The time has come to start buying... Help!

ShirlWirl

Reaction score
I need to make a list - I have nothing at the moment. I'm planning on trying to bf but will need bottles too. I do have some stuff that I'm being given - these are:
Moses basket
Travel system
Swing
Sterilising unit
Breast pump

Things I need:
Bottles
BF bras
BF tops
BF nighty
Bottle brush
Nappies
Creams and lotions
Washing lotion
Cotton wool
Baby wipes
6 sleepsuits
6 vests
4 cardy's
Blankets and bedding
Moses basket mattress
Muslin clothes
Bibs
Breast pads
Big maternity pads
Baby bouncer
Bottle warmer

Now my mind has gone blank!
Can you think of anything else I need or stuff on the list that I don't need?

Thanks!

If you get a sterilising starter set (e.g. tommee tippee essentials set) then you'll get a bottle brush, bottles, teats, bottle warmer, bottle bag and dummies all included :) these are around £64.99 from Babies R Us plus there's money off vouchers in their catalogue! I don't know where a outs you are though? UK?

People will buy you things like sleep suits and baby grows and newborn clothing so don't go mad :) you may need a changing mat too? And a dresser to change baby on :)

Also, I didn't spend lots on bedding sets as they are soooooo expensive! Just buy blankets. You may also want a sleeping bag for baby?

Just some suggestions. Good luck :D x

Do you have a baby bath yet? Just thinking of my own list of what I need to still buy... socks, wash cloths/towels, Boppy, baby laundry detergent, diaper bag?

Do you have a baby bath yet? Just thinking of my own list of what I need to still buy... socks, wash cloths/towels, Boppy, baby laundry detergent, diaper bag?

Oh, a baby bath! I've totally forgot about that too! I've got a baby shower tomorrow so if no one gifts us with one, I'll have to go out at the weekend and get one :thumbup:

Also, a couple of little hats?

What about a baby play gym or bouncer so you can have a cup of tea and a cupcake? :D

I found a breastfeeding pillow handy and do you have a car seat and base with your travel system?

I never had one the last time but I wish I had got a baby sling as I have heard so many good reviews about them, I have one on my wish list for this baby!

Bath thermometer and a gro egg are also handy to have :flower:

I've managed to get some great stuff off eBay, brand new!

I've just bought this avent starter baby bottle set: https://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?itemId=111050126838&index=4&nav=SEARCH&nid=38858615723

It's brand new for £11(p&p included) - Boots have the same for £28!

We got the over the bath bath from mothercare, we bought a new one with my eldest but accidentally left it at our old house when we moved. We then found a second hand barely used one for 99p on eBay, local collection only. I found it a huge lifesaver as its at a comfortable height has its own mini plug hole and attached plug and can easily be filled from the shower head or even the taps depending on how your taps are positioned. We never bothered with a changing unit just a changing mat on the bed or sofa in the early days is completely fine. Bear in mind a lot of the lists of stuff you 'really need' for a new baby are drawn up by shops who want to sell you as many of their products as possible.

While what parents need vary this is the stuff I have found it really necessary and even then not all of it is needed right away.

*car seat
*stroller suitable from birth (not absolutely essential)
*carrier or sling (not for everyone)
*a large bag of some type that can be used for changing, doesn't have to be a 'proper' changing bag.
*nail scissors (cheapest one from mothercare works best IMHO)
*soft brush and comb set (cheapest one from mothercare)
*coconut oil (all purpose and can be used like Lansinoh for mum too)
*pure olive oil soap (best to avoid using any toiletries until at least 3 months old though)
*few Muslins or soft large flannels
*about 6 sleepsuits and same amount of babygrows
*cardigan or hoody
*lightweight jacket
*lightweight blanket for car seat/stroller
*baby bath or bath support
*changing mat or even a thick towel
*somewhere to sleep
*cheap bouncy chair (not essential but can be handy)
*sunhat
*whichever nappies and wipes you plan on using
*3 BF bras for mum
*breastpump (this often has a couple of pairs of disposable breast pads in and never needed more than this so no need to buy seperate)
*steriliser (cheap small microwave one is fine for most stuff but check is ok with your breastpump or you could boil the parts in a pan or use Milton)
*sanitary pads for mum for post birth

Xx

Wow Thankyou so much ladies!! I missed out quite a lot!! You wouldn't believe this is my third baby lol! But it has been 8 years and I just can't remember what I needed and the things I didn't really use.
I remember I didn't use the baby bath very much because we just bathed together or used the sink so I might not bother with on of those this time. I am being given a sterilising unit but I'm not sure if it will be of any use as I would like to use the Dr. Browns bottles as I did with my sons (unless I am succesful at BF'ing) and the only thing I found big enough to sterilise them was a big bucket and I used milton - did anyone else use this?

I really appreciate your input - I am going to make a big list now with your helpful input as I am off shopping tomorrow!! Yay!!

Many Thanks!!!

I have the NUK steriliser it is huge inside so can fit any brand of bottles or breastpump parts even ones with loads of fiddly bits. It is usually £45 but I got mine for £23 and I often see it reduced to around that price. It's also a lot easier to descale than other steam sterilisers because the metal plate where the heating element is, is completely detachable from the rest of the unit and therefore it can just be scrubbed clean xx

Gas drops, a good baby thermometer, mittens, breast milk storage bags/bottles, lanolin, and I grabbed some spanx for tummy support after birth. I have heard this helps support the uterus while it shrinks back down. But these are some of the items I grabbed.... :thumbup:

It's also good to wait on a lot of stuff until the baby is here and you can see what you really need. I found I hardly needed anything I thought I did beforehand. Didn't need a baby bath, lotions, shampoos, creams (water is just fine). Didn't need a changing table, nursing tops, nursing bras, stroller, bassinet, crib. There's also no need to buy bottles, a sterilizer, or a bottle brush if you plan on breastfeeding. (I mean unless you plan to pump from the start.) You can always go out and get these things only if you need them! :flower:

I only really needed for the first couple months: cloth nappies, about 20 cheap reusable cloths, newborn clothes. That's it! Seriously! After that I just bought what I needed when it came up.

Thankyou! We weren't going to buy much - just essentials because we are team yellow and want to buy gender specific after the birth but my list is getting longer and longer! I need to be sensible. Wish we did baby showers in UK!!

That would be my advice... Buy only the essentials and as you need. Plus it's a great way to save money. DH and I declined a shower... He's got this whole "we got this mentality". We've done all right plus this is our second so I remembered the things that I just didn't really need ;)

I would like to add, and forgive me if you think I am butting in here. I see that you are getting a used breast pump, make sure that if it is the kind with the tubing/hoses that you get a new set for you. Old tubes are very difficult to sterilize. Great list of things. Also, you might find use for scratch mitts, if your baby like to mess with his face. Socks on the hands will work in a pinch. Good luck!

I got this set as I used Dr browns bottles with DD and found them great. It comes with the steriliser too..
https://www.johnlewis.com/dr-brown's-deluxe-newborn-feeding-gift-set/p231391280?kpid=231391280&s_kenid=3bd2b6ac-62f5-2a69-7a42-000044ed869b&s_kwcid=ppc_pla&tmad=c&tmcampid=73

Thanks wildfire :) It's actually my breast pump but I only used it once and can't see me using it much this time - I hated it! If all goes well with bf I may even buy a new electric one but don't want to splash out yet. Don't feel like you're butting in - I need all the help I can get! xx

I got this set as I used Dr browns bottles with DD and found them great. It comes with the steriliser too..
https://www.johnlewis.com/dr-brown's-deluxe-newborn-feeding-gift-set/p231391280?kpid=231391280&s_kenid=3bd2b6ac-62f5-2a69-7a42-000044ed869b&s_kwcid=ppc_pla&tmad=c&tmcampid=73
Oooo I like that! It's a reasonable price too. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->