Tantrums

lusterleaf

Reaction score
How do you deal with your child's tantrums? I feel like I can't even bring my DS to the grocery store by myself anymore (He is 2.) He will climb out of his shopping cart and if I try to restrain him he will throw a tantrum in the middle of the store. In fact if I try to stop him from doing something he will throw a tantrum- for example, I went to my sister's house and he ran up and down her hallways continuously opening and closing her doors. When I tried to stop him he had a meltdown. I feel like this makes me look like I can't control my kid... any advice/experiences?

For grocery trips I distracted DS with a new magazine which I would have to pay for at the end of course. So he was out of his trolley until he picked the one he wanted then he sat reading the magazine as good as gold for the rest of it. As he got older I would give him a mini shopping list with pictures to make him feel helpful, which also worked. He can now cope with just words, but he now wonders off to find the items which isn't always good so now going to rethink this.

As for the hallway and opening/closing doors/cupboards in my opinion that is part of his ASD and its best not to stop him, but find a distraction for him. I know kids on the spectrum prefer to be on the go rather than sitting still so for DS I set up like a mini nursery setting with stations he could flick between. Once in a while he'd get an obsession and play with that none stop. Another thing which worked for him was computers. It was around that time he was getting interested in PC's so it was easy for us to use that. Also he loved Rolf Harris at that age, (his choice not mine) and he would watch his live DVD over and over again. So its just finding an interest and distracting him with that. I don't think punishment at this age would work on a child with ASD, especially if he lack communication and understanding skills, but maybe if your brave enough try a very visual approach to it. My son's school does a sun and a could and everyone starts on the sun, but if they are being silly(naughty) then they go on the could and loose something fun for them. Again they are old and are slowly learning their choices have consequences. When I asked my son if he had a good day at school yesterday, he said no, I asked why, he replied as I didn't go in the playpod, I then asked why, he then said as I was on the cloud for being silly. That was a good conversation for us as we don't normally get that much information from him! But if we tried that 4 years ago it wouldn't of worked. He just didn't understand. Also another thing I learnt (I was recently on an autistic parenting course) is to reward them for good behaviour and ignore the bad behaviour. So may get a new special toy next time you go to your sisters and put it in the room you want. When/if he plays with it reward him with praise and/or treat. Chocolate buttons were are key treat as you could give him just one for every thing he did right. If he plays with it for 2-3 minutes reward him again just to keep encouraging him for good behaviour. Or even if he watched her TV anything really besides the bad behaviour.

I hope this gives you some ideas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"