The usual early days stuff

Boo44

Mummy of 2 boys
Reaction score
DS2 is 6 days old now. My nips are soooo sore. I've been using lansinoh religiously before and after every feed, and my midwife taught me how to express a tiny bit of milk after a feed and rub it in also. They are still sore, basically a bit cracked at the ends

The midwife checked his latch and said it was fine, just taught me to do a bit more 'tummy to mummy' when positioning him but otherwise no trouble. I just get an intense pain when he first latches on, it makes my eyes water!! Occasionally it lasts throughout the feed

He went from 7lb 3oz to 6lb 12oz which is like 5% of his body weight lost and they don't mind as long as it's less than 10%. He is jaundiced but it's not too bad apparently

My milk only came in yesterday on day 5. He is cluster feeding in the evening and night. My poor nipples! He won't settle in his Moses basket really, he just wants to be near me. I have resorted to basically co sleeping with him and feeding lying down, which has helped but I'm totally worried whether I know how to do it properly and whether I'm putting him at risk in any way?

I know none of these things are unusual in any way. I just wanted somewhere to write it all down! Thanks for reading x

Congrats on you new little boy :)

I had sore nipple right up to when my son was about 4 months old, 2 bouts of thrush and mastitis :( You will get through it. When my nipples were really sore I would use nipple shields with the lansinoh for a couple of days and it helped them to heal then I would put bub back on :)

So my lil one is 4 days old and im right there with u!! It is almost umbearable when he first latches on. I think my milk is starting to come in now because i basically cluster feed ALL day except for a 3 hour space once during the day and once at night when he finally sleeps soundly so my poor nipples are also a lil cracked on the ends :(- on day two i even had a bloster on one. My lil one latches really well but he is small with a small mouth so unfortunately my lactaction consultant said ot will get better as he grows. I have found that before i express some to rub in my nipple i wash my nipples off with warm water to take off his saliva- then rub in a lil of my milk and let dry and then put lanolin on and then cover with a nipple shield so they still get "air" but arent rubbing on my clothes- since iv been doing that the last 24 hours iv seen a huge difference. But i do think that unfortunately we just have to get through these first 2 weeks before it gets much better- motrin has helped me as well.

I remember those days! Sounds like you're doing just fine. It will get better! Scabs formed on my nips and when they fell off it was much better. Took about a fortnight to not be excruciating but then it was fine. Keep up the good work! :)

I feel for you. Those early days are so hard but you're doing a fantastic job.

Co sleeping -
No pillows near baby (I used to use the edge of one so DH had most of it).
Baby on top of duvet (with blanket/sleeping bag)
Baby on one side (never between two adults)
Lay on your side in a 'C' shape around baby

We've been co-sleeping since birth. It wasn't a conscience decision but like yours my baby wanted me and was easier when she was cluster feeding. Your nipples will get use to the work they are doing. It does get better I promise. Keep slapping on that Lansinoh :flower:

Agree with all said above by Emz!
I remember those days! We went back into hospital as Ds did lose 10 percent and was jaundiced but actually it was the best thing as I got amazing bf support on the ward! Silver lining. Sounds like you're doing amazingly.

My advice:

- keep smothering on the Lansinoh after every feed
- don't worry about calling bfn helpline or nct bfing line or la leche league for help
- find out if there are bf supporters who will come to your home - fab support
- find out about and go to a local bf baby group - so helpful to be with moms who are going through the same
- look on youtube for positioning and attachment videos - some really helpful ones when you want to try another hold
- find a buddy on here with a baby the same age as yours and message each other - I did this and it was so good to get it all off our chests via fb and to be writing down silly little things that were actually worrying us or getting us down and to hear the other mom say yep that is happening here too... priceless.

As for latch, the best thing that helped me was the bf supporter who noticed I was trying to feed while holding the baby as if I was cradling him to sleep with his head in the nook of my arm... not the best position for bf and I was constantly trying to hold the boob in. Put baby's head right infront of the boob so that his back is totally along your tummy, bum under other arm and legs going around your side so baby is in an L shape. Try that x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->