Things to buy for your after vag birth care?

Willow87

Reaction score
I bought some Arnica Tablets as I heard they are brilliant and I also bought This thing on amazon called Earth Mama Angel Baby Bottom Spray that helps with soreness.

Does the hospital provide anything for after care?

I know in america they provide you with certain things but I'm not sure about the UK.

There's not really much you will need to be honest. Arnica and as much routine pain relief you want (regardless of breast feeding) are best as these will encourage you to get up and about and therefore promote healing.

The worst things would be ice packs, and sitting on rubber ring.

The best thing I had after my labor was tea bags....yes, tea bags...soak black tea bags in hot water until they are good and soaked, then squeeze out most but not all liquid, put a towel under your bum...then lay back and relax with the tea bags on your pieces and parts....do this 3-4 times a day for 5-10 minutes each time....

Hope it works as good for you, as it did for me!!!

Witch hazel pads. They r cold and feel rly good and soothing..I even froze mine. And I loved ice packs too they gave me these like pad ice packs in the hospital one of those break and shake ones and it was attached to a pad. Idk where you would find those but if they offer them at the hospital take extras! I took extras of everything the giant diaper pads, ice packs, big hospital undies, witch hazel pads, dermoplast spray, preperation h (stock up if u have hemmorhoids!!) And the peri bottle...that got me through the first days home..I felt pretty normal tho by like 5days pp. But I didn't tear or anything..the hemorrhoids have been the worst part for me

In the US, all we get at the hospital is a squirty bottle thing to use after you go to the bathroom. After I gave birth to my daughter, I got an ice pack pad. AMAZING!

Only thing you need thats of alot of use is a good memory.
Last time I kept forgetting and sitting down suddenly then shouting out alot of swear words :)

Tea tree oil and lavender oil to put in the bath if you tear. Arnica tablets to help with bruising. Paracetamol and ibruprophen. Maternity pads soaked in witch hazel and a few drops of tea tree oil then frozen (try freezing them in a bowl so they get a nice curved shape) feel great to sit on. A rubber ring to sit on also helps take the pressure off sore bits :)

I've picked up a pack of Depends. Those net underwear with pads are really hard to use by yourself. I just stuck an extra pad in the depends last time and changed just that unless it went beyond the pad. I got a new Depends daily if it didn't get dirty before.

Thanks guys these ideas are great! Can I use distilled witch hazel to soak on a pad?

I got some witch hazel wipes from the hospital which were great - no way was I using toilet paper down there! They're actually for haemorrhoids. I also had a bottle of witch hazel which I wet toilet paper with when I ran out of the wipes.

The hospital gave me a squirt bottle to run water over my bits while peeing which was definitely a necessity.

Also I used a TON of pads. Get ones with a cotton top not the dry weave kind because stitches can get stuck in those.

Witch hazel was a life saver for me, I just soaked my pads in it, neat not diluted. Also I was advised to have a jug of warm water handy for when peeing to help soothe. The hospitals here in the UK don't provide you with anything (could differ in different places but not heard of anyone getting anything) A box of paracetamol in your hospital bag would be handy too x

I'm in the US and my hsp gave me witch hazel pads, lidocaine spray (I think that's what it is), a sitz bath thingy and a squirt bottle. Tbh, I had my baby 9 days ago and the witch hazel pads were great for a few days but after about 3 days I was just fine down there. I had an episotomy (not sure how to spell it), plus a tear near my urethra that needed stitches, but still, after 3 days I was fine. My bleeding was only moderate too and by day 5 I was using panty liners. Maybe I jsut got lucky with the pain thing as I didn't have that much at all.

Does the witch hazel not sting and where do you buy it?

Athena the first new days when I was still rly...raw down there they tingled a little but not painful...by about day 4 they just felt rly good cuz of the cold and it seemed to help with the itching from hemorrhoids snd from healing in general.

Db-I'm almost 3 weeks out n still bleeding! Just started being able to use panty liners like 2 days ago

Does the witch hazel not sting and where do you buy it?

No, some women say it stings a little but it didn't for me, just lovely and cold feeling. You can buy it pretty much anywhere, tescos (most supermarkets) or the chemist should do it :) You may have to ask at the pharmacy counter in some supermarkets though.

I second the lavendar and tea tree oil for in your baths, helped me so much with healing x

Ok,here's my weird weeing tip to go along with the usual wee whilst pouring warm water down there (which helped but still created many a swear word).....straddle the loo, facing the cistern to pee, everything opens up a bit more getting less wee on the sore bits! Lifesaver when someone told me five days after the birth!

Otherwise ice packs, witch hazel and paracetamol.
X

Thanks girls, going to get some tmw when I do my shopping, think its a fab idea to freeze them too :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->