Tesco apologises over 'ginger jibe' Christmas card

Beautywithin

Mummy of two
Reaction score
https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/north_yorkshire/8411894.stm

I think this is shocking, no wonder so many reds get bullied,when people see things like this as a joke, and especially about kids

big up all you reds

xx

Awww thanks! TTC at the mo and chances are ours will be a little ginger baby, I'm red headed and hubby was red but turned brown as he got older...

To be honest I see the funny side of it and I know my fellow ginger friends would but if it was to be a jibe at any other minority there would have complete uproar lol!

i dont see what the problem was!! my oh is ginger and thought it was funny, as did i! theres loads of cards on the shelves about bald guys, whats the difference?

I'm a ginger and it is a constant source of hilarity to everyone. I have learnt to laugh at myself and make jokes but at the end of the day, some of these jokes still hurt, in that no one seems to care that one day every year people kick us and laugh at us etc, that we are constantly joked about etc. If had strangers be mean to me in the street because of my hair colour. If it were anything else being mocked then there would be a huge uproar. :shrug:

However I must admit, the card IS quite funny :haha:

Me and my friend who is ginger was discussing this the other night and she said she wasn't offended at all by it.

I think the uproar about it has went too far as per usual. How many jokes is there about blondes? EVERYONE gets stereotyped, not just people with red hair.

I think the uproar was because kids were looking at it and getting upset, rather than adults.

but it was a mother who complained because she saw it? I don't recall reading about any kids finding it upsetting ;\

Me and my friend who is ginger was discussing this the other night and she said she wasn't offended at all by it.

I think the uproar about it has went too far as per usual. How many jokes is there about blondes? EVERYONE gets stereotyped, not just people with red hair.

There is a difference, how many times do you hear people saying oh i bet you hope your baby isnt born with ginger hair, i get it all the time, yet i never hear anyone telling me oh wouldnt it be a shame if your child was born with blonde hair

yes everyone gets stereotyped to some degree, but reds get stick even as a baby, the point is the card was aimed at kids, fair enough if your a adult it is hurtful but you learn to deal with it

but it was a mother who complained because she saw it? I don't recall reading about any kids finding it upsetting ;\

She was shopping with her kids, who are all redheads, when they saw it.

I think she had every right to be upset. Insert any other 'type' of person in there and they wouldn't dream of it. My husband is ginger and laughed at it, but I think the ginger joke is SO old now, and people need to get over it. It's only bloody hair.

"I just thought 'What is so funny about that?' I didn't really get the joke."

Well SOMEONE doesn't have a sense of bloody humour! I have sent this to numerous friends, who are ginger, and most of them mums, and all of them find this funny. They want their kids raised with a slight bit of humour (take it from someone who just left school!), and if you can't laugh about something like this, then you are going to get bullied. Parents should teach their kids to learn to laugh about themselves sometimes, I learnt to laugh about the fact I'm a bit (just a bit *whistles) chubby, my ginger friend tells ALL the ginger jokes to EVERYONE because she's learnt thats the best way to interact with people, and everyone likes her cause she's such a laugh and you can have a good joke with her without worrying about offending her! These kids are a little too young but I guarantee you if they were in year 9/10/11, they would be getting SO much stick for having a mum that takes offence to something like that! (And I know for a fact they would because I've just left year 12)

:flower:

Thats pretty poor for such a big retail company, you'd have thought this would have been reviewed before going on the shelf!

I think it's funny...my OH is a red head...but honestly? I think it should have been directed at adults and not children. That's my main problem with it, Im more upset its making fun of kids.

What upset me like others is making fun of children that can never be right in any cirumctances
xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"