Teenagers waking up - what do you do?

River54

Reaction score
My dd is 16yo, and she still has issues getting up in the morning.

We've tried numerous things that result in me and her being stressed out about it. Finally we talked to her and said that she was old enough to get up on her own and figure out when she is to get to bed, and if she was not up and ready by the time we left, she had to walk to school (20 min), and face the consequences of being late.

She hates missing classes, and this has worked for the majority. And has only resulted in being late 3 times.

We don't like to stress her out, or be mean, etc. She'll have to deal with it soon when she is in college...but just curious...

What do you do with your teen to get them up in the morning?

I would be looking at the other end of the day, if she is having serious problems waking every morning then maybe she needs to be in bed earlier

^ I agree teens need so much more sleep than they tend to think lol. I would buy her one of those alarm clocks that she has to chase to turn off lol

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B004MSMUGI

I don't have teenagers yet so i honestly don't know what i would do.

I do like the way you are giving your teen the responsibility - it sounds like its working too if she's getting herself to school without being late etc :)

Actually, my teenager has been getting herself up and ready since she was 13yrs old. Once we moved, and knew her Dad and I would not be home in the mornings to encourage her- we got her used to getting herself up in time. She actually does great and now get's up earlier! LOL.

Me- on the other hand- I was HORRIBLE at getting myself up on time for school. My mom was having to yell at me to get up so often, she finally just stopped! It made for some late mornings- but eventually, I figured it out. One morning, when I was in grade school she actually picked me up and put me on the front porch in my PJs and blanket! oops- looking back though, I can totally see why she got to that point of frustration with me. I was really bad. The only time I really was mad at her- was I woke up late for a cheer competition and the bus was waiting on ME! So the bus finally had to leave and the assistent coach waited for me to run my butt over to the school so she could drive me. I understand letting kids deal with the consequences- but since other kids and my coach were involved, I prob would not have chose that moment to take a stand as the parent. LOL. I honestly had THE hardest time waking up on my own- I'd even turn the snooze off in my sleep and overslept! It didn't get better till I was out on my own- and eventually, I wake up early on my own regardless. But yea... there were some very rushed mornings!!!!

Sorry I've no better advise- sounds like you've done all you can... and hopefully she will get there on her own. One thing that did tend to help- is I got an alarm clock, made it SUPER loud, and put it on the other side of the room so I was forced to get out of bed to turn it off. Even then- sometimes I'd crawl back in bed and pass out! Geesh.

I'm glad I'm not like that anymore. I'll never be "a morning person"- but I do much better as an adult :)

Thanks!

Yeah, she is the type that just gets up, turns off the alarm, then goes back to sleep. lol...

She doesn't like it (not waking up on time occasionally) - but she is noticing it and knows she has to fix it.

I used to have 3 alarm clocks when I was a teenager. I'd set each one five minutes apart (they were crappy alarm clocks with no snooze button). So I'd turn off the first one, then I'd turn off the second one, and by the third one I was too awake at that point to go back to sleep (having dealt with two clocks previously!).

Oh and I'd put them JUUUUST out of arm's reach, so I actually had to half sit-up to get to them.

To be fair I still find it hard to get up. I hate mornings.

Sounds like you're doing a good job! A teen's natural sleep rhythm actually changes so that their body wants to go to bed and get up later and it's annoying that schools don't take that into account. I'd maybe just knock on the door a few minutes before you're leaving to give her a final warning.

Yeah, that is what I started to do now.
I just knock on the door for a 10 min warning when we are leaving.

Her school starts at 8:10...

Sounds like you're doing a good job! A teen's natural sleep rhythm actually changes so that their body wants to go to bed and get up later and it's annoying that schools don't take that into account. I'd maybe just knock on the door a few minutes before you're leaving to give her a final warning.

Exactly this, teenagers are biologically programmed to wake up late in the morning and research shows that they would learn much better if schools started later. It sounds like you're dealing with it well. And yikes, 8:10 am!

Exactly this, teenagers are biologically programmed to wake up late in the morning and research shows that they would learn much better if schools started later. It sounds like you're dealing with it well. And yikes, 8:10 am!

Couldn't agree more. Such a shame that schools can't start later but then I suppose teenagers would complain they didn't have enough time in the evening :haha:

I'm 16 myself, if I can't get myself up in the morning, it's either because I went to bed wayyyy to late. Or I'm feeling depressed. Obviously now I have no choice to get up.
Make her be in bed by a certain time, if she's still not getting up, I'd ask her how she feels in herself ect. If anything is up at school.
Or, take her phone/laptop whatever she has away for 2 days for everyday she is late. My parents did that when they didn't know I had depression and I forced myself up to make ure I got it back

Does she have sleeping problems? My mum, me + my sister had this and was given sleeping meds by a dr :) they helped get me in a routine. My mood accounted for it too. Not saying your teen has it, but I had depression and friendship problems and it stopped me getting up sometimes (I didnt tell mum, just said I was ill). Now i have pnd and the same problem but have a reason to ger up for school/on a weekend. Does your child know what career path they want? That's helped a lot with my motivation to get up at 6:30 for my 7:25 bus everyday! :) x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->