The South African man...

tina3747

Mummy of 2 gorgeous boys!
Reaction score
Who got handcuffed to a police van and dragged through the street? Has anyone seen the coverage on the news ?? I cried when I saw the video on the news as it said he'd already died in police custody :cry: I just don't want to think about what the 'police' did to him when he got there.
I think he only parked on the wrong side of the street as well. Well done to the person filming it all on his phone, he doesn't want to be named because of repercussions but I'm so glad he did.

Oh my god :cry:

The Guardian reports he died of head injuries and internal bleeding, no doubt he was skinned and potentially his arms broke from being dragged too :(

absolutely disgusting that something like this can happen

Cried at this story today! Absolutely horrific :(

Such a sad story, I hope he gets justice!

Again it's completely bonkers this should have not Bern shown! This is something that has happend before I bet however never been caught on camera. In thease countries there is no justice system people do as they please it's nuts. I'm grateful to live in a country where thease crazy frekin rituals/punishments would not be tolerated!

The fact that the video went viral has triggered a national enquiry

Again it's completely bonkers this should have not Bern shown! This is something that has happend before I bet however never been caught on camera. In thease countries there is no justice system people do as they please it's nuts. I'm grateful to live in a country where thease crazy frekin rituals/punishments would not be tolerated!

I think it should have been shown, unfortunately it may only be the way his family get any justice, i don't think the government can back down to this! I don't know the reasons why (the man filming) has let this video out to media, for his own gain or politically to show what really happens within the joke of a police force. I hope its done some good either way.

It's just awful :(

But I guess it's probably not that rare. That said, although nothing on this scale, the UK police is pretty rife with brutality itself, and if they are rarely/if ever called into question or brought to justice then I guess it's safe to say this definitely wouldn't have been if the video hadn't gone viral.

I'm a South African, living in SA, so I'd like to comment on some of the replies here.

Firstly, it wasn't a South African man. He was Mosambican. Like too many others in this country. It's horrific what happened, but to put some things into perspective in this wild country of ours. There's zenophobia going on BIG TIME. People stream into our country from their (even worse) Northern African countries. And take the jobs away from South Africans. The poor gets extremely upset about this. And the government does nothing to help them or prevent illegal immigrants. About a quater of Zimbabwe has spilled into South Africa with the decline of their own country just in the the past decade.

Secondly, this does NOT happen regularly. Though, we have MAJOR problems with police taking the law into their own hands. It's came to the point where I'm a little scared of the police. But the only other case I know of someone being dragged recently, was the dead body of a man, the dead body of a dog, and before that, a woman being run over by a taxi driver and dragged. He did it on purpose, and the case is still in court. She fortunately (mostly) healed, as well as one could heal from being rip to shreds.

Thirdly, this man most likely didn't "just" park at the wrong side of the road. Police struggle on a DAILY basis with taxi drivers doing JUST what they want to. They cause daily accidents in our country, and almost never abide by the rules. All that matter to them, is getting to as many passengers as possible, to meet their targets to give to the taxi bosses and take their own meagre pay home. Or the taxi boss takes his taxi away from him. So their driving is horrific and has led to way too many road deaths. Pressure are put on police to take care of the taxi problem, but obviously, this wasn't what was meant by that!

Fourthly. We DO have a working justice system. A pretty good and fair one! Unfortunately, it's been under severe pressure the past 20 years due to the ANC's maladministration and their meddling into the independance of the judicial system. They try to appoint "their" cadres whereever they can, which leads to major problems. But, somehow, we're still able to mostly have fair trials.

It's true though that witnesses WILL be bribed/intimidated/etc. and they will be scared to speak up. Very very alarming and sad.

I hope this incident does force the ANC government to really look at the decline of the police force and do something about it. Because if they don't, we're going the way of some of the other African countries and that saddens me so so much.

Disgusting! The report I saw said that other inmates at the prison had seen the poor man being beaten to death by the officers after they had dragged him behind that van! :(

I'm a South African, living in SA, so I'd like to comment on some of the replies here.

Firstly, it wasn't a South African man. He was Mosambican. Like too many others in this country. It's horrific what happened, but to put some things into perspective in this wild country of ours. There's zenophobia going on BIG TIME. People stream into our country from their (even worse) Northern African countries. And take the jobs away from South Africans. The poor gets extremely upset about this. And the government does nothing to help them or prevent illegal immigrants. About a quater of Zimbabwe has spilled into South Africa with the decline of their own country just in the the past decade.

Secondly, this does NOT happen regularly. Though, we have MAJOR problems with police taking the law into their own hands. It's came to the point where I'm a little scared of the police. But the only other case I know of someone being dragged recently, was the dead body of a man, the dead body of a dog, and before that, a woman being run over by a taxi driver and dragged. He did it on purpose, and the case is still in court. She fortunately (mostly) healed, as well as one could heal from being rip to shreds.

Thirdly, this man most likely didn't "just" park at the wrong side of the road. Police struggle on a DAILY basis with taxi drivers doing JUST what they want to. They cause daily accidents in our country, and almost never abide by the rules. All that matter to them, is getting to as many passengers as possible, to meet their targets to give to the taxi bosses and take their own meagre pay home. Or the taxi boss takes his taxi away from him. So their driving is horrific and has led to way too many road deaths. Pressure are put on police to take care of the taxi problem, but obviously, this wasn't what was meant by that!

Fourthly. We DO have a working justice system. A pretty good and fair one! Unfortunately, it's been under severe pressure the past 20 years due to the ANC's maladministration and their meddling into the independance of the judicial system. They try to appoint "their" cadres whereever they can, which leads to major problems. But, somehow, we're still able to mostly have fair trials.

It's true though that witnesses WILL be bribed/intimidated/etc. and they will be scared to speak up. Very very alarming and sad.

I hope this incident does force the ANC government to really look at the decline of the police force and do something about it. Because if they don't, we're going the way of some of the other African countries and that saddens me so so much.

This does not in any way justify what the Police did. People migrate to other countries constantly, like the white folk who went to SA and took over the running of the country for so many years. It doesn't matter, that man deserved real justice not murder due to frustrated Police.

This does not in any way justify what the Police did. People migrate to other countries constantly, like the white folk who went to SA and took over the running of the country for so many years. It doesn't matter, that man deserved real justice not murder due to frustrated Police.
O no, of course I don't justify it!! Gosh, the incident is horrific and NOTHING gave those police officers the right to do that. They're in custody, and justice will prevail. I'm pretty sure they'll get a long sentence each. The government has close ties to Mozambic, and will make sure Macia gets justice. Unfortunately, my thoughts on the issue seems to be on target though, it has come out that it was indeed most likely a zenophobia attack.

I do NOT think zenophobia is acceptable at all. I just wanted to shed light on the motive, because the title of this thread said it was a South African man. It wasn't. Which in my opinion, made it almost worse. That's why I tried to explain the motive and why it's happening here.

On your second point. Do you know that shortly before the "white folk" as you call it, migrated here, the blacks also migrated here? They are just as much colonists here as the whites are. The only people who was here in SA for hundreds of years before any blacks or whites, is the KhoiSan, and they call themselves the brown people in our country. I guess because that's precisely how they look. Their skin colour is a beautiful shade of brown in between white and black. They're a total different culture from the blacks, and they've adapted the white language and made it their own. So their culture is closer to the whites than the blacks in some ways. Anyway, our history is extremely complex and I do realise that what's shown in the media in other countries gave a very skew point of view over the years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->