The late birth story of Naveen Bessette

kitten.k

Mother to 1
Reaction score
Can't believe he's almost 3 weeks old... time flies. Well let me write this while it's still fresh. I can't really remember the time some stuff happened though.

I woke up at around 1:48 am on April 29 to strong contractions. I had lost my plug the day before and called Labor & Delivery and they told me not to come in until my contractions were 2-3 minutes apart. So I stayed up and walked around the house counting the time and length of the contractions and they were 3-5 minutes apart. I waited until 3:15am and told my mom, who had woke up to take my step-dad to work. She told me to keep counting until she got back. When she came home they were 2-4 minutes apart. Well she told me to go rest as we both had a hard time believing this was it. See, I had been in L&D countless time before because of labor but it was never intense enough for their liking. So I went and tried to sleep, but was unable. I kept trying to time my labor but the pain was starting to mess up my train of though, so counting was very difficult. At around 7 am we took my little sister to school. My mom asked did anyone want McDonalds since it was on the way to the hospital. I told them No and to keep going. My mom laughed and said this was "it" because of how pissed off I was, she still went to McDonalds. Finally getting to the hospital, an officer came with a wheelchair and rolled me up to the L&D ward. By, this time I was crying from pain and moaning. My sister helped me to the bathroom so I can give a urine sample and then to the bed. They hooked me up to the moniters and after a good hour they came back and checked me. I was 4 cm dilated. My sister's friend came up (he skipped school, but he's a perfect student so the school didn't mind) and started rubbing my lower back. So, they left us for another hour to see how my dilation goes. I taught my sister and her friend (Emory) how to tell if I was having a contraction or not by looking at the monitor, so that they would know when to rub. My sister stopped helping and begin staring at the male doctors. My aunt Tammy came up too. After the hour was up, they came to ask me questions and look at the monitor. Then they put bands on my arm and asked if I wanted pain medicine or the Epidural. Since my contractions were hitting +195 on the monitor (highest is +200), I asked to get the pain meds and tried to stay strong to my decision not to get the epi. Well they wheeled my bed into the delivery room and gave me the meds. They made me really sleepy but I was able to still feel the contractions...just not as strong. After awhile (hours i'm guessing) they came to check my cervix. IT WAS STILL 4 CM DILATED! The nurse said that I was not dilating fast enough. She told me that I would have to get Pitocin. After reading about it on this forum, what she told me was nothing new. So they put it in my I.V. then asked if I wanted more meds (which by the time the pitocin fully kicked in was not having any affect) I told them to give me the epidural since my contractions were now hitting +200. I had to wait for it though since the anesthesiologist was in a C-section. The wait was hell and I was cursing (my mom had left, it was just me and my aunt Tammy). The anesthesiologist finally came after a half hour and gave me the epi. and a little green button to press for when I felt pain. I felt nothing. Then the nurse put in a catheter. After hours passed (and for some reason I kept feeling like I had to poop) a male doctor came in and checked my cervix again and asked me was I ready to meet my baby as I was +2 station. A nurse press my green button and I received more of the epi. into to my back. So, then it was time to push. I pushed and pushed and tried different positions for hours (alot of people were in my room that was family and 2 nurses). Around 7pm my body became really really tired and was giving up on me and I was dehydrating terribly. So the male doctor came back with a female doctor. they told me they had to get the vacuum (suction cup) to get him out. The doctor reached back in to check the baby, which had turned to face the ceiling, and turned him. The female doctor got the suction cup and placed it on the baby's head. I pushed when they said push and whatever the female doctor was doing wasn't good...because he suction cup popped off (saw later that his head was bruised, it's better now). So, they called a Neurologist in the room and she gave the cup to the guy doctor. So, we tried it again and Naveen was born at 8:40pm. My mother cut the cord and squealed because blood got on her. I was so out of it but I watched them clean an weigh him (7 pounds 2 ounces and 19 3/4 inches long). The doctors left, but then the male doctor came back with a male student. The nurse said something to the doctor and then came and brought me Naveen. Apparently, his temperature and heartbeat had dropped and I needed to warm him up and I had a fever. The nurse also told me I had an infection, which came from the area my tooth that I had pulled the week before (they didn't give me antibiotics for it) was. While she explained, the doctor was delivering the placenta and was amazed at how fast something in my body had went back to a small size. Then him and the student stitched me up. Because of the infection, they didn't allow me to breastfeed and took him to the nursery. They didn't know if he was infected or not and didn't want to risk it. I was completely miserable by then. The doctor said the reason it went so long was because of the baby's head position, my epidural was too deep, and something else I didn't catch. I ate some ice, family left, and I fell back to sleep. They gave Naveen back the next day, when I was in my own private recovery room and let me breastfeed him. I got released that Saturaday, but because he still need some antibiotics he had to stay until Sunday and they let me keep the room to stay with him. We did good despite what had happened.

I'm happy I never printed out my birth plan... nothing went smoothly and my mom said I was saying things I don't remember saying. NOW FOR PICTURES!

Attachments

• naveen.jpg
    naveen.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 7
  • naveen2.jpg
    naveen2.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 7
Sorry to hear you had a bit of a nightmare delivery but congratulations, he's gorgeous :) xx

Wow what a time but your little boy is just too handsome and showing off his personality already. Love the pic on the right.

awww hes just gorgeous!! hes so boyish looking if that makes sense lol, like you can just tell hes a boy from pics
congrats :D xx

Congratulations! He is beautiful! I love his name!

Congratulations! Your son is beautiful and healthy. You sound like you are recovering nicely. Welcome to the world Naveen!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->