The Birth of Riley Winter Shields

Beltane

Mother of 3 Boys!
Reaction score
My son made his safe arrival into this world on Tuesday the 8th of June, 2010. Here is his birth story:

I was scheduled to be induced on Monday, June 7th at Lower Bucks Hospital in Bristol,

Pennsylvania. Although I was only 39 weeks, my doctor had agreed to induce me because I have a

family history of precipitous labors. I was already 3 cm dilated 2 weeks prior to my induction and

had my show so I knew my labor was going to be quick. My husband and I got our other two

sons to my Mothers house and headed to our favorite diner before being induced. We ordered

"disco fries" and had some drinks. We met the sweetest waitress who told us a story about her

younger days when she had a run in with the police and ran into a cement pillar and got knocked

unconscious. She explained that she had long blonde hair at the time and that her injuries were

so severe, that the doctors had to shave part of her head to give her stitches. What a story! We

made our way to the hospital at 8:30 pm and headed inside to the emergency room. My husband

carried 6 bags in like a packhorse- what a champ! We headed upstairs to labor and delivery and

they showed us to our birthing room. They had we get into a birthing gown and gave me a cute

pair of baby blue tote socks to keep my feet nice and warm. The nurses started up my saline to

keep me hydrated and then broke my waters around 10:45 pm. It was all clear and actually felt

wonderful flowing out of me. At that point, they called the epidural man to get me set up with

some pain relief. My husband was sent out of the room which I expected from the last baby I

had. Before he got started, he told me to remove all of my facial piercings. Normally, this

wouldn't have been a problem but I wasn't given ANY advanced warning. My last birth (16

months earlier) I was allowed to keep them all in. This is when the panic began because they were

all screwed in very tightly. My contractions were getting extremely painful and now I was

expected to remove surgical steel from my face when I could barely think straight, They called

my husband in to help remove them and he could only get 2 out. I was furious at the epidural

man for putting me in this predicament. I was in so much pain and he could clearly see that but

he was wanted things his way! Finally, he said forget it and sent my husband back out to

continue with the epidural. By this time, the contractions were unbearable. He put my epidural in

making sure to criticize my lower back tattoo whilst doing so. Then he informed me that it

would take 15 minutes for it to kick in. Needless to say, my husband was ready to break his face

after putting me through that ordeal. By around midnight, I was in full relief and very happy

again. Twelve minutes later, I was fully dilated and ready to push. They wanted me to labor down

because he was still up slightly high so I started to push. We took small breaks here and there

and it was very relaxed and enjoyable. I had the mirror in front of me so I was able to see my own

progress. I noticed that I was doing a great job pushing but that I was also pooping a tiny little

bit and was very embarrased. My husband told me it looked like a cute little hersheys chocolate

kiss and told me how cute I was. If that's not love, I don't know what is. After that, time sort of

zoomed by and all of the sudden they were calling my doctor in because my baby was about to

be born. She was napping in another room so they had to wake her. She got into the birthing

room just in time and had me push a few times. The final push, I pushed too hard and she

actually had to tell me to stop! She eased his head out and his body followed with zero effort! He

was born at 1:14 am and absolutely perfect in every way! I asked that the cord not be cut right

away and just let him lay on my chest as I looked at the beautiful miracle we'd produced. After

the cord stopped pulsing, my husband cut it and he got weighed. My doctor gave me a huge hug

and kiss and everything was all over! I had no stitches, no tears, no grazes, no swelling-- no

damage at all! He weighed 6 pounds 7 ounces, 19 inches long and was just perfect in every way

one could imagine. We named him Riley Winter Shields. My labor was fantastic and I would do it

all over in a heartbeat. My husband has been taking care of me for this entire week and I couldn't

have done it without him. I am truly truly blessed!

Attachments

• 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 111
  • 024.jpg
    024.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 101
  • 042.jpg
    042.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 95
Well done, what a fab birth story apart from that d**k anaesthetist lol

Riley is gorgeous, many congrats to you and whole family xxx

Love your birth story hun. I'm so glad it went well for you. Your baby is beautiful and I love his name. How is everyone adjusting to the new arrival? xo

i love ur birth story hun, its quite similiar to mine!! ur little one is gorgeous
well done xx

Congratulations! He is absolutely precious. :flower:

I love his name as well. :hugs:

Congrats!!

Fab birth story and your little man is just gorgeous xxxx

Sounds like it went really well. Pleased for you all :hugs:

congrats on little Riley - he's just beautiful!

Congratulations hun, he is so gorgeous! :cloud9: I :lol:'d at the part about you pooping and your hubby remarking it looked like a hershey's kiss xx You did a great job, well done x

Congratulations on the birth of Riley, he's gorgeous xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->