The reality of immediate skin-to-skin?

minties

Complete
Reaction score
I've told my midwife and the hospital team that I want immediate skin to skin with baby girl.

However I'm wondering how difficult it will actually be? Flat on my back with an IV in one hand and the other arm in a blood pressure cuff, plus big old boobs flopping off into each armpit (har har) and not much room due to the curtain and also being very short.

Am I dreaming to think this is actually a feasible idea?

I actually think immediate skin to skin would be easier than having a bundled up baby in a bunny rug plonked on your chest as the baby would curl into your body if you know what I mean. I had an EMCS with my third and only a quick plonk of bundled baby on me and I just sort of held an awkward hand on him fir a few moments (he turned blue on my chest and was rushed away to the NICU) and the midwife held him as well. You could sort of tuck her down your gown and nestle her between your boobs. It sounds really nice GL :flower:

I had a CS Friday morning due to baby being breech at a US hospital that really emphasizes mom-baby bonding. Before they did my spinal, the nurses put a soft, stretchy cotton tube top around my upper chest to tuck in baby right after birth.

I ended up being too nauseous and shaky at that moment, but my husband was able to hold her right by my face while they finish. When felt well enough to ask for her, they were literally bandaging my incision, so I got her ~3 mins later when they took me to the recovery area.

If the hospital offers skin to skin in the OR, they usually have a system and extra staff to help make it happen. Just be aware that, depending on how you respond to anesthesia, you may not want to.

Good luck!

They offered me baby but I was too shaky to hold her until I got to recovery. My husband was able to hold her right away though. Very similar to previous poster.

Thanks everyone! I've had two previous c-sections and never had the shakes so I hope I don't get that this time.

I saw my midwife yesterday and she's doubtful I'll get a proper skin to skin cuddle though anyway as they need to maintain a sterile environment and trying to get baby on me won't help the surgical team :-/. I can see it won't be simple but I'll make a fuss and hopefully get some sort of cuddle with baby.

I've got gestational diabetes and also getting my tubes tied, I'm scared I'll be in theatre so long that her sugars will crash.

My c section was an emergency one and I had pushed for a long time before it was done; one of the nurses told me I was shaky because I had been in labor for a while. I think it's a good sign if you weren't shaky in your prior c sections!

I agree that your prior CS experiences sound encouraging. I tend to react pretty strongly to anesthesia and pain medications, so I was not surprised to have issues. If you are worried about baby's sugars, you could try expressing and collecting colostrum ahead of time. If your DH is holding baby, he could try to dropper or syringe feed her right away.

Thanks everyone! I've had two previous c-sections and never had the shakes so I hope I don't get that this time.

I saw my midwife yesterday and she's doubtful I'll get a proper skin to skin cuddle though anyway as they need to maintain a sterile environment and trying to get baby on me won't help the surgical team :-/. I can see it won't be simple but I'll make a fuss and hopefully get some sort of cuddle with baby.

I've got gestational diabetes and also getting my tubes tied, I'm scared I'll be in theatre so long that her sugars will crash.

Stick to your guns! Too bad for the surgical team, all going well you should be able to have skin to skin and put baby to the breast. Have a read up on 'natural Caesarians', I really hope you get your skin to skin :flower:

I was like you and really wanted immediate skin to skin as I also didn't get this with my first and couldn't hold her until about an hour later.

This time I was told I could have immediate skin to skin, however I didn't get it, not really sure why but to be honest I wasn't very comfortable on that stupid narrow bed and didnt push for it,p. The midwife said she was going to keep the baby naked so that when I was in recovery baby could come straight on top of me then.

It ended up being longer than expected as they had to fix my bladder (it had gotten attached to my scar tissue from the original section I had) but I loved the skin to skin even if it was a little longer away from birth than I had hoped.

Go with your gut, and don't be afraid to push if you want it. I would mention it when you go into theatre and say it's super important to you, then if you change your mind/find its not practical then you've made that decision.

Good luck xx

Thank you so much! I will try to be pushy, my midwife sadly can't make it to my section as the hospital rescheduled every section this week and I got moved from Friday afternoon to 7am Thursday and she's attending an induction at that time with another lady. So myself and OH will have to be firm :).

Even if it doesn't work out or it's too awkward I will give it a shot.

Thank you so much! I will try to be pushy, my midwife sadly can't make it to my section as the hospital rescheduled every section this week and I got moved from Friday afternoon to 7am Thursday and she's attending an induction at that time with another lady. So myself and OH will have to be firm :).

Even if it doesn't work out or it's too awkward I will give it a shot.[/

There should still be a midwife in with you from the hospital (I had one, I didn't even know they come in with you but that's the person who checks baby over/does the weighing etc when baby is born) so perhaps just let them know when you're being prepped :flower:

Xx

I didn't end up with skin to skin till much much later as she was not breathing and had an APGAR of 2. We got there in the end though and have made up for lost time :)

I didn't end up with skin to skin till much much later as she was not breathing and had an APGAR of 2. We got there in the end though and have made up for lost time :)

Sorry to hear that minties, I hope,your daughter is feeling better and I hope you're doing ok. Congratulations on the birth :flower: xx

I had to be put to sleep last section and looking to have General anesthetic this time round.

My friend demanded she held the baby after section but all the moving around of her on the table trying to get baby in a sae holding position caused her stomach muscles etc to spasm causing a massive bleed she lost just over 6 pints and the surgical team managed to get the bleeding stopped

It's not an inconvience for the surgical team it's all the medical complications that can happen with movement etc xx

The surgical team were fine with me trying, but like I said it didn't happen anyway as Emma wasn't doing too well.

I was on the table so long that I felt the last 15 minutes of surgery very vividly so that sucked! I had a rupture in my uterus that took ages to repair and they were also tying my tubes.

Was not a very fun experience but I am still glad that I did talk to the team before it all went balls-up and stood up for myself, before Emma came out they were really willing to try and make the skin to skin possible. The surgeon also eased her out very gently, he had her head out for about 30 seconds before pulling her body out and lowered the curtain for me to watch her being born so that was cool.

The only inconvenience that they were worried about was my arm movement making the blood pressure cuff hurt me - they were all so kind. The hospital staff here have never made me feel like I was an inconvenience and my midwife has seen me through two babies and always been supportive of my plans.

Yeah for Ellie being delivered at 31 weeks the surgeon and anesthetist were amazing as it was such a horrendous time. They wanted to put me under before Ellie came as I had started to complain of pain but I just wanted to see the baby alive and well then they could so we did compromise

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->