Thinking about cancelling NT scan

Starlight32

Reaction score
My husband and I are considering cancelling the NT scan that is scheduled in two weeks. We have been researching how u/s can be uncomfortable to the baby and don't feel like it's worth doing an additional scan. We have already had 2 scans (5w & 7w); 5w was to rule out ectopic (bad pain), and the 7w was the dating scan.

Will the anatomy (20w) scan show anything that we would need to know that the NT scan would show?

It can tell you the likelyhood of your child having Down's Syndrome or a heart defect.
I did not get the test. If my child has Down's Syndrome it won't change anything knowing, just stress me more and a heart defect can be detected during second trimester screening.
Plus, this test isn't always accurate.

Almost all of what they look for during the scan can be detected with a blood test or a later scan. This time around I got the Panorama blood work and I will have a scan at 20 weeks. My son always disliked scans as well as dopplers. They can be very loud which is why it's not unusual for your baby to turn away from all the noise.

I'm concerned about the sound and heat for baby. We originally weren't going to do the NT scan but then changed our minds so we could see baby again. After doing a lot of research, it doesn't seem like wanting to see baby is worth the possible risks of an u/s. If the 20w/anatomy scan can show us anything we will need to know about birth, then I think we will cancel the NT scan. I'm waiting until my doctor appointment next week to make my final decision though.

I've always had a lot of scans since my OB has them in his office. Both my girls were fine ... Also the NT scan is a great one to rule out markers if you want to know Ofcourse xx

laila, how long did your NT scans (ultrasounds) usually last?

My husband and I are considering cancelling the NT scan that is scheduled in two weeks. We have been researching how u/s can be uncomfortable to the baby and don't feel like it's worth doing an additional scan. We have already had 2 scans (5w & 7w); 5w was to rule out ectopic (bad pain), and the 7w was the dating scan.

Will the anatomy (20w) scan show anything that we would need to know that the NT scan would show?

It's not necessary. The less ultrasounds the better. It's not mandatory to have a NT scan. In fact you can opt out of all of them if you wish. The 20 week scan will be detail oriented, and will take a good look at the 4 chambers of the heart, kidneys, facial structure, etc etc. Basically all the organs and how baby seems to be thriving. I've had 3 kids and pregnant with #4. I have a dating scan in a week and then will be waiting till 21 weeks for my anatomy scan, and after that...nothing.
Go with your gut instinct. And on a side note yes you are correct there's lots of science and research to avoid ultrasound as much as possible.

Will the 20 w scan pick up things the NT scan wouldn't have picked up? Idk. I don't think this happens a lot, but I do know of a woman whose baby had Down Syndrome and none of the normal scans picked it up. She didn't know until the baby was born. But, like I said, I don't think that's the norm. My 20 week scan was very detailed and my perinatologist had excellent equipment so can't imagine anything being missed. I did have the NT, but I was also high risk and had at least 14 scan with daughter, so obviously, scanning wasn't a concern for me. Since it is for you, I'd talk it over with you doctor and then just do what you feel is best for you and baby. I think, in the case of the NT especially, that the best decision you can make is going with what feels most right to you, regardless of what other people say. Best to you and your lo.

Just had mine and it lasted 45 minutes :( and afterwards the ob said that it's too early to tell if anything is wrong with the baby. I lf I would have know that, never would have went. If its quick that's one thing but 45 minutes and than ob came in and did his own scan for another 5-10 minutes...ggrrr!

The chromosomal abnormalities part of the my scan must be done by 14+2 as at this point the nuchal fluid becomes reabsorbed therefore your chance of detecting certain conditions decreases after 14+2. At my hospital they only book 30 min appts, the scan itself can be done in a few minutes providing the baby is in a good condition. They measure the baby first to get dating correct then if you are less than 14+2 and wish to have the nt measurement done they do that next.

Mine only lasted fr about 15 mins. Every intervention has pros and cons. For me, it was worth it. Ultrasounds have been brief, but great. I have Doppler and used it about once every three days. Now baby is fluttering & don't bother unless I don't feel him fr a full day. I use Doppler very briefly. Just til I hear heartbeat 5-10 seconds. That's it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->