tens machines?

moomin_troll

mummy to zane and corey
Reaction score
well im considering using a tens machine during this labour.
with my first all my contractions were in my back so i thought it might be a good thing to try.

can anyone recomend me a good tens machine or are they just all the same?

i SWEAR by the elle tens with boost button!

i used a normal boots one with isabel...it was utter poo and made me wound up if anything so i barked at OH to get it off

this time with isabel i used the Elle one and it was awesome! you press the boost button during a contraction and i swear it really helped...i laboured with just that up to 9 cms and only went onto gas and air at that point as i'd just reached hospital and it was rude not to take it if offered :haha:

:haha:

its a good job i made this thread as i was actualy looking at the boots machine. i will have gas and air on stand by myself lol

i wasnt sure whether to buy new or rent. im not going to have anymore children so i wouldnt keep it for another birth, i think id end up renting it out i think

think best thing would be decide which one you want, then look at what deals there are to buy...some cost similar to buy or rent so you may as well buy...others are too pricey as a one off!

i brought an orthopedic one off amazon i think i have been able to get replacement pads for it and it doesnt have a "boost" button but the dial is easy enough to turn to adjust it lol, i might hire an easier one for labour though caus the MW's had no clue how to put mine on again after i took it off for a bath lol so it wasnt placed right and didnt work lol, i managed to adjust it though and got through most of my labour with it

I had a Mama TENS rented from my midwives, it was a bit complicated with the programs to be honest - A & B were intermittent pulses which you first set at a level which helped with the pain (1-10), which you then changed to constant buzz using the boost button, at the same 1-10 level as the pulses :wacko: A good distraction fiddling with it though at start/end of contractions! Program C was just constant buzz, again 1-10, but the boost button just cranked it right up to 10 whatever it had been on before and gives you something to squeeze on during the worst of it :) They're all so different but I've heard of ones with timers on for contractions which I personally would have found useful.

I had mine on during very early labour, then put it back on for pushing - wish I'd have kept it on/put it back on sooner!

im planning on birthing in water so i will be using it for early labour until i get in the pool.

there seem to be so many its all very confusing hahaha

I had an elle tens last time and loved it!
You should get some replacement pads though cos mine got a bit unsticky and I used 2 lots.
You can also practise with it daily when you're 38 weeks - just put it on really low and for a very short while - it means that when you go into labour you know where to put the pads (which is tricky to do if you're by yourself) and you know how to work it, without faffing around :haha:

Mine was fantastic! It lasted me 40 hours of labour! But I can't remember the make but I'd def recommend one with a boost button!

yeah boost button is the way forward! it gives you a continual buzz instead of intermittent and i honestly think it mega minimised the pain! i was gutted i didn't read the instructions more carefully as it was only as i was about to take it off that i realised it went much higher than level 5 which i thought was the highest :dohh:

ive had a look at the elle tens and to buy would cost around £70 but to rent for 3 weeks costs £30 and i get 2 extra weeks if needed so think i might go down the renting route.

altho if i bought one i could rent it out for much less then women get in the shops. so im still in 2 minds lol

i guess the only thing to consider is if renting you'd either only be able to rent to trusted friends, else be prepared you may not get the machine back ontime/at all... :shrug:

i guess the only thing to consider is if renting you'd either only be able to rent to trusted friends, else be prepared you may not get the machine back ontime/at all... :shrug:

very true!
i tend to trust people dont really think about the dishonest people who could just not give it back

hospital gave me one in labour and we had a love/hate relationship. lol! it was horrible, it felt like i was getting stabbed in the back several time a second, but it was a welcome distraction and if i dont end up having to have an eletive section (twins) i think ill get one, although like you this is probabaly my last (lol, i say probably when this will be our 2nd and 3rd lol)

with out a doubt this is my last so i dont have to worry about this ever again which im looking forward to hahahaha

i will ask my mw if she has one i could rent as im having a homebirth so cant get one from hospital

ive just seen the elle tens for £34 so thats a bargin and seen as its only £4 more to buy then to rent im going to buy it :D

i will also be able to rent it out thru my doula so i no i can trust the women she lends it too which is a bonus

thanks ladies

ooh sounds like a great deal :thumbup:
its definately the elle tens with boost button? (mine was a purple/lilac colour)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->