Think I'm anaemic

Sarah Lou 80

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm just debating whether to make a doctors appointment.

I have a feeling I might be a bit anaemic. I am constantly tired even though I'm getting 9 hours sleep every night. I find myself short of breath and feeling giddy. I've had the odd heart palpitation too. Just generally so lethargic and, by late afternoon, I feel like I could pass out.

I remember being a bit anaemic when I was younger but the doctor said it wasn't so bad that I'd need to do anything about it (?!) I eat fairly well. Have a mixture of foods including a fair amount of broccoli, dark green veg, dark and light meats.

My OH wants me to make a doctors appointment, but I feel like he will just tell me to increase iron rich foods in my diet (which obviously I can and will).

I know it's a daft question but I hate going to the docs (not sure anybody enjoys it!) should I just try and sort it out myself or go and get checked anyway?! I hate feeling like I might be wasting their time!

I'm that tired that I can't even decide this for myself!!

I was anaemic again earlier this year, (it tends to happen if I don't keep an eye on myself - I have bad periods and I sometimes take the calorie counting/exercise thing a bit too seriously when my moods are low!). Once I recognised it, diet changes and forcing myself to relax started improving things within a few days.

How long has this been going on for? If you are already keeping an eye on your diet and making sure you are getting enough iron then it sounds like you are already doing the bits you need to and could do with getting your blood tested to check things out. I'm rubbish at making myself go to the doctors as well - but that is what doctors are there for hun :flower:

I would probably concentrate on eating extra iron-rich foods for a while and see if that helps or possibly some supplements, but there would be no harm going to the doctor if you're at all worried. If they do a blood test now, they'll probably tell you to try fixing it with diet if it's not too bad, but at least you'll know where you are from the blood test and then you have something to compare to in a while.

Thanks ladies....I think I will try increasing my iron intake through my diet for a week or so and then see about going to the doctors if it's no better. I do eat iron rich foods though but maybe I'll get a few extra things that might help and see how it goes.

With regards to supplements, does anyone know the best ones to take? I was taking floradix for a bit when I was pregnant but would it be best to try b12?

I would try b12 and iron as that what it sounds like..

Im currently taking betteryou b12 boost spray and spatone for iron to see if it boosts my energy levels... But also have booked an appt as i would rather know whats causing my symptoms instead of second guessing

I would try b12 and iron as that what it sounds like..

Im currently taking betteryou b12 boost spray and spatone for iron to see if it boosts my energy levels... But also have booked an appt as i would rather know whats causing my symptoms instead of second guessing

This is what I'm thinking too. I think I want to know what's causing this as well. I've started on supplements. I don't know how long they would take to work but it takes ages to get an appointment at my docs so will get one booked on ASAP I think!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->