The chicken or the egg? Progesterone

kdmalk

Reaction score
I have a 13-14 day LP and 31-32 day cycle like clockwork. Had a mmc in Oct/Nov and got pregnant again during Dec/Jan cycle. I felt like my tests weren't getting darker, but my doctor wouldn't do bloodwork until after I missed AF (even though I had a positive test at 9dpo). She thought I was being paranoid/crazy. As a result, I had some red spotting at 16dpo and went immediately for my blood draw. Progesterone was at 3 at that point. She gave me the pills and put me on 3 a day, but it was too late by then.

Chicken or the egg? Was my progesterone so low that it caused the mc, or was my body trying to flush a bad baby and progesterone was low because it needed to come out? Obviously I will never know.

But now I am between doctors (because I hate that I always felt that she thought I was nuts) and DH and I won't give ttc our very best shot this month, but we will probably dtd during the fertile window and see what happens. Now that I have the progesterone, should I be taking it after O or should I wait until the bfp? The reason I ask is because I had told myself I was going to quit dealing with the stress of early testing. If my progesterone is likely okay because of a normal LP length, then I don't want to take it when I don't need it and end up delaying AF at the end of the cycle... but taking it only after a bfp means early testing because I want to give baby the best chance possible. I can't decide if I want to deal with the stress of early testing or annoy myself by waiting until testing at 14dpo and then stopping the progesterone at that point if it is a bfn and having a late AF.

I know we are not a group of doctors, but does it seem like my progesterone is probably okay with a regular LP length and that this last pregnancy was just a bad sperm/egg combo that my body was trying to flush? Or should I be cautious and assume the progesterone caused the problem and take it after O and stop at a bfn?

I recognize that the smartest thing to do is to wait and have a progesterone test, but to schedule appointments and time the testing, it will end up causing us to skip several cycles before knowing the results. I hate to waste so much time (I hope you guys feel the same on this, or I look nuts). Could I have just had horrible luck twice in a row and everything is fine? Advice?

This was very rambly. Hope you can make sense of it.

Hi there! Believe it or not I am in the same exact position as you, I could have written your post!! In October when I mc at 5 weeks my progesterone was also very low but I don't if it's the "chicken or the egg" like you said!! Anyways, after that mc I saw a new doctor who has been wonderful so far. She told me to get my bloodwork done as soon as I know I'm pregnant and take progesterone if needed. Last month I asked her to give me the progesterone regardless and I took it after confirmed ovulation. I did get a faint bfp from 12-14 dpo which didn't get any darker. I went in for blood work and my tests were negative so I got off the progesterone and got my periods 3 days later-- i believe I had a chemical. Basically the progesterone did not help me and only delayed my cycle and cause unnecessary stress about whether to stop it or not because I was so confused if I am truly pregnant or not. I also had a miscarriage earlier in the year, I was able to carry the baby until 10 weeks but lost it because of abnormalities, so I think I don't have a progesterone issue just very bad luck. Honestly I am going to try my best to take it easy this cycle. I'm not going to take the progesterone unless I get a good positive on a pregnancy test on 14dpo. I'll take it regardless if I need it or not but I won't start until I know I'm pregnant because I don't want to delay my cycles for no reason. If this method doesn't work or if I miscarry again then I'll take the progesterone after ovulation.. I'm just going to see what happens I guess. All I know is that the added stress will not help.
I have read many stories that progesterone did help women have a baby but for me it didn't seem to work. Even my doc doesn't believe it works but she doesn't mind me taking it because it won't cause me any harm.

Thanks for your input! I like your plan. Take it if I get a bfp, but test at 14dpo so I don't have to deal with the stress of early testing. My first pregnancy was a mmc, so probably not a progesterone problem if I was able to carry for over 9 weeks with no bleeding.

I guess taking it after confirming ovulation then test at 12 dpo if it bfn then stop it your LP then would be 15 or 16 days so its not a big deal

I thought I would stop at 12 but then there's always a posibility of a late bfp and just gets too hard to decide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->