This many ultrasounds normal?? At 6 weeks?

K

KittenBelle

Hello,

My husband and I had been trying to conceive for a year and finally got our positive in August. I had my first ultrasound done on August 28th. We didn't see anything except the sac and my Dr said everything looked good except the fact she thought I was a week behind what they calculated from my last period. So today I had an appointment for another scan, and we got to see the baby, the heart flickering, and hear the heart beat... The baby's heart rate was 120bmp, and the baby measured me to be 6 weeks 3 days. My doctor was very happy, excited, and liked what she saw.

Well, after all was done she said she wanted another scan done within a week or two and put in an appointment on the 10th of September and kept another appointment I had for another scan on the 16.. Is there any reason for all these scans? Especially one so soon after actually seeing the baby? I have no bleeding, no spotting, and no pain so I'm not understanding why. Why would she want so many scans done? I love seeing my little blessing but, I'm just worried if this is normal or what would cause a Dr to do this.

My husband and in laws think it's about money... Which I could understand I guess... Most of my friends who had babies had a scan at 6-8 weeks another at 14 then 18 and so forth

Thanks in advance for any help or clarification on this

That to me seems like a lot. I had an appt with my family doctor to confirm. I have an appt with a nurse educator at my ob on Tuesday. But she said when I spoke with her yesterday that I will have one between 8-10 weeks and then 18-20 weeks. And then only one more after that.

It may be different since you had been TTC for awhile. I don't have experience with that, but I have seen others mention that they had more appt's and ultrasounds if that was the case. For me I called my Dr when I got my bfp and they scheduled my 1st apt for when I was 8 weeks based on my lmp. I had my first ultrasound, bloodwork and talked to the nurse and Dr and had a pelvic exam to make sure my cervix was closed. After that I go once a month for appointments until later on when it becomes every other week and then every week at the very end. However I only get an ultrasound maybe 3 times. The 1st one, then I'll have one between 12-13 weeks IF I opt for the NT (Down's etc.) screening, then the gender & anatomy scan at 20 weeks.

That is quite unusual. I'm 9 weeks and have just been for my fourth scan. But I have had two cases of bleeding so that's why I've had so many already.

If you were ttc with the help of your dr then that's standard. They like to make sure everything is progressing as it should. I had one a week for 3 weeks. I was happy to see the babies each time! Then we saw twins, then I had bleeding, so now I've had several, 8 I believe. But I know 3 is standard with the RE.

I had 4 scans and I'm 11 weeks now. I had many scan because I was bleeding before. Maybe you should ask your doctor why she wants you to see her so often. Maybe she wants to see if the hb progressing well, mine is like that. Private doctors usually want you to come back every month and they will do scan every appointment. Public system usually only do 3-4 scan throughout the entire pregnancy but regular check ups still every month.

I would ask you doctor why so many. Usually they don't do so many unless you are having issues like bleeding.

Thanks ladies, I actually wasn't trying to conceive with any help from my doctor, I don't have anything wrong far as I know :) when we first started trying, my dad died then a month later I had kidney stone surgery so I think we took a while just because of stress :) ...

Also, most doctors where I am won't help you with conceiving until you've tried on your own for a year. They say naturally done women it happens quick others can take a year to do it naturally.

At my first appointment my doctor checked everything my cervix, my uterus, my overies and everything looked great. Which is why I'm like why so many scans.

I would just ask the doctor. When I was pregnant with my daughter, I had a scan every week from week 6 thru 13 and when I told him I didn't want to come in for scans every week anymore he told me he had just been doing them to reassure me since I had had 3 previous mc and was high risk due to age. I didn't think to ask him before then as I thought he was doing the scans bc he needed to or wanted to or something for medical reasons. After week 13, when I told him I didn't want scanned every week, he let me tell him when I wanted any extra scans (besides the typical ones at 20 weeks and then one in 3rd tri) My OB was just a sweet man who liked for women to be comfortable and feel positive about their pregnancy and didn't ever want them to worry.

That is quite a few already. I'm considered high risk and don't have my first scan until 7 weeks. If everything looks good and there's only one in there I won't be back till around 12 weeks for a second one, but I was reassured from my Dr that if there's more than one to count on seeing her more often.

I had that many, but I'm pregnant with twins lol

I'd ask her why she feels you need so many if everything is fine. I can understand the first two if the first one was too early to see heartbeat - but beyond that most don't have another until 20 weeks (or at least that's how my first two pregnancies went).

As long as everything is fine I wouldn't do more if they're not covered by insurance and you're not experiencing any high risk symptoms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->