Think I've got....

MummaMoo

Mum to my gorgeous girl!
Reaction score
Blocked milk ducts in my boob.....

Baby is still getting SOME milk from it, but not so much - it hurts before, during and after feeds (like a needle is being pushed into my nipple). I tried to express from it before and the nipple just ended up big and hard.
Got a couple of white bits on the nipple which I assume are "blebs" that I've read about..

Anyone else had experience with this?

Try applying heat and massaging towards the nipple whilst baby is feeding. Try to change the position of feeding so the baby's chin is near the blocked milk duct. Feed as much as possible as baby sucking can be more effective than expressing. I found it really painful. It ended up as mastitis for me. You will know if you have that as you will feel generally ill and very feverish. Some also say put cabbage leaves in your bra but it needs to be Savoy cabbage.

Thank you for your advice :flower:

I am getting Sophie to feed from that one more often now. I think I had the same situation with my other boob last week and did the same - that's ok now but I guess giving the left one more attention last week has caused this!! Argh!

Same advice as pp, you can use moist heat to help loosen the duct (warm shower running right on them can help, or a hot, wet washcloth laid on it). Feed baby with baby's chin facing the direction of the blockage to try and encourage it unblocking. This can be awkward if you typically always feed one way, but it really does help. Also, massage breast from outer breast in toward nipple to encourage the blockage to loosen and come out.

I had it happen a few times while bf my boys, and it typically took 24-48 hours to get it fully unblocked and back to feeling normal.

Thank you :flower:

The only thing is, I can't feel any lumps so I think it's just where the milk comes out that's blocked... So hopefully it'll sort out quite quickly. Was using a wash cloth as a warm compress on it earlier, and been rolling the nipple in my fingers to try and knock the white spots off ..... Trying to get Sophie to feed from it is awkward, as not only is that painful, but because the milk isn't flowing quickly enough, she's pulling at it with my nipple clamped firmly between her gums..... lots of gritted teeth and curled toes happening at feeds!!
It was baby club today and the lady running it is one of the hospitals Breastfeeding ladies and she gave the same kind of advice as you ladies.

No experience with that as I've had no problem massaging out the hard lumps when I've had blocked ducts. I've heard that soaking your nipples in salt water makes the blebs go away.

I always clear my blocked ducts in the shower by massaging my boobs with a body brush - I've also picked off the white bits in the nipple and it's then like a tap usually and milk starts spraying everywhere! One feed from LO and all back to normal :)

I'd second a scrub with a rough washcloth/gentle brush if you can stand it, to try and move the clogged bit. I'm not sure it's really recommended but when I had exactly what you describe (and I could see where it was blocked with a little milk managing to ooze around it), I sterilised a needle and gently used it to lift the dried milk/skin out of the way. I managed to spray milk about a metre when I did it - the relief was instant and amazing!

Sometimes, if you have a breastpump it might help (although I'd bet LO has a stronger latch)... or a willing husband :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->