This sounds odd.

johnandlouise

Reaction score
Hi All,
This may sound a little odd, BUT, My wife and I are now thinking seriously about trying for a baby. A baby we both very much want and have done for years now.

Our issue now is that, we both work, Louises income is higher than mine and not one of our incomes is enough to support the houshold. So, to run the household we need both incomes.

My question here is:-

In theory, what and when are we entitled to?

As it currently is, we can't get working tax credits, but I think this may change when baby comes?

In a nutshell, we have no idea what we are entitled to, We've never needed to claim anything, but we could not survive on the SMP+ My wage at all.

Any advice would be very much aprecieated. (Excuse the spelling here).

Amny Many Thanks

Hi and welcome to b&b. Its great to see a bloke on here for a change instead of us girls.

You would be entitled to, a health in pregnacy grant of £190 at around 25 weeks i think. £20 a week child benefit and depending on your earning child tax credits and working tax credits.
Smp is 90% of her wadge for the first 6 weeks and then around £125 for the rest of her leave. Some companys offer an advanced maternity pay, i would look into this. My company offer it but it only works if you are one of the managment team so there a bit cheeky.

You may be able to claim a sure start maternity grant.
We will just be able to cope on my OH's pay and ssp but we are planing on saving before we ttc to bump up our income.

Hope this helps

Child Benefit and Child Tax Credit are what most households are entitled to.

We're not exactly on great wages but we're not entitled to working tax credit, regardless of whether we have a baby or not.

You won't get these until bubs is born tho.

You will get the HiP grant of £190 and you could apply for the surestart grant of £500.

But like Lozzy said, best way is to try and save any spare cash you can. We didn't think we could survive but I done a spreadsheet of incomings and outgoings and we could, we just need to be careful and can't really start saving again until I go back to work.

Money was always the one thing putting us of trying for a baby, we thought we couldn't afford it. Everyone kept telling us that we'd find a way and you know what, they were right. If we waited until we could 'afford' it, we'd never of had one! Babies aren't exspensive as I thought lol

I have to say, i'm quite scared. We live comfortably now, I would not want a baby to come and put us in the position where we would be surviving. I'd want to ensure that my wife and child have everything they need.

We are planning to try for baby at the end of the half term week in October as the major bills should be paid by then!

I have to say, i'm quite scared. We live comfortably now, I would not want a baby to come and put us in the position where we would be surviving. I'd want to ensure that my wife and child have everything they need.

We are planning to try for baby at the end of the half term week in October as the major bills should be paid by then!

You sound like you're in the position that me & OH were in when we started ttc. We were comfortable but by no means 'rich'.

We all have everything we need. We don't go out clubbing and drinking every weekend and neither me or OH have all the latest fashion or gadgets. But then we never did so nothing changed.

Only thing that's really changed is if we want something, we need to save up for a couple of months whereas before we'd think nothing of just going ahead and getting it. We just have to save for luxeries now, but we all have what we need. Our LO hasn't missed out on anything. (You'd also be suprised how many people want to buy LO things - we've had people we've never even met buy her things. 'Oh this is for your new grand daughter', 'we got this for your neice' etc etc. We've had teddies, clothes and soooo much stuff donated from others its unreal).

Hi and welcome to b&b. Its great to see a bloke on here for a change instead of us girls.

I know when I need help. Who to ask? People in that very situation.

Could also be me being in touch with my feminine side... Lol...But we do appreciate what you've said so far, So thanks. Any more ideas? keep em comming.!

Hiya, I think the girls have given you the best advice already, I just wanted to say a big hello and welcome to WTT :)
xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->