Terrified!!

pinkmac85

Mom & pregnant with #2
Reaction score
So I've been reading lots on finger foods and such and I have to say I am TERRIFIED of LeeAnne choking!! She is just on purees right now, actually just re-introduced them this week-shes just over 6months. We started purees at 5months but I don't think she was ready, she was having a hard time digesting them and would be sooo constipated no matter what we tried (extra water, prunes or other softening foods).
I have a little bit before I start her on finger foods because I want to go through all the beginner purees first but I just cant stop panicking about the thought of her trying pieces of toast, etc!
So I guess my question is can babies choke easily on finger foods?? They dont know how to swallow do they??

LeeAnne sometimes gets cold fruit junks that I hold onto and let her bite on (makes her gums feel better) and she sometimes bites a big chunk out but doesn't know what to do with the piece and just spits it out.

I have no idea if I got my point/question across in this post LOL

Think you're just being a normal paranoid mum. I go through the choking anxiety everytime i give my little girl finger foods but fact is you need to trust them and let them try things or she'll be having school dinners through a straw.
At 6 months babies are able to swallow-hence the lessening in drool.
The amount of drool a baby produces when they are trying finger foods is amazing anyway,so physiologically they seem to know that softening up is the name of the game. Just be very close by and keep a careful watch but you've got to let baby try.
As for constipation Ellis had terrible problems at first too,but its getting better now. She's bf and only pooed once a week prior to starting solids so its not really surprising her body was a bit wtf?
Good luck-being a mum is a minefield isn't it?

hiya i worry about the same thing, i gave her some bread earlier and even though its so soft i was terrified of her choking!She got a big bit off and there i was trying to take it out of her mouth lol but i think thats how they learn and its very unlikely they'll choke.Im stil not sure what finger foods they can have at 6 months so i worry every time i give her something new!x x

As long as your LO is sat up when eating, they are very unlikely to choke. The will gag, but this is completely different. Apparently, their gag reflex kicks in sooner than ours, so they gag on the lumps before they are able to choke on them. Does that make sense!? Anyway, it is worrying but after a while you will get used to it and enjoy it. I love watching Dylan feeding himself!

I was the same with Brianna when she first started finger foods. But she occasionally gags but has never choked. She CAN swallow too. She also chews very well. Its fun to watch them too!

I have no advice as I am the same stage as you and am frightened to introduce anything else other than puree.. i am starting to make purees pretty thick now though. Let me know how it goes.

As long as your LO is sat up when eating, they are very unlikely to choke. The will gag, but this is completely different. Apparently, their gag reflex kicks in sooner than ours, so they gag on the lumps before they are able to choke on them. Does that make sense!? Anyway, it is worrying but after a while you will get used to it and enjoy it. I love watching Dylan feeding himself!

I agree with this :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->