The purpose of middle names?

luisa has two..

nicole - this was the name oh picked and i had my heart set on luisa
pierina - is my grandmothers name she passed away 7 weeks before luisa was born

My Daughter's middle names are Tilly Dawn, Tilly is hubbys Gran, and Dawn is my Gran :D

My middles names Elizabeth, i suppose its just another option of a name we like, and for some i spose its meaning aswell :) , and sometimes people have middle names that join there first names, like names such as ,Mary Kate, Lisa Jayne, Katie Louise , my name isnt like that tho, i just got a first, then a middle then a surname.
I like Bayleigh Rose or Bayleigh Marie or Bayleigh Blaze for a girl :) like a double first name.
Spose like i said just meaning and another option :D x

My kids don't have middle names neither does DH or his family.. hes family is Italian.. im not sure if all Italians do the same but i was happy that we didn't have to think of more names for them.. :)

I dont have a middle name and have always wanted one! OH first name is David Paul but since birth his own mums called him Paul! Crazy!

with my eldest i choose his middle name to spite my ex as he said he was having his name as a middle name like he had his dads as a mddle name. he got my choice!

with middle 1 i liked the 2 names he has and we couldnt choose between them.

and with blake, i liked blake OH liked ethan, neither of us was prepaired to give in for a name (but OH did in the end) and therefore we gave him ethan as a middle name.

In my family they use the both grandparents first names....hopefully won't be too bad for our kiddie.

Have fun choosing them :winkwink:

My middle name is Louise and although I didn't like it much growing up (everyone at my school was either something-Louise or something-Jane, or just Louise or Jane) but I do like it now, I think it's quite a grown-up, formal sounding name,

I did look up middle names on the internet and this was one explanation:

It prevents your child from receiving the middle name Nmi. This doesn't happen as much anymore, but about 20 years ago, many computer programs were coded to recognize three names and only three names. If a middle name wasn't indicated, the program would insert NMI, which is military shorthand for “no middle initial.” While most folks do know what this acronym means, there are still some who don't, and if it shows up on a list of any sort, they think it's some exotic middle name. This may seem too silly to be true, but I've seen it and I've heard it more than once.

There was also a suggestion that it originated with Royalty giving their children more than one name to form bonds with others in the same way they married to form bonds with other countries and have allies in battles and wars.

Also naming a child after two or three wealthy relatives was a good way to assure that child would be remembered in the wills.

And of course, as has been said here, to give the child other options as an adult if for some reason they don't want to be known by their first name.

I know someone who has a family tradition to name all first-born boys Graeme but then to give them a unique (to them) middle name that they are actually known by. My friend is called Paul, his dad is Stephen and his son is David but they are all Graeme as a first name.

I also worked with a man named James who prefered to go by his middle name, Trevor but on business cards and things he was J Trevor Surname.

My OH doesn't have a middle name and he spent his childhood inventing one :rofl: so we decided to give caitlyn one so she doesn't have to lol

My OH doesn't have a middle name and he spent his childhood inventing one :rofl: so we decided to give caitlyn one so she doesn't have to lol

I did this too, thank god I am not alone.:haha::haha: I was Natasha Louise. lol.

Partly for that reason (I really wanted one as a child) and partly cos of my husbands family have traditions we gave our children middle names.

Morgan's middle name is William like his Dad, and Granddad, and so on. Naomi-Mae is one name but Mae just went well. Honey I wanted to call Honey Blossom but thought it was a bit much, I hadnt thought of a middle name when she was born sleeping so she stayed as Honey and it is perfect. So when I had her little sister we fell in love with the name Kaysie I gave her Blossom as a middle name as I felt it was sweet but also gave her an indirect connection to her older sister.

I don't have a middle name but i have a double barrel 1st name, I personally hate the 2nd part not the fact its barrelled just the name itself . I don't use it daily, but i do if i'm filling in forms etc . My sons name is Joshua-Lee so double barrelled like mine, Lee is after my brother so the 2nd name has meaning for me, Lee has always been more like a father figure when i grew up so it meant a lot to me. Bump is being called Jaxon-Ted , Again double barrelled to be the same .. Ted was my granddad & meant everything to me so with Jaxon he could also get j.t or ted as he gets older. I have no problem with my children using the 2nd part of their name if they dont like the 1st.

Myself & 1 of my brothers have double barrelled 1st names, but my oldest brother doesn't he just has his 1st name. This was because my dads mum at the time was demanding my mum choose his middle name as " william " after her husband (my dads dad) but my mum said " up yours " basically lol so purposely withheld the 2nd name lol

My Son is Joshua Matthew Edward W****..
He was going to be Joshua Edward as his dads middle name is Edward, his grandads name is Edward and my brother and grandads middle names are Edward..but we realised his initials would be JEW then..so we added Matthew to it so he has his Dads name with Joshua in front and is JMEW instead lol.

the only reason middle names were/are used in our country is to show
who the godparents are, which means boys have a girly middle name and
girls have a male middle name.

not always the case, but very often

We are having a middle name, cause we are greedy and want 2 nice names lol

x

My middle name is Dawn, because I was born......at dawn! :dohh: I don't particularly like it, and rarely use it, but like the fact that I have one. :shrug:

I know this one its for when the child gets in trouble so he/she will know it :haha: I always knew when my mom yelled Letia Candice I might as well run the other way :)

Ive wondered why we have middle names but also am so glad we do as I go by my middle name and hate my first name even thought its my grandmas name also but funny thing is she doesnt go by it either she is Letia Kathrine and goes by Kathrine so why would my mom name me that :shrug: Ive asked and she doesnt know. I just figure my mom is bad at naming because it was her idea to give my aunt the middle name of maime :haha: which my aunt hates!!

middle names are for your records and family history. so like 100 years from now if someones trying to look you up they can find you and tell you apart from the billion other Luke Smiths.

The world is so populated my child will have 2 middle names, so they wont ever have the same name as somebody.

i have 2 middle names
my name is emma jessica clair ozenbrook
its sooooo long! lol
to be honest i love my name!
emma was grandmas name and she died 2 days after i was born and she was in the ICU before i was born, so its an honour to have her name :) jessica clair was going to be my name before my grandma passed away

with my LO, her name will be lilly and isobelle her midle name, its just to make her a little more unique as there will prbably be more thn one lilly in her class etc

My hubs doesn't have a middle name. And I don't think his brother had one either. I don't think he is bothered though to be honest. I have my moms name as my middle name but I don't like it. Both my sisters have middle names too. I like two middle names if we have a boy but I have no clue about one for if bubs is a girl, I definitely don't want to use my name though. I think middle names give a little bit more individuality to a childs name. x

My gran (due to the fact that she is actually an alien - and will be beemed back one day!) had my dad and put just Paul on his birth certificate but has actually never called him that, so he was only Paul at school and she calls him James. So no-one calls him either of his names and calls him Jimmy instead - it can lead to alsorts of confusion! My mum had a lot of trouble sorting out his passport when he got one as he has always called himself Paul James but none of the paperwork matches!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abourne499
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->