The 3 hour labour

amy1234

Reaction score
My first baby and a rather long story!

Having an irritable uterus which caused irregular (but hourly) tightening for the duration of 3rd tri and a pre-term labour hospital admission at 34 weeks (which was successfully stopped with medication) my baby surprised me and my midwife by staying put until 38 + 4 – this is Rosie’s story!

I went into hospital feeling unwell on the Tues (8th September) with suspected leaking waters – was given the all clear but the midwife confirmed I was 2cm dilated and she thought labour could happen soon as everything seemed ready. The next morning I had my show and then.... nothing!

The following Weds (14th) I went into work and was really aware of bad period pain like back-ache that paracetemol wouldn’t shift. Thurs morning I had my weekly check up at the docs and the back ache had worsened and babys heart beat was up and down on the dopla so I was referred to the hospital for monitoring.

The monitoring suggested early labour with contractions around 5 minutes apart but only peaking for 10 seconds. An internal examination showed me 2cm dilated (still!!) and the midwife offered me a stretch and sweep to help the contractions along which I accepted. They offered me a bed at the hospital or suggested I go home if I felt comfortable for 3 or 4 hours and come back when the contractions were every 3 – 4 mins and lasting longer.

We opted to go home and about 4pm arrived home, excitedly I strapped on my tens, had dinner and I waited for pain! 2 hours later and no change so walked the dog for an hour, had a bath, frequently changed position then finally, at 8pm took off the tens as realised I was electrocuting myself for no reason – it had stopped!! Had a cry and went to bed defeated. Woke up at 1am and felt the back pain again so went downstairs had a cup of tea and timed 3 contractions, still gentle, in an hour so back to bed again!

At 4:15 I woke up again needing a wee and as I went to the loo had a similar back pain but this time I knew it was real – it spread right round my back across my belly and I felt my whole stomach rise up and up and up. I stood up and felt a trickle so sat down again blaming a poor bladder, stood up again and the same thing happened – I then realised it was my waters and shouted for my other half Aidan that something was happening. I called the hospital whilst he got dressed, threw things in the car and wrote a note for the neighbour to feed the dog. As I came down the stairs I started to feel nauseous and remember clutching a carrier bag the whole way to the hospital!

The drive to hospital was hairy, Aidan had only passed his driving test 6 weeks earlier and hadn’t driven on the motorway at night – I was panicking as I was having a contraction every 90 seconds and was convinced we’d have to deliver it ourselves. The tens machine we’d hurriedly strapped on was a life saver as I fiddled with it the whole way whilst clutching the car ceiling and beginning to yelp!

We pulled up at the hospital and struggled up to the labour ward – the midwife wanted to do 5 minutes monitoring but the contractions were coming very fast and the only way we could do it was with me on all fours. At this point I remembered my plan for a water birth and started babbling on about that as well as the fact that if I was only 3 or 4 cm I wasn’t going to be able to cope and would need drugs – it felt like i couldn’t take it if it was going to get any worse! Then the midwife gave me the internal check – it’s terrifying waiting for them to announce how far along you are and my heart was in my mouth, her words “sorry but I’m going to have to go in again and double check on this one”. Then, 30 seconds later ,“I can’t believe it – you’re 9cm gone, you’ll be pushing in half an hour.

Oh my god, I could have kissed her and at that point instantly felt more relaxed and began to think about proper breathing and what was about to happen. They gave me some gas and air which I initially threw at my Aidan and said “It’s not working keep it away from me!” then, a contraction later cried out for another try for it and I was hooked!

I must of only contracted another 10 minutes after that before I had a 15 minute break of nothing but very small waves that felt more manageable I was able to sip some water, ask the midwife if it was a busy night and even give my partner a smile and briefly release his crushed hand!

Then the push stage – it was the strangest sensation and I remembered that the best thing to do is relax and do whatever feels natural for you so, with a fair bit of screaming/ grunting through the first 3 push sensations I lost all my inhibitions. The midwife talked me through pushing the vocal energy into the base of my spine to make the pushing even stronger. This stage was strange, the pain, despite my screaming felt like the most intense, pain but at the same time totally bearable as I knew each scream and push was gradually pushing the baby out. I had 3 – 5 minutes between each push contraction where I was able to switch from what Aidan would explain as “unbelievable screaming noises” to being “overly polite” and apologising for making a fuss and requesting sips of water! The only thing that made me start to panic was when the midwife had to pop out the room as I was convinced it was suddenly going to shoot out and Aidan would have to deliver it!

Aidan was amazing throughout – constantly reassured me, said how well I was doing, kept repeating the midwife who was reminding me to breathe deeply, pant and keeping me posted on what part of the head she could see – it helped hearing it from him as well as the constant commentary made me feel like I was making progress even if it was people saying the same things!

Anyway 30 minutes later, 2 hours after arriving at hospital, at 07:10 little Rosie Naughton (6lbs 10 oz) entered into the world. I did have a 2nd degree tear which was quickly sorted out and whilst they did that Aidan got to hold the baby and I got to watch the 2 of them together to take my mind off it.

The instant I saw her I’d already forgotten about the previous couple of hours and I hand on heart can say that my birth couldn’t have gone any better. A natural, quick delivery and a beautiful baby girl at the end of it.

Attachments

• IMG_1107.jpg
    IMG_1107.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0068.jpg
    IMG_0068.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 21
your birth story is amazing! congratulations :)

She's beautiful x

Well done you

Oh i have tears! LOL
congrats!!!!
hope u heal too!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members