telephone scam warning

Sarah lo

mum of 2 little monkeys!
Reaction score
You might have already heard about this but I had one of these phone calls today and my MIL has had several so I just wanted to warn everyone. It's from a guy with an Indian accent who claims to be from windows technical support and they tell you there's something wrong with your computer and try to get you to start up your computer so they can talk you through how to fix it. I Hung up on him at this point but when i googled it i foumd that their next step would be for you to grant them access to your computer so they can steal your details!

Here's some more info about the scam

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ows-scam/384589cf-7e86-457b-9d3e-bca59bd12d59

It's a bit daft really because how would they know there's a problem without access? Obviously hoping to prey on some poor person who doesn't really know much about computers.

arseholes! i wouldn't believe it but there are people out there who would.

They called me this morning and have been trying for weeks now. Once before I got very mad and told him to talk my name off their lists... today, I humoured them.

She got me to go into the event viewer and told me the Warnings and Errors were malicious viruses. This is wrong, it's merely a record of the errors that happen with Windows. I know exactly what every one of those things are. Anyways she asked if I knew what they were, I played dumb and said no. She proceeded to go on and say that they were viruses and she was going to transfer me to her supervisor who could help me further.

30 seconds later the same woman came back on. She walked me through the same stuff and then directed me to a website; e-solving.com. Basically they want remote access to your computer, and your credit card information. I've heard they tell some people it costs around $40, who then get billed about $250.

When she directed me to the site, I decided it was time to end the call. I informed her that as a Canadian citizen I have the right to know who's calling, so I wanted her ID number and name. Told her I knew it was a scam, I wasn't an idiot, and I wanted my name removed from their (expletive) list. She forced me to apologize first, lol. She gave me the info and then I demanded again, not very politely, that she take my name off the list. She said she didn't have to do anything, and that they would call back thousands of times if they had to. As if! That's when I had a little fun. She said she would disconnect the call if I didn't start talking nicer to her. So I broke out the sarcasm and told her "oh no, please don't do that! Not when I'm so interested in your scam - I mean, services." She asked if I thought it was funny and I said, "extremely, you're sitting here wasting your time on me, knowing I have no interest in your product, and I'm just having a grand old time upsetting you!". So then she said goodbye and hung up, lol.

They called me this morning and have been trying for weeks now. Once before I got very mad and told him to talk my name off their lists... today, I humoured them.

She got me to go into the event viewer and told me the Warnings and Errors were malicious viruses. This is wrong, it's merely a record of the errors that happen with Windows. I know exactly what every one of those things are. Anyways she asked if I knew what they were, I played dumb and said no. She proceeded to go on and say that they were viruses and she was going to transfer me to her supervisor who could help me further.

30 seconds later the same woman came back on. She walked me through the same stuff and then directed me to a website; e-solving.com. Basically they want remote access to your computer, and your credit card information. I've heard they tell some people it costs around $40, who then get billed about $250.

When she directed me to the site, I decided it was time to end the call. I informed her that as a Canadian citizen I have the right to know who's calling, so I wanted her ID number and name. Told her I knew it was a scam, I wasn't an idiot, and I wanted my name removed from their (expletive) list. She forced me to apologize first, lol. She gave me the info and then I demanded again, not very politely, that she take my name off the list. She said she didn't have to do anything, and that they would call back thousands of times if they had to. As if! That's when I had a little fun. She said she would disconnect the call if I didn't start talking nicer to her. So I broke out the sarcasm and told her "oh no, please don't do that! Not when I'm so interested in your scam - I mean, services." She asked if I thought it was funny and I said, "extremely, you're sitting her wasting your time on me, knowing I have no interest in your product, and I'm just having a grand old time upsetting you!". So then she said goodbye and hung up, lol.

OH MY GOD i love this!!! :rofl:
You can just imagine her face...

I stayed on phone to them chatting like you was fun!! Told him was impossibly only to be told must listen very important (this went on couple times) finally let me speak told him I cannot have windows probs as have a mac computer - he hung up

I've had loads of these phonecalls at work......I told him that the computer didn't have viruses etc & I know this because I am part of the IT team & hung up on him (I'm not part of the IT team), cheeky git phoned me up to ask why I wasn't taking him seriously! Ermmm :dohh:

I've had that one to, they just said that my internet provider had called them and said that i'd been having trouble with my computer being slow and it had a virus, I asked them who were my internet provider then and he said that info was unavailable, thats when I hung up :haha: xx

My mum had something similar recently let him talk for ages before telling him she didn't have a computer :)

I stayed on phone to them chatting like you was fun!! Told him was impossibly only to be told must listen very important (this went on couple times) finally let me speak told him I cannot have windows probs as have a mac computer - he hung up

:xmas13:

Oh there's a lot of this scam being reported lately. Scammers call about virus on PC and then offer to fix it. But their purpose really is to put virus on your PC, make you pay to remove it and actually copy all the information stored on your computer then use it for their gain.

This is why the police always remind the public not to trust calls like that and be wary about callers who's calling about money.

Did you know that a lot of these computer phony calls have been reported to the telephone scams watchdog site called Callercenter? And what's alarming is that these scammers come from everywhere and they're using disposable phones so they're really difficult to locate.

Dont you hate that people are invading on the right to have a phone.. its like you cant own a phone anymore without being subject to annoying scams which can cause less informed people to loose alot of money.

Some phoned my mum a few days ago which she was then panicing until i went to her to show her it was fine. Just shows how its easily done. luckily my mum wont buy online or over the phone but others will fall for this!

I could have written this and they always hang up when you tell them you have mac - although I do usually hang up when it's telesales, last night it was an automated please press 1 to receive your £900 and something PPI claim bla bla bla :dohh: the rest of the time we get telesales calls for the previous tenants :growlmad:

Ugh whenever we get calls like this we lead them on to waste there time and annoy them.
The days I cant be bothered I let the baby babble down the phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->