The new rule for movements

MommaT

Reaction score
I had a Dr app on Thursday and was asking about fetal movements. My Doc said that the new rule is 6 movements in 2 hours. Apparently they changed the rule (for Canada anyway) last year from 10 movements in 12 hours to 6 movements, at a time when you baby is usually active, in 2 hours. I asked why this had changed and she said that they want us to act more quickly if we notice a decrease in movement.

Wanted to share with all you lovely ladies :hug:

Its ten movements in 2 hours I think in the US now and if you go the first hour with no movements at a time where there normally active and your paying attention your supposed to call right away. Good to know people are getting more serious about movements... I know of a girl who was 39 weeks pregnant and lost her baby... she thought she was still feeling a couple movements a day because of the way the baby just moves in the womb... Needless to say baby had grown wings a week earlier but her doctor kept telling her as long as she felt around 10 movements a day she was fine...

If i go by this I would never leave hospital ...My lil miss wakes at 5~7am then about lunchtime then again in evening ....so i get 3 bouts of regular movements ...that last for about 1 hr so the hours inbetween i would be ringing all time ....my mw in uk says 10 in 12 hrs min or if u notice a change to your babies usaul movements to go in .....thank-you for postin as movements are very important xxx

I'm in Calgary, Alberta Canada and my doctor wants 10 movements every 2 hours. But I don't do kick counts lol

Its not ten movements every two hours. Its ten movements at a time of day when you are lying down and relaxing and baby is normally moving... I was even told to drink some juice first. Then lie down and just make sure you get the ten movements.

Wonder if its the same over here now, I will have to check with my MW next time I see her, thanks for this, take care :hugs: XX

wow thats a big difference from here! i called last week as i was worried, and the midwife told me 10 in a day!!

My one is soooo quiet barely feel him at moment, i keep wondering if he is upto something, come on bubba come and meet mummy !! x:happydance:

My midwife said 10 movements (minimum) per day and if any worries to give them a call. I think we need to be careful with monitoring movements and it's important to call if we are worried but it's also easy to scare people un-necessarily with strict guidelines on what we should feel. All of our babies are different and we get used to their individual patterns xxx

My LO is being very quiet today,he usually wakes me up in the morning and didn't today so I am lyinh on the sofa,drinking juice and concentrating.
My MW said at least 10 separate movements in 12 hours.

I've never been told to have so many movements in a specific time frame. My MW generally asks if i'm ok with the movements and to always call if worried or in doubt. So to me counting is irrelevant as my LO can have a very active few days and then quieter few days.
Just go with your insticnt....if in doubt phone.

xx

If i go by this I would never leave hospital ...My lil miss wakes at 5~7am then about lunchtime then again in evening ....so i get 3 bouts of regular movements ...that last for about 1 hr so the hours inbetween i would be ringing all time ....my mw in uk says 10 in 12 hrs min or if u notice a change to your babies usaul movements to go in .....thank-you for postin as movements are very important xxx
I was thinking this my Megan wasn't overly active but had times she would be same as Caitlin it was always when I went to bed with her and before with Megan moving kicking and then ended with hiccups!

When your active etc you can actually miss these movements too your not always aware of them.

I had a Dr app on Thursday and was asking about fetal movements. My Doc said that the new rule is 6 movements in 2 hours. Apparently they changed the rule (for Canada anyway) last year from 10 movements in 12 hours to 6 movements, at a time when you baby is usually active, in 2 hours. I asked why this had changed and she said that they want us to act more quickly if we notice a decrease in movement.

six in two hours.. lil guy sleeps sometimes lately and has slowed down. He has "his" hours already... usually is calm in the afternoon.. and wide awake and kicking early morning and late at night... he also seems to sleep the same hours as myself (good!)

That's what I was told by my doctor too :)

I got back from hospital an hour ago and he didn't move when the machine was put on for about 20 minutes then had a mad 10 minutes :)

I have ti have a scan in the morning to check placenta flow etc and DR said to me 10 movements in 12 hours,a kick,wriggle,turning,ripple movement etc
Because at this stage its less violent kicks and more wriggles and pokes.

I find it very confusing! My baby has gotten into a routine now though, she is really active around 8 - 10am each day and then quiet period during lunch time and then active again around 2 - 5pm each day and then quiet again and then active around 8 - 10pm.

I think whats most important overall, is if you feel your baby isn't behaving as he/she normally would, you should call labour ward. I don't count every movement and I feel that kick counts are a bit outdated, and can panic people. Just knowing your own body and baby is the most important factor. xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->