The Birth of Evie - better late than never!

Dottie

Reaction score
I never got around to writing my birth story what with the shock of her arriving 6 weeks early and then spending 3 weeks in SCBU, so I thought I would write it now - better late that never eh?

It all started on 10th October 2008, when I was 34 weeks pregnant. I got up to get ready for work and went to the bathroom for a wee, but it just kept coming and coming shouted to my husband that I thought my waters had gone. I rang the hospital and they told me to come in, I kept saying but I'm not sure if it is my waters looking back I was in dinial - it was so obvious that it was my waters.

Got to the hospital and was examined and then hooked up to the monitor, at last check up baby was breech so I was sent for a scan - baby still breech.
Waters had def gone, was given steriod injections to bring on babies lungs and antibiotics to reduce the risk of infection. Was told if nothing happened in next 78 hours I would be able to go home for up to three weeks, but the likely hood was that I would go into labour within the next 48 hours.

After dicussions with many consulatnts who totally confused me already in a state of shock, it was decided that should I go into full labour I would try to give birth to the baby naturally even though it was breech. Discussed that if baby was to come she would go to SCBU.

Settled down in the room had lots of visitors and thought I would be there for a while really didnt think baby was on the way.

Started getting twinges during the afternoon, they got stronger at tea time and I got in the bath. By nine o clock the pain became unbearable and I was begging for pain relief. Was examined and was 5 cm dilated. Was given gas and air - was fab really clamed me down but was just not enough. Was then given an epi and it all goes a bit hazy from this point in. The consulatant on call came in about midnight and said I could start pushing but I really didnt feel the need to, so they were telling me to push. I was then hooked up to a drip to speed things up. Things started to hot up and the whole room went mad around me, there were two consulatants, chief midwife, two other midwifes, and to pediatirions to take baby when it came and of course my husband who was fantastic throughtout.

This is all really muddled in my mind but about half way through pushing baby got distressed I remember the consulatant saying baby needs to come out now, forget about the contractions and push, everyone around me was saying push push and I remember thinking I can't do it but I must. I remember hearing left leg right leg and all different body parts being described as the came out. Baby came out with a pop and my husband said the consultant was pulling her with such force that he nearly dropped her on the floor. Baby was on my chest for a matter of seconds before she was wisked of behind a screen, no crying and it was the worst moment of my life. I just kept asking is it okay? after some resusitation the midwife said baby was fine, and then said do you want to know what it is - then I realised I didnt know If I had a boy or girl !!

It was a girl, 5lbs 13oz born at 3.16 am. The pediotritions put her on my chest for about five mins before they had to take her away to special care and I was stiched up.

Drifted in and out of sleep for a few hours, begging the midwives to let me see the baby but I was loosing too much blood and had to be kept on a drip. Finally about seven hours later I was aloud up to scbu in a wheelchair. It felt strange, and she looked so helpless in the incubator with all the wires and tubes

Evie spent three weeks in SCBU and I stayed in a flat with her, it was a grueling time of expressing, trying at the breast, then tube feeding not sooner had I finished one session it was time to start again. But all the hard work paid off and we went home breast feeding and still are 9 months on !!

The scariest but the best day of my life was when my little princess arrived and I can't wait to do it again !

Im sorry u had such a hard labour but you did an amazing job:) I absolutly love the name Evie!! It was my girls name choice but im having a boy :)

xxx

Hey Babes wondered if you would do one of these! - You and Rick are great parents and well done to you both. Sorry you had a traumatic time with it all :( The next will be alot better :p!!!! Will have to meet up when I next come home - swap baby tips!

All our love

xxxxxx

Hey Babes wondered if you would do one of these! - You and Rick are great parents and well done to you both. Sorry you had a traumatic time with it all :( The next will be alot better :p!!!! Will have to meet up when I next come home - swap baby tips!

All our love

xxxxxx

Thanks hun, can't wait for the next one but am scared of having another premie so wont be till Evie is a little older

Will def have to meet up next time you are around this way, Evie and I would love to meet Ben !

Wow congratulations! Definitely better late than never, thank you for sharing your story with us :) x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->