This is driving me crazy.

Elli21

Reaction score
My son is 1 and a half.

When my OH went into hospital, both my kids stayed in bed with me, as i was worried that i wouldnt hear them or something. He slept from 7pm to 7am and so did my daughter.

My daughter has gone back to her own room, and her own bed fine.

But Tom, oh no!
He goes to bed...in his cot, and we sit next to his cot just so he knows we are there until he falls asleep. Then we go and do our own thing. Then he'll cry, but as soon as we go upstairs and lay him back down hes fast asleep again.
He'll do this on average 3 times a night, before 10pm and then by midnight im needing my sleep and getting grotty so i get him in bed with us.
I KNOW I KNOW...i shouldnt, but i need some help. OH cant as he cant do the stairs in the dark on his own as we've had to move our bed downstairs.

Any tips?
Any anything? Im going out of my mind!

The only thing I've seen on TV is putting them in bed, letting them CIO, going back, etc etc.. I could never do it though. Hope someone has a better suggestion x

Im ok letting him CIO for about 2 minutes then it gets to me.
Mike once made me let Tom CIO, and everytime i got up to see to him, Mike would say no. It got to 30 minutes of Mike checking on him every 5 minutes and he still wasnt any calmer. :shrug:

I thought he might be hot so i turned his radiator down and put him in lighter pjs. I thought he might be cold, turned radiator back to normal. Thought he might be getting a cold so gave him olbus oil. (all on different nights)

Im coming to a stand still..i cant think of anything else. :(

Maybe its just a stage he's going through.......seems noah is going through something similar -

Noah used to get in to his bed have his bottle & he'd be asleep....no fuss, but, now he gets in to bed, doesn't want his bottle, he bounces around for a while and then he gets whiney. I did go in to him but as soon as I walk through the door he's all smiles and laughing again! I just had to leave him until he goes off on his own.

In the night he'll wake now aswell - he screams so so loud but there's nothing wrong with him. If you pick him up to comfort him and let him calm then put him down again, he starts trying to play, then when you leave him he throws a hissy again!

I'm hoping it passes :hugs:

I dont knoww hat to suggest, but the more you bring him into your bed the harder it is going to get.

Could he sense change? There for hes looking for comfort? Only thing i can suggest is sleeping with a bear or blanket for a few days get your scent on it. Then pass it to him so when he wakes or even in his sleep he can smell you near.

i know its hard but all you can do is keep returning him to his bed if he is getting out,
the first time say ' no its bed time now, time to sleep lay him down and tuck him in etc and then leave him, if he gets up again, say the same 'bedtime now night night' if he gets up again just go in lay him down tuck him in, but give no interaction no eye contact. and just keep going back in and laying him down.
Dont give up and let him in your room if you can, its bluddy hard but if you can do it.

He maybe a bit confused what with Mike being back and the bed being down stairs theres been alot of change for him to cope with. Good luck.

I know its really hard and you need your sleep, but you must not give in and let him come sleep in your bed. The more you do that the more he will know he can get his own way eventually.

It's very tricky by the sounds of it. Everyone has different ways of dealing with stuff like this. My daughter co operated at bed time from the start. It was her who indicated she would like to get out my room and into her own when she was tiny. I did use the method gasped at by lots of people. If I put her to bed and she was crying I would leave her (I'd usually sob at the top of the stairs) for 2 mins, then I would go back and comfort her with out getting her up. I would come away for another 5 mins and actually watch the clock go round. It sounds mad but when she was crying a few moments would feel like an eternity. It was helpfull to actually see how long she had been crying for. It would usually only take the 1st or 2nd visit for her to settle. Often I would get week and give her a cuddle but if I knew she was dry, fed, not poorly etc she would begin to go quiet. I would then watch the clock and count how long she would go quiet for. This also helped me see when it was working and when other action may be needed.
I have no idea what I would do now she is 17mths old if she started to have bad nights. I think I would start off using the same method. Then probably start a thread on here asking for help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrsA3000
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->