Tandem nursing

RubysMommy

Reaction score
I'm 30 weeks pregnant with baby #2 and still nursing my 15 month old dd. I know it's possible to nurse both of them, but just curious how the milk supply works? I don't have much milk at the moment. Does that mean I'm already just making colostrum? And dd still nurses quite often through out the day and early morning. Will she be taking milk away from the new baby or will I just make that much more milk?

I've done a small amount of googling, but just wondering about other peoples experiences as well. Thanks :)

Most people will have a period of minimal-to-no milk production during pregnancy before colostrum returns sometime after 20ish weeks. At 30 weeks, I'd say colostrum is a safe bet.
If you nurse both on demand, your body will make plenty for both kiddos. Most tandem nursers have oversupply rather than undersupply problems. There's a sticky in the bf section (at the top) with lots of experiences/advice and the book "Adventures in Tandem Nursing" is a great read.
Maybe the most practical thing I can suggest is to prepare yourself for the toddler's reaction. Some really nurse a lot once the milk comes in and others distance themselves from mom and attach to someone else for a while. Some wake more at night asking to nurse. It's always good to decide ahead of time how you want to handle the possible reactions and talk to everyone about it (dad, grandparents, etc) so everyone is on the same page. Also so that you're not making important decisions about your relationship with your toddler when you're in pain and exhausted postpartum. Congrats, mama!

Thanks so much! I will definitely check those out! I made so much milk with dd, I can't imagine making more lol. And At least I won't get the super sore nipples this time, hopefully.

I had oversupply with DS due to the fact that I had to bring in my supply by pumping while he was in the NICU. I am in the same boat as you, thinking there is a bit of colostrum now, still nursing my toddler, wondering what it will be like when my milk comes in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->