Talk to me about teeth

My_First

Reaction score
So two nights running now my son (just over three), has woken from 'sore teeth'.

Do they get any changes in teeth now? Does he get anymore back molars?

Should I be talking him to the dentist? Its not like its one tooth i.e. like h e has a cavity or something, but all of his bottom teeth on both sides (unless he has a mouthfull of cavities!!!)

Any ideas?

How many teeth does he have? He should get 20 total, 16 coming in around 1 year old and then they get four molars, the second molars, these should come in between two and three years old. This could definitely be what's upsetting him. My friend's son was in agony with them, he was almost three when they started coming in. Unless he has these already, then I'd take him to the dentist for a check up

Attachments

• tooth-chart.jpg
    tooth-chart.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 14
Ill take a look tonight, thanks for that!

Does he get anymore teeth at all (aside from Wisdom?) or has he (or should have) a full set?

My lo has all his teeth(20) through for a few months now, and he still looks like they are aching. He presses his down on the bottom ones. I wondered about cavities, but I took him to the dentist a couple of weeks ago, and all was fine. So I don't know. Wondered if it was growing pains, or sinusitis.

He should just have the 2 wisdom teeth on each side on top and bottom for a few years. If he doesn't have them all the way through maybe some Tylenol? Teething sucks. :hugs:

On another note - Kristin goes to the dentist every 6 months and has since she got her first tooth at 7 months.

At 3 I would reccomend he have regular twice per year dental visits. Also, does he have allergies, albeit seasonal or food or had a cold lately? Several different things can lead a child to clench his teeth or grind and could result in a "sore" complaints besides decay.

Ill take a look tonight, thanks for that!

Does he get anymore teeth at all (aside from Wisdom?) or has he (or should have) a full set?

Wisdom teeth dont usually begin to start presenting until 14-18 years of age, and thats if they are not impacted and able to present at all :flower:

I knew that and in fact wisdom teeth dont come through until around 18-25 years old. I wondered that what he currently has (or should have by 3) are just baby versions of the 'big' teeth. I.e. does he get anymore aside from replacement?

He goes to the dentist every six month with me and gets a check up.

No, baby teeth and adult teeth are a bit different, it's not that baby teeth are mini versions of permanent teeth. The front ones yes, but adults have more molars and bicuspids(?)

I found this handy chart:

I knew that and in fact wisdom teeth dont come through until around 18-25 years old. I wondered that what he currently has (or should have by 3) are just baby versions of the 'big' teeth. I.e. does he get anymore aside from replacement?

He goes to the dentist every six month with me and gets a check up.

I'll be sure to tell that to my 15 yr old patient I had yesterday with partial buccal cusp eruption of his thirds :thumbup: No reason to be defensive, you were asking I was educating. An average is just that, an average of highs and lows. I responded with what I clinically see in my office daily under my professional hygiene license. :shrug:

ETA: And no, as previous poster said, they are not "mini" versions of what a child will later have. They have 20 primary teeth and 32 adult teeth so there will be more than replacement. Sometimes people will be congenitally missing some primary teeth or adult teeth, but the average as a whole is 20 and 32.

Apologies sorry, I meant 'typicially', it wasnt meant to come across as defensive :flower: I was meaning they were the last to come and I haven't really got to worry about them just yet :) I know you are the tooth lady, so hoped you would come along! (P.s. I mis read 'presenting' as 'through' hence my reply...:))

I took a little look and it seems they are all in, and I asked him if they hurt when he went to bed tonight and he said they didn't, so who knows. My OH thinks it maybe attention seeking in the middle of the night, but because he points to the same place each time, makes me think its genuine.

Apologies sorry, I meant 'typicially', it wasnt meant to come across as defensive :flower: I was meaning they were the last to come and I haven't really got to worry about them just yet :) I know you are the tooth lady, so hoped you would come along! (P.s. I mis read 'presenting' as 'through' hence my reply...:))

I took a little look and it seems they are all in, and I asked him if they hurt when he went to bed tonight and he said they didn't, so who knows. My OH thinks it maybe attention seeking in the middle of the night, but because he points to the same place each time, makes me think its genuine.

Easy for things to be taken wrong on the internet, I also didnt mean to sound as if I was jumping at you :flower: lol, im a bit overly passionate when it comes to teeth, hubby warns me I preach it like its the Bible.

Does your LO snore at all? Sometimes tonsils/adenoids flare up..?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->