The IVF lottery - £20 to 'win a baby'

xemmax

mummy in love
Reaction score
The world’s first IVF lottery, which will give would-be* parents the chance to ‘win a baby’, is to launch in Britain.

Tickets for the controversial game will go on sale online later this month, costing £20 each.

The Gambling Commission has granted a licence to charity To Hatch, which offers fertility advice to couples who need IVF.

The jackpot winner will be able to take advantage of £25,000 worth of tailor-made fertility treatments at one of the country’s top clinics.

Last month a damning report by MPs found that nearly three-quarters of NHS trusts are denying women IVF treatment.

Every month, the lottery will* offer couples struggling to conceive the chance to become a parent.* If it is successful, it could run every two weeks.

But critics said the game, which is set to launch on July 30, ‘demeaned’ the nature of human reproduction.

The game is not exclusively for couples. Single, gay and elderly players – who could pass the prize on to friends or family – will be allowed to take part.

Tickets could eventually be sold in newsagents nationwide.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2011676/IVF-lottery-win-baby-launching-Britain.html

Apologies for quoting the DM... It is also reported in other papers.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepa...this-month-offering-chance-to-win-a-baby.html

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/...s-to-be-won-monthly-in-first-IVF-lottery.html

How do you feel about this? It raises all kinds of questions for me.

Not read your links but just off the bit you posted i think while its nice to "win" and get free help with your dream, its not help really think of all the people who would enter this at £20 a ticket they will easy cover the costs plus loads more.. While those who dont win are spending £20 every 2weeks to fund someone elses dream when they could save it.. I also think alot of people who dont maybe need it may enter just for the i like to win things side of it IYKWIM? Will comment again once i have read the links though

I'm in two minds really. They are not really winning a baby as such, more the IVF and medical advice, which to me is like winning a wedding etc. They were going to get the IVF anyway so if its paid for by someone else it shouldn't really matter. Saying that, I don't think it is ethical at all. I am more for the sanctity and respect for natural reproduction and to reduce it to a lottery type situation seems awful. From a spiritual pov, you could argue a baby will be born no matter how it gets here. Confused.

Hmmmmm!

I know a lot of people will hate the idea of this, and probably shoot me down but....I don't know. Saying 'babies will be won' is rubbish really, babies aren't being offered as prizes, treatments are. Fertility treatments are out of reach to many people who would make amazing parents, because of the cost. The creation of human life has already become something that can happen in labs. It has already become a 'lottery' based on which NHS trust area you live in, and hence whether treatment will be funded.

People desperate for a baby will do far worse things than enter a draw to win fertility treatments.

:flower:

I don't like the idea of it! At all. Something just doesn't sit right with me..

Im not sure where i stand with this.

I dont see it as raffling off babies as its only the chance to concieve. If someone won the lottery would them using their winning for ivf be the same?

Its a toughie

I think its quite a good idea, especially for those who cannot get NHS funding and cannot afford to self fund.

Gives hope.

NHS funding is a lottery anyway, so I don't think this is any worse.

Just my opinion though, tempted to buy a ticket myself!

x

The world’s first IVF lottery, which will give would-be* parents the chance to ‘win a baby’, is to launch in Britain.

Tickets for the controversial game will go on sale online later this month, costing £20 each.

The Gambling Commission has granted a licence to charity To Hatch, which offers fertility advice to couples who need IVF.

The jackpot winner will be able to take advantage of £25,000 worth of tailor-made fertility treatments at one of the country’s top clinics.

Last month a damning report by MPs found that nearly three-quarters of NHS trusts are denying women IVF treatment.

Every month, the lottery will* offer couples struggling to conceive the chance to become a parent.* If it is successful, it could run every two weeks.

But critics said the game, which is set to launch on July 30, ‘demeaned’ the nature of human reproduction.

The game is not exclusively for couples. Single, gay and elderly players – who could pass the prize on to friends or family – will be allowed to take part.

Tickets could eventually be sold in newsagents nationwide.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2011676/IVF-lottery-win-baby-launching-Britain.html

Apologies for quoting the DM... It is also reported in other papers.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepa...this-month-offering-chance-to-win-a-baby.html

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/...s-to-be-won-monthly-in-first-IVF-lottery.html

How do you feel about this? It raises all kinds of questions for me.

I see it as simply giving childless couples who cannot afford the extortionate IVF prices, a chance to have a baby.

However with that said, I think that to take part and be eligible they MUST have they to have some kind of fertility testing, past troubles and a Drs referral or something to be eligible. Being able to "pass the prize' is rubbish. If you enter and win, it is for you.

I think the over all idea is a good one, with better guideline and qualifying standards. At the moment it just seems like it's not been thought through very well.

"Lottery" maybe isn't the nicest term, but it is the fairest way.

Hmmmmm!

I know a lot of people will hate the idea of this, and probably shoot me down but....I don't know. Saying 'babies will be won' is rubbish really, babies aren't being offered as prizes, treatments are. Fertility treatments are out of reach to many people who would make amazing parents, because of the cost. The creation of human life has already become something that can happen in labs. It has already become a 'lottery' based on which NHS trust area you live in, and hence whether treatment will be funded.

People desperate for a baby will do far worse things than enter a draw to win fertility treatments.

I agree here! I think it is giving people a tiny bit of hope but on the other hand there is always the possibility of it ruining some peoples lives that could end up pinning all their hopes on this 'lottery'. I think there are more pros than cons to this, but as somebody who has never had to go through anything like this, I am not really qualified to comment. I wonder what the ladies in the TTC section think on this, especially the ladies LTTTC or actually using/used IVF?

Good point re. the LTTTC-ers opinions. I'm not sure if I really count as LTTTC (although it feels like it), but I do think things like this tend to attract criticism from those who wouldn't need it anyway (i.e. those without fertility issues). Not trying to offend anyone at all, but if you find yourself in a position where it doesn't come easy, opinions can change completely :flow: I used to feel iffy about fertility treatments full stop and would have straight away said this 'lottery' thing was a dreadful idea; but having seen the pain of several friends who struggled to conceive, I realised the unfairness of it all. Now that it's not just others, but first-hand personal experience I have of not being able to conceive I am glad my mind was opened to it already.

And yes I'm sure this concept would need to incorporate things like GP referrals and medical examinations, and all those other things that are required when people go for IVF anyway - whether private or not.

Yeah totally. I fell pregnant instantly with both children, and perhaps thats why it is easy for me to hold a negative opinion of IVF and this kind of thing, but as with everything else, it is difficult to really understand and accept another man's choices until you have walked a mile in another his moccasins.

To be honest I don't see why it should bother anyone? It's not like they are auctioning off real live children? :shrug: I will buy a ticket, plain and simple we can't afford £8000+ for the treatment, so ok gambling may be a mugs game, but what else can we do?

Tallybee, I think you raise a vaild point. It's easy to be against fertility treatment if you don't need it, but when you do it becomes a whole different issue. I have never asked for this, and certainly don't want to come under the "infertile" group, but we do and I will do whatever it takes to be able to have my husbands child. I want nothing more in my life. So £20 for a ticket to maybe make that happen? For me its a gamble I will definitely take.

I don't like it... I can't quite pinpoint why, but it seems so wrong :nope:

I'm all for it, though I do think there needs to be better guidelines and not to have just anyone applying. I think it should be for people who need ivf, or for people who should, but won't get funding from their area for one reason or another.

Wanting a baby is the strongest thing I have ever in my entire life felt, the desire to have Chris' baby is completely overwhelming, and if I thought that this would give me the chance to do so (if I needed IVF), then I'd go for it and buy a ticket in a heartbeat

I don't think some people understand how intensive and invasive IVF really is, it's not just wham bam stick an egg and sperm in me I am done, the whole process can take 6 weeks, scans, internal exams, horrible egg retrieval, injecting yourself for weeks on end. I cannot see why someone would WANT to go through it.

And BTW my opinions are as someone who is LTTTC and is basically infertile... I need IVF.

When I started TTC, I used to say, I hope it happens as the thought of IVF scares the crap out of me, well it didn't happen, and IVF still scares the crap out of me. But it's something I have to do, infertility takes over your life, unless you have been through it you really don't understand.

x

I don't think some people understand how intensive and invasive IVF really is, it's not just wham bam stick an egg and sperm in me I am done, the whole process can take 6 weeks, scans, internal exams, horrible egg retrieval, injecting yourself for weeks on end. I cannot see why someone would WANT to go through it.

And BTW my opinions are as someone who is LTTTC and is basically infertile... I need IVF.

When I started TTC, I used to say, I hope it happens as the thought of IVF scares the crap out of me, well it didn't happen, and IVF still scares the crap out of me. But it's something I have to do, infertility takes over your life, unless you have been through it you really don't understand.

x

:hugs: That is what I was trying to say in my post before I have never been in your position with fertility problems so I cannot understand how hard it must be for you and I think that this 'lottery' (terrible word btw) will give many women a bit of hope. We all need a bit of hope. I think the way they have worded the whole thing is bad, calling it a 'lottery' and 'winning a baby'. As you have explained it is a long drawn out process and still not guaranteed a baby at the end of the invasive procedure.

I hope IVF works out for you :hugs:

I'm gonna say here what I've said in the GS thread about this. The tabloidy articles don't give the full story because it doesn't serve their needs. This will NOT result in just anyone and everyone getting IVF, there will be terms and conditions attached. Private clinics don't just treat anyone, however those treatments would be paid for. I do think people are getting upset about the way this has been reported rather than the actual concept, which is understandable because that's how trashy 'journalism' works.

I'm gonna say here what I've said in the GS thread about this. The tabloidy articles don't give the full story because it doesn't serve their needs. This will NOT result in just anyone and everyone getting IVF, there will be terms and conditions attached. Private clinics don't just treat anyone, however those treatments would be paid for. I do think people are getting upset about the way this has been reported rather than the actual concept, which is understandable because that's how trashy 'journalism' works.

Thanks tallybee... I have searched for the actual website but I can't seem to find anything other than news stories.

I would never pretend to know how people who LTTTC feel. What worried me about this story was the regulations of such a 'lottery'. I would love to think that it would be won by people desperate for a child with fertility issues, but the way it has been reported and the fact that it says the prize can be passed on to family members worried me. I would be really interested to see the terms and conditions when they are available.

^ Yes it would be great to know the full details. The fact that source details aren't easily accessible says a lot about the extent to which the tabloid stuff is pure speculation.

^ Yes it would be great to know the full details. The fact that source details aren't easily accessible says a lot about the extent to which the tabloid stuff is pure speculation.

Heres a little bit more from the creator:

The lottery is due to launch on July 30 offering tickets online with a chance of winning fertility treatment from a choice of five private clinics. Entrants must be over 18 and young enough for a fertility clinic to allow treatment.
Lottery numbers will be chosen by a computer and the winner randomly selected. There will be a guaranteed winner on each draw. A quarter of the ticket money will be used to pay for the winner’s IVF, with another quarter going towards To Hatch, which provides online support for childless couples and those experiencing trouble conceiving.

The rest of the takings will go towards VAT and administrative costs, Miss Strachan said. Winners must produce a letter from their GP to show they have been having fertility treatment.

So they DO have to have a letter from the GP to take part.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...nching-Britain-Win-baby-buying-20-ticket.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->