The birth story of Ryan Alexander 29/10/10 weighing 6lb6oz

loulabump

Mummy to one of each x
Reaction score
Okay this is probably going to be quite long...! :thumbup:

On wednesday 27th my mum brought me a birthing ball, I was fed up of being pregnant and was willing to try anything to try and naturally induce labour.

I was watching the million pound drop and bouncing on the ball, in total I bounced for about 2 hours and started to feel bad backache and a little cramping so decided to give it a rest for the night and go to bed...

I woke up at about 4am with very bad BAD pain in my lower stomach, it felt like I had terrible trapped wind... I tried to go have a number two and pass some gas and tried walking round and changing positions but nothing made it let up. The pain lasted about 30 seconds at a time and came every 15 minutes. I struggled to get back to sleep and eventually got up at 6:30am and started to time the pains...unable to believe that I might actually be going into labour! The pain was getting worse but was still bearable, still lasting 30 seconds but was coming every 6 minutes...I kep bouncing on my ball and dealing with the pain through breathing until about 11am at which point I called my BF and told him to get home from work as I was starting to worry the babies arrival was imminent...I also realised I hadn't felt the little guy move very much so called the hospital who told me to come in so they could check him... of course when I went in they put me on the CTG and he immediately started kicking and didn't stop for half an hour, my little boy likes to make me look like a liar!

I had to wait for my dad to finish work to pick me back up from the hospital as my pains were too bad for me to comfortably get on a bus! So we walked around the hospital grounds for an hour, then went to the cafe and had a drink...still timing my contractions they were now every 2-3 minutes lasting between 40 seconds and 1 minute each...they were so painful i lost my breath each time...I decided since I was already at the hospital I would ring labour and delivery and see if they would check me over...the woman who answered said that because I was only 37+5 that i was unlikely to be in labour and that my body was probably just preparing for the birth and to go home and take some painkillers. I insisted of course that I knew I was in labour and that my contractions were painful and frequent and I wanted to be seen...so she reluctantly told me to come up so she could check me over.

I did, and she didn't do a vaginal examination. She took my BP, felt my tummy and basically judged my pain on the way I was dealing with it..she told me if i was in labour it was very early..she let me rent a tens machine and gave me some codiene and paracetamol to take home..she told me to relax and cope at home for as long as possible.

So I got home around 6pm...I tried bouncing on my ball..changing positions, different breathing techniques...but I was in soo much agony I was wondering how it was possible for it to get any worse...I was writhing around on the sofa in tears not knowing how to deal with the pain...the tens machine and painkillers didnt help at all!

I kept timing the contractions and they were still lasting a minute each and coming every 2 minutes but getting more and more painful each time! by 12pm I was starting to lose it and getting really angry that the pain was getting worse but nothing else seemed to be happening...i went to the bathroom and was happy to see that i had my bloody show!

I decided at this point things seemed to be moving along and i just couldnt cope with the pain on my own anymore...i told l+d and off we went back to the hospital!
when i got there the midwife was wonderful, she gave me to more painkillers...and put me in a nice room with some birthing balls and comfy pillows but i couldnt bring myself to actually use anything... midwife went and ran me a bath which i sat in for about an hour and sorry tmi but watched my bloody show falling out of me lol :haha:

I dried off and went back to the room, got on my hands and knees on the bed and pretty much just moaned and cried and begged my bf to go find the midwife and tell her i needed some stronger pain relief as i couldnt stand it anymore...next thing i know midwife comes back and examines me...sooooo painful! she swept my membranes and told me i was 4cm dilated and that i could move to delivery and try some gas and air... it took 10 minutes to walk down the corridor, honestly contractions were coming so fast and strong i had to keep stopping and starting! Once i got to the delivery room i got strait on gas and air... it did absolutely nothing for me except for give me a dry mouth... i insisted i couldnt continue without something that worked and opted for an epidural... epi was put in and omg BLISS... i did not feel a single contraction and even managed to sleep for an hour... midwife examined me a few hrs later and alas...still only 4cm ... she said my contractions had practically come to a halt due to the epi and had to put me on a drip to increase their strength and frequency to get things moved along...she also burst my waters as they were still in tact... few hours later the worst thing happened... the epidural stopped working on the left side...i have never felt pain like it...the midwife got into a panic and called the aneastatist back to fix whatever had gone wrong, he gave me the strongest dose he was allowed to give and said if that didnt help me then nothing would...i was crying into my pillow feeling excrutiating pain from each contraction which never seemed to stop...after what seemed like days the pain subsided as the epi started to take effect again i was sooo tired and just fell asleep. I slept until about 12pm and the midwife came back and said she was gonna check me again to see how things had progressed...i couldnt believe my ears when she told me she could see his head!! omg!! I had slept from 4cm-10cm...could not believe it! she laughed at me as i couldnt feel anything, probably because of the strength of the epi. she said she would come back in an hour and we would start the pushing! and that she did... i wasnt able to feel my contractions or the baby coming out but i went with the midwife...she told me when i was contracting and i pushed like my life depended on it.. i wanted him out and the whole experience to be over...i wanted my baby...the mw was soo pleased with me cheering me on and telling me how well i was doing despite having no feeling from the waist down! i kept pushing and pushing and at 2:12pm ryan entered the word facing the sky! no wonder the labour was so excruciating!

i had to stay in hospital for 2 days as my blood pressure went sky high and ryan had some trouble feeding...unfortunately he didnt take the the breast and i was so tired and stressed that i decided to ff instead...we are home now and altho the labour was the worst pain i have ever felt i have the most beautiful boy in the world and couldnt be happier!!

piccy attached of him today coming home from the hospital!

Attachments

• ryans journey home.jpg
    ryans journey home.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 38
Congratulations hun! he is gorgeous!! you did so well!! xx

Well done hun - another story which shows how dismissive MW's can be sometimes - Im glad you stood up for yourself = You know what your body is trying too tell you

Gorgeous baby too :hugs:

Lol xx

congrats on the birth of little Ryan - he's just gorgeous!

Congratulations! He's a sweetheart!!

You did amazing - feeling a little scared tho of all the pain!

Congratulations https://s2.bbstatic.com/images/smilies/icon_biggrin.gif his beautiful x

He is beautiful, such a perfect angel.

I love your birth story, thanks for sharing. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"