Think I've got PCOS...what to expect from first GP appt

day_dreamer

TTC #1 with a donor
Reaction score
Hi eveyone,

I think I may have PCOS...I've had irregular periods for years but just recently they seem to be coming to a grounding halt…I’ve only had 1 this year, and have got increasingly spotty. I am overweight and find it really difficult to lose weight, and seem to spend time every day plucking unwanted excess hair (TMI sorry!)

So I’ve finally plucked up the courage to book a GP appointment (I avoid the doctors like the plague!) my appt is on Saturday and I was wondering what to expect.

My girlfriend and I are wanting to TTC now (using an anon donor) and I don’t know what the doctor might say. Because we’re not actively trying, are they likely to not do anything to help me or refer me any further…I am eating a healthy, low GI diet and trying my best to lose weight but am struggling…and I’m worried I’ll get fobbed off because we haven’t been TTC for a year. But I can’t afford 12 months of donor inseminations 

Can anyone shed some light on what happened on their first appointment please?

Thanks,
x

Hi Hun, I'm Sorry I Don't Have Any Experience In This, But I Wish You The Best Of Luck TTC :flower:

You Might Get Some More Answers In This Section

xx:flower:

I think first the GP will look at your PCOS symptoms and do some blood tests and an ultra sound scan to confirm PCOS or not. If you mention you ar trying to conceive the GP may do an ovulation blood test but it will be difficult to work out the right day if you have irregular cycles.

The fertility thing is a bit different.......

I work in the medical profession and know a bit about referring only in my area.

You could be referred to a gynacologist for the PCOS then mention you are TTC... see what they say.
It is usually 12 months of TTC to be referred to a fertility clinic although they may bypass this if they find a problem ie. you have PCOS and are not ovulating.

I think you'll know more and be able to ask some focussed questions re TTc once you have a diagnosis.
If your PCOS is treated you may not need fertility treatment.
good luck
xxx

Saw the doctor this morning. She said i most likely had PCOS but she has to do day 2 LH and FSH bloods and also day 21 progesterone bloods. So whenever my period shows up i have to go for them. She's also referring me for an ultrasound of my ovaries.

Apparently she HAS to do these bloods before referring me to the hospital, it's the rules.

From then, she doesn't know how much more they can help me because she doesn't know how compatible assisted ovulation is with home donor insemination especially if we want to get sperm from a clinic...suggested it might be easier to use a friend...anyway said that they could drill my ovaries to kick start them or maybe try clomid.

And she said I have to try and lose more weight. I only have about 1.5st to lose to be a healthy weight but its bloody hard lol

sounds like you are on your way to a diagnosis, hun
good luck
x

I'm pretty sure I have PCOS too- will get tested probably when the semester ends.

Maybe you and your OH could try establishing a super healthy lifestyle together. It might be easier if she is also having to eat healthier foods also- I know from experience it is NOT easy trying to eat well when the person living with you can eat whatever!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->