Taste in Utero

brownhairedmom

Reaction score
Is it true that babies can taste in the womb? That the amniotic fluid tastes like whatever it was that you ate, and the baby can become accustomed to certain tastes? Can it affect their eating habits later in life? Ex. I eat a ton of veggies since being pregnant, my baby is more likely to like veggies than someone who didn't eat them at all during their pregnancy?

Anyone forcing themselves to eat things they wouldn't normally eat to get baby used to certain tastes!?

my baby will like everything and anything lol im not fussy!! apart from mushrooms neither me or my OH eat them yuck!!

x

I've read that babies can taste in the womb and that the amniotic fluid changes "flavour" depending on what you eat. It would make sense to me that if a child becomes familiar with the taste of something before birth they would be more likely to accept that food later on...

However, I've heard quite a few stories where mums-to-be have eaten loads of one particular food only to have a child who can't stand it. Strange!

It's a bit like the don't eat peanuts rule...I would have thought eating them would allow the baby to become used to them and therefore divert an allergy but the reverse is true...or something like that. I'm waffling now, so I'll go away!!

Lx

yeah i heard this too, i have just been eating a very varied diet, sometimes super super healthy and other times not. I want my LO to be used to everything, if possible!
I have to admit too that i sometimes have eaten things i'm not supposed too, like soft cheese etc but just weeney amounts i still think everything in moderation is ok.

My theory on cravings during pregnancy will mean the LO with either love it or hate it when they are older....what do you think? my mum craved pickled gherkins like in burgers and i hate them!!!

Yea i've heard that but tbh im just eating what i can actually eat :lol: im not going to be too adventurous though since i can only eat porridge bars and bread and cheese baby is not going to have a very varied diet ha ha!!

You know, I read about this just the other day... I guess my son will love scrambled eggs and red Icees!

I hadn't heard this, but if it's true my poor child is going to be as picky as I am :wacko:

I did read in a book though that the amniotic fluid does take on the taste/smell of what you ate, and there have been cases where some women have eaten really spicy food before giving birth and the baby comes out smelling like that food!

I hadn't heard this, but if it's true my poor child is going to be as picky as I am :wacko:

I did read in a book though that the amniotic fluid does take on the taste/smell of what you ate, and there have been cases where some women have eaten really spicy food before giving birth and the baby comes out smelling like that food!

:dohh: I can picture it now. "Here mam, here's your baby. And he smells like....curry" lol

Start eating veggies Vickie, you still have a week to get some influence in there lol

I heard that this was true of garlic, but thats probably just a myth!

I've tried doing this but becoming pregnant has made me all the more fussy! My little one certainly is going to be a chocolate addict, to say the least. I believe this is true about tasting the amniotic fluid, they have run 3d scans and saw that baby will even scrunch up his face in discust/stick his tongue out if he doesn't like what he tasted.

See that kinda seems true because my mum got VERY drunk at my uncles wedding when she was 8 months pregnant with my sister and my sister now doesn't like alcohol.

Although if it is true then I'm going to have issues as I'm a really picky eater too.

x

:dohh: I can picture it now. "Here mam, here's your baby. And he smells like....curry" lol

Start eating veggies Vickie, you still have a week to get some influence in there lol

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

The sad thing is that if it's true she's NOT going to like Asian food and Stan is Chinese :rofl:

Hmm...that's interesting if it's true, but how does the taste get through? Wouldn't that mean that our blood must carry the tasty molecules? Though having said that I've known people who sweat onions or garlic if they eat a lot so something gets through somewhere in that case!

:huh:

I hope she doesn't know the taste of all that crap I ate in this pregnancy! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"