The 34 hour labour of Amy born 21st Nov

sweetthang24

Mum to 1 of each :)
Reaction score
well better late than never so here goes my birth story.

i woke up on 20th Nov (due date) at 4am and was feeling a little sick to my stomach and just not right. i went downstairs to the toilet and sat with the dog for a little while with a drink to see if it would pass. At 5am i went back to bed but by this time i was having very mild period pains.

My OH woke up at 5.30 to go to work and i explained i was having some mild pains but didnt think it was anything. So off to work he trundles and in the meantime im getting pains but they are 20 mins apart and not regular. By 10 am they had completely stopped and i thought it was false labour. Obviously disappointed but thought i would give the house a good clean to see if it got things going again.

I was on my hands and knees hoovering. the house looked immaculate and by 1.30 pm i was having pains again, yay!!!!

My Oh came home from work and my sister was called, as she was driving us to the hospital (OH cant drive). All afternoon the pains were slowly getting closer together, but every time i sat down they would space out massively. So i was standing up and pacing to keep the contractions going. I got though x factor and half of i'm a celebrity before they were under 2 mins apart and i needed some pains relief.

so off we trundled to the hospital(10.30pm), omg sitting in the back of the car with contractions is not fun!!:nope:. We checked in but what had we forgotten?...............................my notes!!!:dohh: great, they wouldn't give me anything or do an exam until they had my notes. half an hour later my sister comes back with my notes and they finally examine me. 5cms dilated, yay!!!

They moved me to the labour ward, its 12am by this point, where i was promptly sick and given diamorphine to take the edge off my contractions. i had the g&a at this point too - that thing was my new best friend and noone was taking it off me:haha: the combination of the 2 was perfect for me and i was able to just breathe through it.

They examined me again at 3am and i was only 7cm dilated, it had slowed right down but the contractions were still coming every 1-2 mins but were really short.

My plug came out then and i was encouraged to get up and move around. I was so tired by this point, nearly 24 hours in labour and i was woozy from the g&a. I remember being asleep inbetween contractions and not able to open my eyes because my lids were so heavy.

They made me some tea and toast at 8am when the midwives changed shifts just to give me some energy. They examined me again at 9am and i was only 8cm's. I could have cried (if i had the energy). They decided to break my waters at this point (its the weirdest feeling in the world) but my contractions were still short.

I carried on labouring until 12.30pm when they decided to put me on the hormone drip to get me to full dilation. Then my contractions were coming fast and lasting alot longer. at 1pm i finally felt pressure in my bottom so was told to push. Your body just takes over and i still have no idea how i did it. I pushed for 48 mins and finally our little girl was born.

Amy Olivia was born at 1.48pm weighing 7lb 11oz (smaller then the 8lb 12oz predicted at my growth scan) and with the cord around her neck.

I didn't tear, graze or need cutting and fully give credit to the midwife for making sure i listened to her. :thumbup:

Overall i went 20 hours without any pain relief and 14 hours with 3 shots of diamorphine and g&a. I didn't swear once and i am really proud of myself for being dignified during labour.

The midwives were all astounded that i managed to push her out, purely because i was literally asleep, i could hear myself snoring. :blush:

It wasn't the pain i was expecting just really uncomfortable and i would do it all again in a heartbeat. :cloud9:

I would like to thank everyone who has given me advice during my pregnancy. I learnt so much from this site that you just dont learn from books or the midwife. :hugs:

Here are some pics. I happen to think she's really scrummy.

amy 2.jpgamy 3.jpgamy 4.jpgamy 5.jpgamy 6.jpg

Oh wow. She's so cute. Congratulations!! Hope you enjoy your little girl very much. xxx

Congratulations, the longest labour I've had was 7 hours and that was tiring enough so well done u its a lovely story

Congratulations, she is beautiful! I LOVE the photo with your dog too, that is so cute x

She's beautiful! lovely story and great pic of the dog looking after her hehe x

huge congratuolations, what a lovely birht story, and she is gorgeous!x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"