• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Teacher gifts, what is etiquette?

littletobyj

Reaction score
I keep seeing loads of ads, especially on facebook for teacher gifts-can anyone help me out here, what is the etiquette?
My son leaves nursery school this year to start primary in September, are thank you gifts for the staff expected? It hadn't occurred to me as I pay quite heavily for him to attend nursery but at the same time I guess one or two staff members have been great and I certainly don't want to be an exception to something that is pretty standard???
Got me thinking about when he starts school-what is the norm?

I think it's pretty normal now for a gift. nothing to expensive. just a small something to say thank you x

I would get a card and if you want a gift maybe a little something from somewhere like Card Factory? https://www.cardfactory.eu.com/shop-by-product/

Oh is a teaching assistant and he got loads of stuff last year!

Note pads
Chocolate
Cider
Fridge magnets
Socks
Loads of cards

Us teachers expect nothing less than diamonds :rofl:

Seriously, I found anything was lovely. From framed pics done by the kids, to chocolates, candles, cards... I once taught in an exclusive private school and I was given presents like gold jewellery and expensive perfumes, that is not the norm though lol

We usually make something, sweets chocs that sort of thing, we moved recently and Lucas has only been at his new school a few weeks, so we dont know what the teacher likes, so I have ordered a box of cupcakes made by a friend :flower:

The nursery that sil works for are not allowed to accept gifts and a friend whos a head of year has the same policey at their school so id check first before spending money.
But both have said things like cards and cakes are never turned down and use the excuse that because its consumable its not classed as a gift to get round it :)

I was a teacher, alot of children got us presents but was not expected. I got flowers, chocolate, wine (to bad i dont drink lol) candles, teddys and mugs. One of the most special was a picture one of the little girls made me of her and me and a home made card. Teaching assistants got simular

We do card (made by kids) and a magnet or choco. My son has 5 people who see to him at school and my daughter has 2 so we dont spend much x

My cousin is a nursery manager and they get lots of Christmas presents and gifts when children leave for school. Mostly they get chocolates, or homemade cakes/biscuits that the children have helped to make. She works at a nursery in an affluent area so sometimes get expensive presents like bouquets of flowers - one Christmas one parent brought in a £50 bottle of perfume for each member of staff - very excessive and she was quite embarrassed.

Isobel has only had one Christmas at nursery so far. There are 10 staff and we didn't want to leave anyone out so we made a gift bag with 10 posh (ish) mini toiletries like hand cream (bought sets but took them out of the packet) for them to split between them. And a box of nice cookies for them to share. Think it cost us about £20.

My son is te same, leaving preschool to go to Reception. I was unsure too, so what I have done is got my son to bake some biscuits and ice them up. Cellophane 3 per bag, and give to each keyworker. There's about 6 and ill do a thankyou card. Cheap and easy ;)

I am a teacher and get presents off about two thirds of the kids at the end of the year. I never expect anything though and am grateful for whatever I'm given. I get LOADS of chocolates and wine mainly, also cups/pens/keyrings/magnets/teddies that have 'Best teacher' sort of solgans on. I love getting anything home made. One of my favourite presents was a bottle of moet and chandon and one of the most unusual was a collectable box of matches! I work in a normal school but my mum was a nursery nurse in a private school anmd once got £150 worth of John lewis vouchers that the parents had clubbed together to get!

I am going to buy an individual present like a bracelet or something for Daisy's key worker at pre-school and a tin of chocs for the rest of the staff and I'm going to get her to make a card.

Oh gosh I had best get something sorted then, I had thought about making something, will have to get my thinking cap on!! It's a private nursery so he doesn't actually finish until the end of August before School starts. Will try to include Toby's input, am sure he would like to help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->