Talking on the phone whilst at the checkout

I'm a teacher and at parent's evening on more than one occasion I've had a parent I was doing a consultation with answer their phone and start talking away! I just leave mine to ring if I am in a shop or whatever and check it once I'm finished in there.

If im on the phone when i get to a check out i say to the person in on the phone to hang on a minute then proceed to pay. If its a big shop then id tell the person ill ring you back, or if my phone was ringing i wouldn't answer it til im finished.
i like chatting to the cashier lol

I hate it when the cashiers far talking amongst themselves and only acknowledge you to tell you how much they want.... Find that very rude

I hate it when the cashiers far talking amongst themselves and only acknowledge you to tell you how much they want.... Find that very rude

They are always doing that in my local co-op. It makes me choose not to shop there.

Im on thr fencebim really not surebi own a chain of shops like spars and all staff are banned from having mobiles butbif im working and thenphone rings i havr to answer as its often bussiness i usually say hang on but last week i was dealing with police and council due to some damage the council did and they eont wait and id bern tryjng to speak to some one for 5 days or if papers havent turned up you only havr a 10 minute winfow to report them else you pay for them or my lottery terminals are down sometimes i have no choice and im sure its the same for others. I dont often answer the ohone ehile serving but sometimes i have no choice and my customers understand that. Justbthe same asbif therenon the phone.

Sorry about typos im on a tablet cant go back and alter

There's some right cheerful people on here:haha:.

I love serving rude customers makes my day

I had two women recognise each other in the reception yesterday. I couldn't get the womans attention to enter her pin number and they held up the queue for ages. She got all huffy when she realised I cancelled her transaction and moved onto the next customer.

I used to work in retail and found it rude so I would never do it. I don't even like talking on my phone in a shop, never mind at a checkout but if I am on the phone I always say I'm at the checkout now call you back in a minute or ignore it if it rings.

I'm a teacher and at parent's evening on more than one occasion I've had a parent I was doing a consultation with answer their phone and start talking away! I just leave mine to ring if I am in a shop or whatever and check it once I'm finished in there.

I've had parents do this with me in the middle of therapy sessions, very productive! Of course if it was an emergency that's different but more often than not they begin a general chat

I do this all of the time, i usually just hold it on my shoulder so i have my hands free to do stuff. Ive never thought of it as rude, i rarely have a conversation with someone at a till, i just want to pay for my stuff and leave really x

I dont do it... But I am always so engrossed with keeping the kids entertained and happy that I hardly talk to the cashiers anyway xx

it's pretty rude! the person in front of you still deserves your attentin!

Very rude imo....i think texting at all is pretty rude considering people do it while youre talking with them etc...

Um, I actually like it when I go to a shop where the person at the till is nice and we have a chat while I'm packing my bags. As for the phone thing, it's very rare I'll be on phone unless it's urgent when I'm at checkout. Even if I was, I still say hi and thanks etc. Basic manners to me.

I work in retail and don't find it rude at all really. As long as they are able to still pay and take their bag etc just basically not creating a queue then there's no problem. I've had much ruder things happen- someone threw a shoe at me once haha!

Also I don't get a phone signal in the staff room at my work so when I go out on my lunch break I am often on my phone to OH or my mum finding out how LO is. I always say please and thank you and wouldn't expect the cashier to pack my bag just because I'm on the phone :)

If my sister was standing right next to me in line, I wouldn't end a conversation with her just to check out. I wouldn't end a phone coversation either.

I usually ask whoever to hold on while I check out and do whatever I need to do at the check out, but no one engages in conversation really. It's Hi, 45.76, have a good one. That's all you get.

I used to work on tills in a supermarket. It bothered me if the customer didnt even acknowledge my existance!! If they still said hello please thank u etc i didnt care.

It is pretty rude and I hate that it makes me look rude but right now I need to do it. I have social anxiety and have avoided shops for a long time, I am trying so hard to do the shop thing again and talking to someone on the phone about silly stuff, just random rubbish, helps me to keep calm. I say hi, pack my bags, pay when needed and say thanks bye because that is all I can handle right now. Small talk, interacting in that way is just too much.

I hate that I may be being judged as rude by the cashier (I was one previously) but you just never know what is going on in the persons world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->