Jess137

Pregnant w/1st - 3rd Tri!
Reaction score
I'll give them that! And sneaky...

Attachments

• 295006_643685872313940_2128394692_n.jpg
    295006_643685872313940_2128394692_n.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 162
I really hate advertisements. For anything, not just formula. They're all so misleading it's disgusting.

Formula aimed at breastfed babies. I guess breastfeeding must be digging into their profits.

Whatever your reasons for supplementing remember that any amount of breast milk is better than none, even if you nurse just once or twice a day.

BTW, Hello fellow Junebug! How are you doing?

Ok...been having contractions for days so I really want this baby out!

How are you?

I'm doing well. Hopefully your LO will be here soon.

This was sent out to you??? I just assumed it was hanging out at a supermarket or something. That's really low of them. Formula is one thing that really should be nationalized. There should be nothing in place that rewards anyone for making a baby's food source as poor quality as possible to sell for as much as possible while spending billions to undermine superior nourishment. Innocents shouldn't be subjected to the whims of the free market. :nope:

My son is on prescription formula and am grateful that formula is an option when needed. Plus many mums don't get on with bf as a personal preference and I don't see how that ad is anti bf at all.

The problem is a lot of mom's give up on breast feeding because they don't have the proper support to continue and work through their road blocks. And it doesn't matter if you signed up or not this was sent out to any mom who's hospital gave similac their information breastfeeding or not,along with coupons. Formula companies do this because that coupon looks really good when the days get tough, and it's easier to take that coupon and get formula sometimes than get help.

No one is saying formula is bad. We're saying the companies are clever and sneaky in how they advertise.

By the way, the anti bf part is where it says you can be confident your baby's getting everything she needs (because EBF babies aren't?) and focus on the joy of each and every moment (because breastfeeding means you can't?)

My son is on prescription formula and am grateful that formula is an option when needed. Plus many mums don't get on with bf as a personal preference and I don't see how that ad is anti bf at all.

Formula should absolutely be an option when needed. But it should be the highest quality possible. Not produced by a company whose main concern is profits and will therefore sacrifice some quality in the name of making money by cutting 3c off production/unit. And not one who's going to artificially inflate their reputation by pumping up certain vitamins to unabsorbable amounts and trying to fool consumers into thinking there's an actual difference between most brands. And not one who will send representatives out to maternity units and pediatricians offices to host "seminars" filled with false information to try and trick as many people who want to bf into thinking they need formula. It's obvious in how many women think they "don't make enough" that formula companies have spent more time undermining bf than actually improving their product. I love my child. And I love your child. And I love the woman down the street's child. If they happen to be bottlefed, I want them to actually have the highest quality of milk possible, not what greedy douchebags think is "good enough to pass minimum regulatory standards". Btw, not a rant at you, just a rant. :flower:

One of our biggest worries when EBF is whether our baby is getting enough. We are encouraged to supplement, just so we know they are getting something. When you choose to BF you don't want to see advertisement that encourages you to supplement with formula. Supplementing has been shown to decrease supply and often contributes to mother’s to stop breastfeeding. Nowhere in the literature does it mention that.

No one is saying formula is bad. We're saying the companies are clever and sneaky in how they advertise.

By the way, the anti bf part is where it says you can be confident your baby's getting everything she needs (because EBF babies aren't?) and focus on the joy of each and every moment (because breastfeeding means you can't?)

I read that as formula can provide all she needs as breast milk would, and don't beat yourself up about not ebf, just enjoy the moments. This is an ad aiming at supplementing so they understand the guilt some women have about not ebf and how some women think very lowly of formula, I think they're acknowledging that and using that as a sales point.

Guess I'm just cynical then? But remember, to all intents and purposes, formula companies don't want you to breastfeed because it's less money for them. And if you do breastfeed, they want you to at least buy some formula rather than all that tedious pumping.

I can just see a helpful husband coming home with a carton of this- 'look honey, I picked up this special formula for breastfed babies. Now I can do some feeds and you can have some rest.'- not realising that giving formula rather than expressing some feeds will interfere with her supply. After all, they wouldn't make it if it wasn't safe to give baby, and they'd warn you of any possible side effects, wouldn't they?

Or helpful in-laws 'Your milk can't possibly satisfy baby till she's 6 months (yes, my inlaws did say this). Look, there's this new formula for breastfed babies, they wouldn't have made it if it wasn't necessary (following on from the thought that follow on formula is absolutely necessary at 6 months +)'

This is a dangerous thought as many mums worry that their breastmilk isn't enough. For example, a mum came to my local breastfeeding support group, worried that her milk wasn't enough for baby. Baby was 3 months old, I can't remember exactly how much he weighed but he was in 6-9 month clothing (having to roll the sleeves and legs up though!), he is around 2 months younger than Robyn and outweighs her (and she's 75th centile for weight so not small). Does that sound like a baby who's being starved? But I can imagine mum falling into the trap of giving a little supplementation just to be on the safe side, when medically there was no need.

I was reading a thread in baby club yesterday, and the OP's 4 month old baby was refusing the breast, I guess it's fairly common as I have seen a few threads (and started some!) on here about it over the past 7 months. However, in baby club there were a fair few people taking the line of 'stick them on formula, baby's obviously ready to move on, at least you tried, etc' which I found rather sad, as with a bit of work baby could be encouraged to nurse again.

Again, I'm not anti formula. I may sometimes come across that way because I'm determined to EBF, and pro bf statements may sometimes, especially on the internet, come across as anti ff (not my intention). But formula companies just want to sell their product by any means possible, they're not interested in the effect it has on mum and baby. Thank goodness they're not allowed to give free samples in the UK, or advertise formula for babies under 6 months and I hope they're not allowed to advertise products like this either.

I read that as formula can provide all she needs as breast milk would, and don't beat yourself up about not ebf, just enjoy the moments. This is an ad aiming at supplementing so they understand the guilt some women have about not ebf and how some women think very lowly of formula, I think they're acknowledging that and using that as a sales point.

This formula costs quite a bit more than a normal formula as well. So it is really cynical xx

I get what you mean. My sister chose to ff her first and was almost acting pleased when my lo was on ff even though I was gutted. When she had her second 4m after my ds, she had a perfect latch, really. Good feeder but gave up in 3 days because she had to do the school run for her eldest and didn't ask the other muks for help :(

Yep, there was a mum at baby group the other day who stopped breastfeeding as soon as they came out of hospital because 'they wanted to know how much milk she was taking'. No mention of any difficulties.

People shouldn't have to go through hardships to earn the right to use formula. For some people it just works better for their family. People should be free to make a choice, not have one rammed down their throats - from either side!

People shouldn't have to go through hardships to earn the right to use formula. For some people it just works better for their family. People should be free to make a choice, not have one rammed down their throats - from either side!

I'm about to become super unpopular, but I really hate any arguments about the "right" to choose formula. When does the baby get a say in the decision that usually affects them more than anyone else? Infants shouldn't have to go through hardships (increased risk of SIDS, constipation, higher risk of obesity, stomach upset, etc) just because some parents perceive it as being more convenient. I can understand debate about rights during pregnancy, but I will never understand how it could ever be argued that a mother's rights will trump her baby's after the birth. Formula should not be a right. When used, it should be a medical necessity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"