Tens Machine

kiwimama

Soon to be family of 4!
Reaction score
Who used a tens for pain relief and how effective did you find it? Thanks! :flower:

i used one with faiths labour, got me up to 6cms before i had to take it off because the hospital put me on a monitor and there were two many wires but up until then it was great!

I personally thought it was great. It just knocked the top off the pain (which was pretty bad and rendered me speechless). Got me to 10cm and ready to push. Put it on early though needs a bit of time to build up those endorphins.

I used mine all through DS labour. At one point I accidently pulled the wire out of the electrode and shouted at OH to put it in straight away LOL x

Worked well for me and was all I had. You really must put it on early though, like as soon as contractions start, even if they're not that bad. I argued with OH over it but he insisted and i'm glad he did.

Couple of points though, firstly, make sure it's a labour tens. I had no idea before that they were different from others but they are.
Secondly, the actual pulsing of the tens between contractions was quite painful (it goes up to level 10 and I didn't go past 6) and felt like someone flicking my skin constantly, but if you use the booster button when you feel a contraction coming it really helps take the edge off!
Highly recommend it!

I would really recommend it too, used one last time, they're not available here so I'm ordering one from the UK.

I put mine on just before the pessary was inserted (was induced).

Ha ha, I am such a dumbass - I forgot all about the boost until the midwife asked me "aren't you using it?"

Yep, absolutely fantastic invention! It felt weird at first, but you get used to it and it actually starts to feel quite nice! It's great how it masks the pain of your contractions! I had mine on for 7 hours then took it off for the pushing stage when I got into my pool and gave birth to Alex there. x

i started on one, and left the boost on constantly because i was having constant contractions from 3cm. I decided it was just annoying me tho and ripped it off. Im gunna skip the tens next time! X

I would certainly use one again. Two bits of advice from experience:

1: make sure you have a spare battery and that you take it with you when you go to the hospital, if you do go;

2: if you hired your machine, keep the proof of postage after you return it for a LOT longer than you think you need to. Mine got lost in the post, and the hire company came after me for it two months after the rental period had elapsed: it was sheer fluke that I still had the docket.

Hi

I bought one a brand used by medical professionals (verity medical) and I think it would be great for back labour; but for me in the two labours I used it my contractions were in the front of my bump only they were not pleasent or managable by virtue of that fact; but the TENS wouldn't touch them. I got lovely warm fuzzy feelings in my back but the contractions were just as bad. Also the sticky pads don't work so well if they come into contact with sweat (and I personally sweat buckets in labour) and one of the wires came out of the electrode and gave me a shock. I have seen a type of belt where the electrode pads fit in thats specifically designed for labour; but not sure where you'd buy it as I couldn't find it on ebay etc nor the medical suppliers of my particular TENS.

I think it depends what type of labour you have; I have precipitous labour I can go from 0cm to 10cm dilated in under an hour so the contractions are constant, you do find yourself getting used to the strength of the TENS and if the contractions are just one massive big contraction it just doesn't seem to work anymore. I think if your labour is more gradual then it may well be more suited to you. I found it was as cheap if not cheaper to buy and I still have my TENS; it just needs new electrodes. I seem to have an anterior placenta again this time slap bang in the front so maybe I'll end up with back labour and it would hopefully be useful then...

Soph x

Hi

I used a TENS machine when I was induced and managed to get up to 10cm with the TENS and G&A, I loved mine. I did keep on dropping it though and so the poor midwife or DH had to keep picking it up as I couldn't reach it!!

Also - just a small tip, when you come to take it off - remember to turn it off, my poor DH got zapped good and proper as I had completely forgotten to stop it!

Adored mine! I had G&A as well, but it didn't do anything for me and just served to distract me when I needed to turn inward and concentrate on getting through the contraction. My TENS (from Lloyd's pharmacy) was great though. I put it on around 3cm, right before they broke my forewaters (I'd planned a home birth but was in hospital due to my hindwaters breaking at home showing thick meconium). My labour was quite hard due to the waters being broken and the presence of meconium, but I coped very well on the TENS. The only time I "lost it" and thought I needed an epidural was when a stupid doctor examined me and declared that I wasn't as dilated as my previous midwife had said. I think she was wrong anyway, as I delivered soon after; but it really could've put me off track. My labour, from the hindwaters breaking at home to delivery, was under eight hours.

I loved that boost button. Mine had a strap around it, so it was still nearby if I dropped it out of my hand. By the time the midwife took it off me (when I was ready to push), I realised I'd never got it above 6-7. I'd been so distracted and worried by that stupid doctor. I intend to plan a home birth next time around, and I'll be using my TENS again and hopefully won't have anyone messing with my focus.

Yep, absolutely fantastic invention! It felt weird at first, but you get used to it and it actually starts to feel quite nice! It's great how it masks the pain of your contractions! I had mine on for 7 hours then took it off for the pushing stage when I got into my pool and gave birth to Alex there. x

This would be my ideal labour and birth the more I think about it.

This is such a great Thread - I have decided to use a Tens Machine during Labour.

I was thinking that G&A with a tens would be great..and then move to water birth when time to deliver..I dont know if I can do this as I am not good with pain..i cry at the dentist, and period cramps turn me into a baby...so Im not sure I will be able to go through this all without an epidural..but I really would like to!

This would be my ideal labour and birth the more I think about it.

Ditto!
Which remind me I need to book a tens from the pharmacy ASAP

I was thinking that G&A with a tens would be great..and then move to water birth when time to deliver..I dont know if I can do this as I am not good with pain..i cry at the dentist, and period cramps turn me into a baby...so Im not sure I will be able to go through this all without an epidural..but I really would like to!

I turn into a big wimp with pain as well but managed fairly well last time. I think knowing you can do it really does get you far. If you go into your labour thinking your going to need an epidural then chances are that you will end up getting one. Maybe you could try a hypnobirthing class to prepare yourself. I think last time, that could of really helped me get through with no pain relief. I am definately doing a class this time around. :flower:

This is such a great Thread - I have decided to use a Tens Machine during Labour.

Brilliant! :thumbup: The majority of woman I've had opinions from who used one in labour found it really helped. Just make sure you put it on when the first contractions start, even if they seem easy to cope with at first. You need time for your body to build up the natural endorphins etc. that will ease the pain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->