Think I'm done :-(

SarahP13

Mummy to a princess :-)
Reaction score
I think I've decided to start weaning DD2. She is 16 months old and only feeds twice a day, morning and night.

I guess there are two main reasons for me quitting, the first being hayfever. This will be the fifth summer that I've been pregnant or breast feeding and not being able to take hayfever medication means I have a miserable summer- well, April to September really. I've tried eye drops, nasal sprays, local honey (and honey is probably my least favourite food- I can't stand it!). I've been taking loratidine which is all my doctor will agree to and only occasionally, not every day, but it doesn't help much. I've heard this summer is going to be a bad one for hayfever sufferers and I've been battling with sore, itchy eyes and sneezing my head off for weeks already. At this rate I will not be able to take the girls for picnics, to the park, or even play in the garden and they love being outside. Some days I can't drive because my eyes are so bad so we have to cancel play dates, it's not fair on them. If I can take my usual tablets we can do all that no problem but they are not recommended for breast feeding mums.

My second reason is that her latch is very painful lately, it doesn't matter how many times I unlatch her she doesn't improve and it really hurts! I think she's just lazy and it's more of a comfort suck rather than a proper feed, she even grins at me when I say ow! She drinks plenty of cows milk quite happily, she pops off the breast and points straight to her sippy cup wanting milk so there's no problem with that but she does pull at my top when she wants a feed so I don't think it'll be plain sailing. DD1 was weaned at 14 months, I was pregnant and I think my milk must have been affected. I just didn't offer it to her and she wasn't bothered.

No reason for this post really, just needed to write down my reasons I think! I'm happy that I've given her this long but sad that it's come to an end :cry:

Well done for making it to 16months!! What an achievement.

Xx

Thank you Angel. I keep feeling down on myself about it but I know 16 months is a good age to get to. I'd tell anyone else they'd done a great job but can't seem to tell myself that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->