Telling my toddler

Mrsmac02

TTC #1
Reaction score
Hi ladies,

Does anyone have any advice on how and when is a good time to tell DS he's going to be a big brother?

He's a huge big mummy's boy (I love it!) but he's also the epitome of terrible two at the moment (everything is mine, no or tantrum lately!) and I'm worried about not including him or him being upset by it all.

Definitely waiting until much later on but if anyone has any suggestions about getting older siblings geed up, I'd love to hear them! X

I literally could have written this post word for word about my daughter!! I don't have any advice unfortunately as I was wondering the same thing.

Hopefully some mamas wth experience can give us both some tips! I've heard a few people talk about getting DC1 a dolly so they can copy what you're doing wth baby and can help you, not sure how successful that is. Will do a bit more reading and post any suggestions I find x

I told my daughter and showed her my scan pictures but she didn't understand till her sister was there (she was 2 when her sister arrived). We read books about becoming a big sister and we got her a present and let her choose one for the baby.

I told my kids at 11 weeks and both surprised me with their casual reactions. My daughter is a total mummiea girl and she isn't worried at all.

My son will be 2 in a few weeks. He went with us to my 7 week scan and we told him mommy was having a baby! He's now obsessed with babies lol I bought a Daniel tiger book (he loves him) about being a big brother and now he wants to read the "baby book" constantly. I ask where the baby is and he points to my belly and kisses it! Sometimes he points to his belly and says baby lol

DD will be almost 3 when number 2 arrives, she knows mummy has a baby in her tummy & keeps asking to hold it! She reminds me to take my "baby tummy medicine" too (folic acid lol) and we've got her a big sister top to wear for after our scan next month.
She doesn't really understand too much yet but loves her dolls & role play so hoping she is very helpful when baby is here!

I told my son from 10-11 wks i think saying mummys having a baby & then showed baby 12wk scan piccy, i wasnt sure if he understood hes 3.5yrs but hes been telling everyone at preschool 'Mummy has a baby in her tummy' awww :)

Aww bless! We haven't told DS yet, we want to wait for a while until we feel a bit less in the danger zone of that makes sense?

But we were carrying on the other day and he got quite boisterous. I said careful not to kick mummy's tummy and he said 'mummy's got a baby in her tummy' - out of absolutely nowhere! We honestly have said not a word in front of him as we've been so conscious of mc and not wanting to confuse him if it doesn't work out. And my mum, who is the only other person who knows, absolutely swears she hasn't even told my dad let alone discussed it with him in from of DS. Was a bit freaked out lol! x

Aww its so sweet though, maybe he can sense the change in you especially if you both are very close & hes quite mummyfied ;)

I let my DD come to my ultrasound appointments when I was pregnant with my DS and I let DS come to my ultrasound appointment with this one. DD is 3 so she kind of gets the idea that there is going to be another sibling. She pats my belly and helps me around the house, in particular to pick up after her brother. She even loves on her baby dolls a lot more now and says "awe!" when she picks them up. I'm not sure what DS thinks. Honestly I think he is going to be like how his sister was with him, it won't hit home until the baby is here. I'm glad your DS took it well :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->