Thinking of getting a kitten

BellaBoo0512

Reaction score
Hi everyone I'm just looking for a bit of advice...

I have a 3 year old male cat and have been thinking of getting a kitten for a while now so that he has got a playmate. My sister in laws friends cat has recently had kittens unexpectedly and the owner is looking to rehome them. My sil has asked if I would like one.

The trouble is that I don't know if it would be a good idea or not. I love my cat to bits and I wouldn't want him to feel left out if I were to get a kitten but on the other hand it would be amazing if I got a kitten and they ended up being the best of friends.

Does anyone have any experience of introducing a kitten to an adult cat? Is it a good idea or not? :shrug:

My oldest cat was 5 when we got another cat. Took them about a week to get used to each other. Now they sleep together its so cute

Aww :) do you think I should go for it then? Do they need seperate litter trays and food bowls?

From experience, it's better to have at least 1 litter tray per cat in the house (I have 2 cats and 3 trays). It'd probably be a good idea to have separate feeding areas too, at least until the cats get used to each other.

We have a bowl each for food and water and they share the same tray. When u get another one the kitty will hide away for a few days cus its something new. Mine was like that. Cats might hiss at each other the first week. Like i said once they get ot know each other they will be fine.

I've just done this, I have a 2 1/2-3 year old female house cat.
I brought kitten in in her cat carrier and let the cat smell her. Then fed them opposite each other.
Ideally you should keep them separate for a few days however it wasn't practical for me to do so. I have a very large dog cage which the kitten sleeps in at night. I put kitten in the cage straight from cat box, she has her own feeding area and litter boxin there but in the same room as my cat.

I let them meet fav to face Friday night and since then it's been fine, they chase each other quite a bt but there has been no hissing or anything. Iv been very lucky though as it's rare an adult cat is that accepting of a kitten. My cat didn't seem to mind others though when other cats came to the French doors she was fine.

Just b mindful that it can take some time, and a kitten us just a baby so he/she is your priority. Also try and get a feliway plug in, I have one and it seems to have helped with keeping it calm.

Also
To add my kitten will hiss at my cat when they play and has only just allowed the older cat to groom her.
The older car is a really unfussy cat and doesn't get jealous at all. Just keep them seperate a bit longer if your older cat is fussing

Thank you for all your tips. Going picking the new kitty up tomorrow. I just hope my male cat accepts her. The owner has said if it doesn't work out they will gladly take her back.

If it's any consolation, I hear that opposite sex cats tend to get along better. In my household, this is true. Both my boys get along great with the girl cat, but can't really stand each other and don't interact much.

I got my girl kitty in a similar situation to yours. My husband's cat and my cat didn't like each other, and while his cat was okay without a buddy, mine really needed one. He was about 2 or 3 when we got the girl cat.

At first, there was hissing from my cat-- which is to be expected. As someone else posted, it's ideal to keep them apart for a few days, but this wasn't exactly feasible for us with our place. They were BFFs by the end of the night-- I actually have a picture of her (tiny little kitten) grooming him that night.

They're best friends to this day, and prefer to share a chair by the window with their tails hooked together. She'll groom him, they'll play, she'll sit on his head, he'll wrestle her off. It's really cute.

Is ur make get nutted

Yeah he's neutered and the kitten will be getting spayed as soon as she's old enough, 6 months I think?

We picked the kitten up last night :) (still no name because me and OH can't agree!) we let my adult cat see her through the carrier and then hubby let her out. My male cat seems fine with her, just curious. Whereas the kitten occasionally hisses at him and he just meows back at her.. Is this a good sign? The kitten is sleeping upstairs in the spare bedroom for now and everything she needs is in there. I'm only letting them be around each other if I'm around to supervise.

I just really hope they get on because I'm in love with her already and would hate to have to take her back but obviously my adult cats feelings come first because he was here first :)

Is ur make get nutted

Yeah he's neutered and the kitten will be getting spayed as soon as she's old enough, 6 months I think?

We picked the kitten up last night :) (still no name because me and OH can't agree!) we let my adult cat see her through the carrier and then hubby let her out. My male cat seems fine with her, just curious. Whereas the kitten occasionally hisses at him and he just meows back at her.. Is this a good sign? The kitten is sleeping upstairs in the spare bedroom for now and everything she needs is in there. I'm only letting them be around each other if I'm around to supervise.

I just really hope they get on because I'm in love with her already and would hate to have to take her back but obviously my adult cats feelings come first because he was here first :)

Sounds about right. :) Your kitten is in a new and unfamiliar situation, and this is a big, strange, scary cat she's never met before. She's basically saying, "I don't know who you are, but you better not mess me up-- 'cause- 'cause- I'll mess you up!" And it sounds like your cat is trying to seem non-threatening by not hissing back.

That in particular is very good. Kittens are highly adaptable, so the fact that your older cat is curious rather than upset is very promising for your kitties! Eventually she'll learn that your older cat means no harm.

Sorry, no name suggestions, but she's adorable!!

Aww thank you. We have called her pebbles :) she has been playing with my older cat so hopefully so good so far :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->