Terrible cramps - possible UTI

Cara x

Reaction score
Hi all,

Haven't posted here at all this pregnancy as I've been too scared to jinx things after 2 losses, but I really need some advice so I'm putting my big girl pants on! Apologies in advance for the short novel, there's a few important details surrounding this story!

I'm 14wks+1 and for the past 5 days or so I've had really strong cramps, which I put down to the usual growing and stretching. They are exactly like period pain, even down to the gurgly bowel sounds I usually get right before my period. I have endometriosis too, so I usually have very high pain threshold for cramps. 2 days ago they got really intense and after 4 hours of no relief, I phoned triage, who arranged an appointment for me with early pregnancy first thing in the morning. I only managed 1.5 hours sleep because the pain kept waking me.

The next morning (yesterday), early pregnancy listened to baby with the Doppler (found heartbeat very quickly, all sounding good), and checked my urine. It came back that I had a lot of white blood cells so they were thinking UTI. They also checked my cervix and had a feel of my tummy. All normal. They couldn't scan me as my dating scan was only 6 days before. They told me to wait 2 days for the lab results and then they'll decide what to do.

I know UTIs can feel different in pregnancy and can cause strong cramps, but this just doesn't feel like a UTI. The fact that it feels so much like period pain is terrifying me. I used to get recurrent UTIs so I am very familiar with them. I've had a lot of issues with inflammation in my bladder recently (being investigated for IC) and throughout the pregnancy, but this week has actually been the first time in about a year that my bladder has felt normal! I haven't had any confirmed UTIs in about 2 years, although I realise pregnancy makes you more susceptible to them. I had an ultrasound of my bladder a few weeks ago, which was normal. Also, I have had this several times in the past, where my white cell or red cell count is high, they think I have a UTI, and then it turns out nothing grows in the lab, suggesting that it's inflammation rather than infection.

I know I only have one more day to wait to get the urinalysis results, but I'm worried. I'm still in a lot of pain, although not as constant as before. I still don't have any other urinary symptoms. I have a bit of pain in my cervix and some back cramps, which I dont think far enough to the side to be my kidneys. I can deal with the pain but I'm just concerned that it's pointing to another problem l, and by the time my lab results show no UTI, it's going to be a lot worse, or they're going to just write it off and not investigate further.

Also, I should mention, I've been on long-term antibiotics for prophylaxis (prevention) of UTIs for the entire pregnancy.

Anyone had similar experiences? Or felt similar pain and it was a UTI? Or something else?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi there.

I didn't want to read and run on this post.

While I cannot relate or offer any real advice I just wanted to say hang in there and think positive thoughts!

Best wishes for you mama!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"