott suite hotel is another good one.

What!! I did not know that! That's crazy!

I think its cos it really makes sense for the UK public they sell it as 14 days for the price of 7 and it sounds a lot at 300 but its £20 a day. Its cheaper than a day ticket to a lot of the UK theme parks. It really is ultimate as well its all 4 parks, 2 water parks and a round of mini golf a day plus memory maker for all the photos.

We get so much more holiday as well though. I was talking to an american family when I last went about the fact we were there for 2 weeks and they found the fact that we could go for that long odd (both me and OH get 6 week holiday)

I think its cos it really makes sense for the UK public they sell it as 14 days for the price of 7 and it sounds a lot at 300 but its £20 a day. Its cheaper than a day ticket to a lot of the UK theme parks. It really is ultimate as well its all 4 parks, 2 water parks and a round of mini golf a day plus memory maker for all the photos.

We get so much more holiday as well though. I was talking to an american family when I last went about the fact we were there for 2 weeks and they found the fact that we could go for that long odd (both me and OH get 6 week holiday)

That's amazing it's all included! Totally jealous haha! Not even my Florida resident tickets are near that.

That's amazing it's all included! Totally jealous haha! Not even my Florida resident tickets are near that.

I looked it up I see what you mean if you get a 21 day ticket it works out at £16 a day (a lot of DIsney though). Universal is the same you can get a 14 day ticket for park to park on the UK site for £159 (roughly $230) for which a florida resident would get 3 days. I do remember it from last year being surprised as how good value a 14 day ticket was

They must think we are good spenders once we are in the parks!

Ahhh thank you all so much. I'm so excited and so impatient to book.

I've decided on definitely staying in a villa and hiring a car. I think we really need the space, with their being six of us and Orion will need to go to bed and have space plus Morgan has sensory issues and suspected autism so with so much going on all the time, quiet space will be needed. DH is a space geek as is my oldest so we couldn't go all the way to Florida and not do that.

I think I might even book the villa tomorrow but I'm just going to see and work through all the quotes etc and figure out what's best for us. Figure out where they all are and so on.

Then I'll spend until November saving loads for flights, then crack on to tickets. Then it'll just be saving spends as well as car hire.

I've been reading bad things about hertz, they're letting people book cars at one price and in the small print it saying subject to chance then whacking the price up!

Sorry for typos. Exhausted and on the train back from wwe

Hertz is very expensive. I would check out Kayak.com. It compares the prices of hundreds of sites. You'll probably need a van with 7 seats. It's about $30-50 dollars a day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->