The breast crawl

I did it with my LO and he latched on after about 1/2 hour. He never latched on after that though, so in my case it didn't help with BF but it was a wonderful experience to see him make his way up to the breast.

I would defo do it again and hopefully be more successful the next time.

It works after as well, my 5 week old did it yesterday - although she wasn't quite there as she fell alseep on the boob when she got there !

thank you for sharing that link, I found it really interesting. Are hospitals quite supportive of this idea? Its something I would really like to try, but worried they will want to pressure me to take baby away first to clean up and for weighing.

thank you for sharing that link, I found it really interesting. Are hospitals quite supportive of this idea? Its something I would really like to try, but worried they will want to pressure me to take baby away first to clean up and for weighing.

You can say that you don't want them to take the baby for cleaning, it's in my birth plan that I want at least an hour with the baby before they take her to be weighed and cleaned :thumbup: It's your baby, tell them to get their mitts off! :D xxx

You can say that you don't want them to take the baby for cleaning, it's in my birth plan that I want at least an hour with the baby before they take her to be weighed and cleaned It's your baby, tell them to get their mitts off! xxx

thank you!! Will put that in my request as well :) xx

I tried it but my lo just kept almost falling off me...I think it would be a wonderful experience if it worked!

Aww the last image in that film is beautiful :)
It really is amazing stuff and very good to know :thumbup:

After I gave birth to Alex, the midwives massaged my tummy to bring on a contraction to help me deliver the placenta naturally - it was 12 minutes from Alex being born to my placenta delivery. They explained to me at the time, that it was routine for them to do this as the massaging mimics the actions of a baby attempting the breast crawl. x

Thats what I've heard too - the kicking of the babies legs causes contractions to start which expells the placenta. Always good imo because the injection they give you to make it come out always makes me :sick: and I WONT be having it this time.

I've seen that video before and it BLEW.MY.MIND!!! I had NO idea that that was possible, did you? I read it within the context of a post about waterbirthing - basically that newborns make their way to the breast by following their nose and that in water birth, mommy smell is washed off. Who cares, really? Put the baby on the breast. But I was really amazed by the abilities of a newborn to do something like that.

I've seen that video before and it BLEW.MY.MIND!!! I had NO idea that that was possible, did you? I read it within the context of a post about waterbirthing - basically that newborns make their way to the breast by following their nose and that in water birth, mommy smell is washed off. Who cares, really? Put the baby on the breast. But I was really amazed by the abilities of a newborn to do something like that.

I was just going to ask if it's still possible for this to work during a waterbirth so it's good know that it doesn't exactly. Doesn't put me off the waterbirth though. I'll just have to help LO along :)

Hi!

I think that, like stated before, getting baby to breastfeed right away is very important for both mom and baby. I personally don't think that the baby becomes a superior nurser because of the "breast crawl", though I don't have any problems with it if that is what a mom wants to do.
I think the main reason that babies do well with this is that if a mom is attempting to do theis, then she has likely done a fair amount of educating herself about the proper ways to get baby to latch on,etc. This will make a huge difference in how the baby learns to nurse. Starting out properly will absolutely help eliminate troubles with breastfeeding.

Breastfeeding also helps mom's uterus to clamp down as it should and gets those hormones rolling for getting milk to come in.

Breastfeeding and skin on skin also helps baby a ton! It helps regulate any irregular breathing and calms baby. It was quite stressful being born you know!

Yes, you can get a baby to nurse well without all that, but it can be more difficult for some babies. I have had babies that had some trouble with nursing (latching issues) and I was watching carefully and knew what to do!

Hope that Helps!
Kim
mom of 9

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back