the wierd birth of cody finley ray

newmummy2011

Reaction score
This is a VERY long birth story so put your feet up with a cuppa! :) :coffee:

Since 37 weeks, i was in early labour. i had contractions for 8-10 hours at a time. (proper contractions, not braxton hicks) but nothing ever stayed and it allways died off for atleast a few hours and i was 1cm dilated.

when i hit 40 weeks i was in slow labour, not that anyone realised at the time... they put my 'pains' down to the fact i had SPD. i was getting regular pains and tightenings in my pelvis (my belly wasnt contracting though), yet i had dilated 2 whole cm's by the time i hit 41 weeks (dilating 2 cm's in a week was a sure sign i was in labour! (even the midwife said that!) :). the babys due date was the 28th of jan and i was due to be induced on the 9th of feb so with only 2 days to go, i was itching for this too be the sure thing!

At my MW appt on the 7th of feb at 2.00pm,i was complaining of regular tightenings in my pelvis that was accompanied by pains in my back. these lasted 1-2 minutes and came between 3-8 minutes apart. this had been happening all week and the pain and tightenings had got more and more frequent every day, it was so painful it woke me up everytime i had one and it made me say "ow ow ow" everytime.i was 3cm dilated. i new i was in labour ( even if it was slow) and no one believed me! (just because my belly wasnt contracting and the pains werent every set time e.g every 5 mins etc etc). By 8.00pm that night, i got my partner to ring up the assessment centre and said i wanted to be assessed wether they like it or not as they have been shrugging this off for so long.We got there by half 9, and they put me in a room. they told me to take my underwear off so they could check my cervix and by 1AM i was still waiting! I was getting pretty upset by this point because i was in alot of pain and then i was waiting 3 hours for someone to come and check me!! Someone finally came and said i was 5cm dilated (so i had dilated another 2 cm since 2pm) BUT still, my stomach wasnt contracting so they told me i wasnt in labour! :hissy: whether you are getting contractions in your stomach or not, the fact that i had dilated 2cm in 12 hours was a sure sign i was in proper labour....

With alot of persuasion, they took me too the maternaty ward as i was due to get induced on the 9th anyway. i was refused any type of pain relief as ' they want to wait till i am in 'established' labour before they give me anything'.. that was it. i cried as i was in so much pain and was dilating but they ignored it as my belly wasnt having tightenings and my contractions werent 100% regular.

5AM came along (it is now the 8th) and they reluctantly agreed to give me some diamorphe (i wanted gas and air but that is not allowed when your not in 'proper' labour.)The diamorphe made me so tired and i was shattered anyway as i hadnt had alot of sleep because of the contractions so i kept falling asleep in between contractions then waking up to them everytime 1 came along.
At 7AM My partner had to nip home to get my hospital bag and babys bag as i didnt expect them to keep me in and i thought they was just going to send me away but he needed to wait till i was asleep as i was really scared:haha: he was back by 8 and i had slept on and off through out the hour.
10AM came and they checked my cervix and i was 6-7 cms dilated!! NOW everyone believed i was in labour!! woohoo!!:happydance: i cried a sigh of relief and asked for something better than diamorphe as i was too exhausted to even move but was in so much pain. (i really wanted a natural birth but as i was in slow labour for a week, i had no energy and was worried i wouldnt be able to push out little one if i had just had gas and air so needed the epidural so i could catch up on some sleep!) Within minutes a anastheatist came in and gave me one as the nurses etc were apologising for not doing anything sooner and said it was very rare for contractions to be infrquent and someones belly not to contract and them not be in labour.
The epidural was done wrong, it numbed my left leg and that was it so i had to wait an hour and half for it to be re-done as they wanted to make sure the epidural definately didnt work. After an hour and half, i had it re done and within 10 mins i was pain free. i was asleep within minutes and was really happy. :thumbup::sleep: i was on and off all day and by 2pm they checked my cervix and i hadnt dilated anymore. They broke my waters and it had meconium in it so it looked green with brownish bits in it. My partner said it looked like pea soup! :haha: My cervix stayed the same after that so they gave me the drip that was supposed to start contractions but the babys heartbeat kept dipping to 80beats per min (babys heartbeat was supposed to be between 125-150.) They put a clip on babys head to keep a better eye on his heartbeat and also took a blood sample from his head :( i was a bit upset as i didnt want it too hurt him but they said they would freeze his head where they were gunna do it so it didnt hurt. As they was doing it, i told them i felt like i needed to poo or trump but wasnt sure cos i was really numb cos of the epi.. within minutes, as they was trying to take the blood, i let out a trump right in one of the doctors faces!! :dohh: i was mortified :nope: i kept apologising but they assured me it could not be helped.
6PM came and still hadnt dilated any further.. :dohh: i was getting a little impatient as i just wanted to push and see him.

Next minute, they are telling me i have to have a c-section as babys heartbeat started dropping again and i hadnt dilated and was stuck at 6-7cms (one side was 6, one side was 7.) So they handed me a form to sign and i could hardly even write because of how exhausted i was and it did not look like my signature but they said it was fine. I was starting to get scared now and kept telling my pertner how scared i was and he re assured me. They highered the dose of the epidural and put a frozen test tube on my belly to see if it was enough i could slightly feel it in places and i wasnt taking any chances as i didnt want them to get half way through cutting and then i start to feel it so they highered the dose of the epidural even more. My partner put his hand on my head and came and looked me in the eyes and told me how much he loved me and tried to keep me as calm as possible as i was bricking it at this point and just wanted to run away and keep my legs tightly closed and not give birth any more. I told them to stop just before they started cutting and told them i wanted to be put to sleep instead but then said i didnt as my partner wouldnt of been able to stay.
18.36 came along and baby cody arrived! My partner started crying and told me how much he loved me. i was offered a hold of little legs but i was too scared too as i was still drugged up on morphine and was exhausted and laid flat on my back and didnt want to drop him so told OH that he could hold him first.

I fell asleep and woke up four hours later. I had skin to skin and breastfed and i was really happy because he got the hang of latching on within minutes :) He is now 5 days old and i am recovering from the surgery but my partner is helping me tremendously and i am having plenty of bonding with little legs as he likes to feed hourly and use me as a paicifier. He has a really cute little squeal and got weighed today and he weighs 5LB 12OZ <--- He is SO tiny considering he was 11 days overdue! (He was born 6lb 6OZ but has lost a bit of weight as i wasnt holding him properly when i was breastfeeding so he didnt get as much milk as he was supposed to get but he is sorted now and i am doing it right :thumbup:) He is such a good baby and only cries when he is starving (when he is just peckish he just sucks his hand and keeps opening and closing his mouth. it is really funny, he is like a goldfish!)

i have atatched a photo! :) Thanks for reading! :)

Attachments

• 071.jpg
    071.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 110
congrats.

so glad it all ended well. take it easy and enjoy being waited on by oh lol.

:rofl:a Trump right in the docs face:rofl: cngrats he is gorgeous X

Congrats! :) He is an absolute stunner.

PS I love the zebra swing too!

that must of been frustrating for you being in pain n not bein believed n scarey but worth it:)
congratulations & welcome to the world little man

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->