They said this is the last opition......

tmd22

Reaction score
Well I would love some advice......

I have desperately been trying to BF. my son is one month old. I have PCOS and was told BF would be difficult and milk would be difficult to come in. I have tried everything including vitamins and meds and can't increase my supply. I have been pumping and I can only pump 2 oz at a time.

I'm devastated bc I want to BF so bad and it breaks my heart to see ppl bf for two years and thinking I can't do it. Any advice would be great or someone who has the same issue.

Is that 2oz after feeding or are you solely expressing? How has your lo's weight gain been? x

How much you pump is not an indication of how much you can make at all, some people just don't respond well to a pump. Anyway at your baby's age I doubt your baby is drinking more than 3oz a feed anyway, their tummys are still tiny.

Is this the only reason why you think your supply is low?

I agree with others. When I was pumping after I was "finished" and it didn't seem like any would come out LO could still get almost a full feed afterwards!

I have no idea about why pcos would make bf hard (sorry!) Do you take metformin?

"The Breastfeeding Mother's Guide to Making More Milk" has information about increasing milk supply and several sections devoted specifically to breastfeeding with pcos. I have not read it myself. https://www.amazon.com/Breastfeeding-Mothers-Guide-Making-More/dp/007159857X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386518920&sr=8-1&keywords=The+Breastfeeding+Mother%27s+Guide+to+Making+More+Milk

Does lo seem satisfied? Does he have wet and dirty diapers? Why do you think you are not producing enough?

Things to naturally increase your supply is to have LOTS of skin-to-skin contact, fenugreeek. Your body knows when you are close to your baby, some hormonal thing I think, and will naturally produce more. Offer him your boob all the time and let him eat whenever he wants. Nipple stimulation (from pumping too) will help increase supply, even if there isn't much coming out when you pump.

If lo is having plenty of wet diapers and is not losing weight, it would be ill-advised to just assume that pcos is going to result in low milk supply. Don't worry about pumping. What you pump really means nothing in terms of how your supply is. PCOS actually has an incredible range of outcomes in terms of milk supply. Sometimes it can increase your tendency towards low, many times it has little to no effect, and sometimes it can increase your tendency towards oversupply. I don't imagine the doctor would put you back on metformin so quickly postpartum, but consider a conversation with him where you discuss postponing restarting your medication if you're currently taking it and believe you're experiencing low supply.
The best course of action is to treat it like anything else affecting supply-- with frequent nursing, plenty of food and water, lots of skin-to-skin, and count those diapers. We're still breastfeeding with pcos and I pumped to supply donor milk while nursing-- pcos is not a supply death sentence.

I have pcos and breastfed two of my children for 23 and 34 months.
I could only pump 1-2 ounces and it took ages! Baby gets better results at the breast than a pump does,so you dont neccessarily have low supply.
If baby.is peeing,pooing and satisfied after a feed,I think you are doing fine.2 Oz (even IF that is all baby gets) would be fine for a new baby and the more you feed it will increase to meet babys needs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->