Temporary job offer.. Don't know what to do.

BellaBoo0512

Reaction score
I've been applying for jobs for the past 2 months to do admin work in my local town. Yesterday I was contacted by a recruitment agency who came across my CV online. They have offered me a job that I haven't applied for. The job is in the next town which is 2 buses and about 90 mins travel time and the position is temporary until the end of May.

I have accepted the job but they are saying I need to start next week or the position will be given to someone else. I have contacted HMRC and they will help with the costs of childcare. I contacted a nursery local to where I will be working and they have space available for LO but require 2 weeks fees up front, which we just don't have. I'm going to try to get a loan but the last time I tried to get one(18 months ago) I got turned down.

I really don't know what to do.. I don't want to turn the job down but I have only been applying for jobs in my local town for the reason that travelling each day with LO is going to be difficult and a temporary job for such a short amount of time doesn't seem viable when it could take upto 6 weeks for my child tax credits to be changed over.

The agency informed me that after my initial month I could be kept on but I've done agency work before and all they did was mess me about. I have also worked in an agency and know they tell people what they want to hear so they will accept the job.

I just don't know what to do :shrug: if I had of seen this job advertised I wouldn't of applied but now it's being offered to me on a plate.

I wouldn't take it, sounds like a lot of hassle for an admin job. Is the pay good? The recruitment agency are in it for the commission, so will probably mess you around some more with offering a permanent contract. X

I wouldn't take it, sounds like a lot of hassle for an admin job. Is the pay good? The recruitment agency are in it for the commission, so will probably mess you around some more with offering a permanent contract. X

The pay isn't all that good.. £7.00 per hour. I'd be happy to work for that amount for a local job but it does seem like a lot of hassle for a temporary agency job. I just feel guilty turning the job down when I've been desperate for a job :( x

Your son would need to do settling in sessions too.

Your son would need to do settling in sessions too.

What do you mean?

Into nursery. LO's can be strange with unfamiliar places, especially if he's not used to being left with others. Meaning you'd probably need to leave him one hour one day, gradually building up to a full day over a period of time.

If they want you to start so quick I wouldn't. I don't think it'd be fair to put your LO through that ( you don't know how he'll react to being in nursery) and then more than likely need to take him out again when the job ends.

I don't think it's worth the upheaval!

Yeah that does worry me about leaving LO. I know I will have to do it eventually but to put him in nursery full time from the off doesn't seem fair to him. He is with me 24 hours a day 7 days a week apart from when he stays over at his grandparents once a month. I don't know how he would cope being away from me for 6 hours a day.

I hate agencies!

90 min travel with a 1 year old? Is that each way? I wouldn't bother, I feel exhausted just thinking about it!

90 min travel with a 1 year old? Is that each way? I wouldn't bother, I feel exhausted just thinking about it!

Yep that's each way :( I've spoke to the agency today and turned it down. Fingers crossed something else comes along soon x

I think you've done the right thing hun, something more suitable will turn up x

Yeah I'll keep applying and I'm confident something will come along soon! In the meantime I'm going to make the most of being at home with my little man :) x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->