The Late but Quick Arrival of Miss Anberlin

BrandiCanucks

Mommy of 4, WTT
Reaction score
I began having my second round of bloody show, the first on May 1, around 5:00pm on May 3. I called my midwife to ask if the colour was normal and if it was normal to have clots and she said yes. I had also been having on and off irregular tightenings and cramps which my midwife said was likely early labour, but nothing should come of it and that she'd see me at my appointment the next day and we'd discuss all our preparations for my induction on Thursday. Everything slowed and stopped at bedtime, so I went to bed around midnight.

My son woke up at 2:30am and woke me to clean his potty, but he refused to go back to sleep. For some reason, my son has some sort of intuition. He will have bad nights and not sleep every time my daughter has a hospital appointment for something like an MRI or an EEG. So because he wouldn't sleep, I figured something was going to happen.

10 minutes after he woke, I began having slight contractions lasting 30-40 seconds coming every 2 minutes and was having more show, so I called my midwife at 3:00am. She came to my house to assess me. She did my temperature and blood pressure, the usual things and then said she was going to check me, but that she doubted I was in active labour because of how short my contractions were. Well, the fully effaced and 5cm dilated cervix said otherwise, so we decided to head up to the hospital to break my water since my husband was dead set against the homebirth I wanted.

We got to the hospital around 4:15am where I laboured until my mom arrived at 5:30am. I was still having nice breaks in between the contractions and spent that time updating my groups and Facebook, and generally joking around. At 5:30am, I was 7cm dilated and we broke my water. The student midwife couldn't manuever the amnihook properly so my midwife did it.

With my son, breaking my waters caused me to dilate very quickly. I went from 7cm to 10cm in 3 minutes and 12 minutes later, he was born, so we expected this to go very quickly too. And it did, just not as quickly as we had expected. At 6:30am, I began feeling pressure and started to push gently through the contractions, but as it turned out, I was only 8cm. Transition began to hit at this stage and this is when my pain tolerance and joking nature went right out the window. I got in the shower to let the hot water hit my belly as I was contracting, but they were so intense that I couldn't stay standing through them. I began to feel nauseous and began having hot flashes, but then I had the most incredible rectal pressure of all and it took every ounce of my strength not to push through it. I made it back onto the bed and my body completely took over. I couldn't fight the urge to push and my body just pushed for me. I was surprisingly calm through it all, not screaming like I did with my son, but I did begin to doubt myself and started saying I couldn't do it and to just get her out of me. The pushing began at 6:40am and finished when she was born at 7:15am, on May 4, 2011 7 days late.

I knew she was bigger than my other two, but I didn't expect her to be as big as she was. Miss Anberlin (Maria Kate or Alexandra Maria...we don't know yet) weighed 8lbs 1oz and was 21in long (My other two were 6lbs 6.5oz and 18.5in and 6lbs 12oz and 19in). She arrived after a 4 hour and 45 minute long drug-free labour...no Tylenol, no demerol, no gas and air, no epidural...just as natural as natural can get.

We left the hospital for home at 10:00am and we're both recovering well.

I can't believe she's finally here!

In order of appearance...the Labour Belly Shot, 45 minutes old, 8lbs 1oz and 9 hours old

Attachments

• DSC02923.jpg
    DSC02923.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 93
  • DSC02926.jpg
    DSC02926.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 79
  • DSC02933.jpg
    DSC02933.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 73
  • DSC02937.jpg
    DSC02937.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 63
Congratulations! Sorry you didn't get your homebirth but glad things went pretty smoothly.

Brilliant! I hope to have a birth just like that. Xx

Congrats!!! She is gorgeous!
And YAY for all-natural labour! Both of mine were completely drug-free like yours and I wouldn't have it any other way! :thumbup:

Congrats!!! Good job! And wowza! 8 pounder!!!

Congrats brandi!!! She is so precious... Btw this is steph from ada! :)

Wow! Congrats!!! She's beautiful!!!

Oh my goodness- what a sweetie! Thank goodness she finally decided to show up! And just look at her- she even looks like a stubborn little miss! :lol:

Congratulations Brandi :) She is gorgeous! And you did so well!! Hope you settling in well at home and all the family is doing well :hugs: xx

Congrats Brandi! She's a cutie.

well done! massive congrats, shes gorgeous! xx

Congrats :D musta been a shock at her size considering the size of your other two :haha: x x x

It definitely was, lol! I still can't get over it.

Thank you everyone!

Here's some professional pictures at 2 days old.

https://introducinganberlin.shutterfly.com

amazingly beautiful pictures, Brandi! 'i can't wait for both the girls to be home and have some shots done!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->