Thomas James Robert - 17/10/08

Hoping

Reaction score
Thomas is 5 weeks old now, but it has taken this long to be able to find some time to sit down and write his birth story - plus our internet connection has been playing up!

So, I had been suffering with some blood pressure problems from about 36 weeks and was being closely monitored. I went along for a check at the hospital on Tuesday 15th and at that appointment they advised that they would examine me, if possible do a sweep and if nothing happened then they had booked me in for an induction the following Wednesday. Thomas was actually due on 26th October.

Well the sweep was done (painful), and the registrar said it was a good sweep and that she thought I would respond well to it as I was already starting to dilate slightly. She said there was a 50% chance of something happening within 48 hours.

48 hours later, nothing had happened, other than spotting. No pains or anything. That was Thursday evening, about 4pm. I was having to dip little sticks into my pee twice a day to check for protein (to do with the BP), so about 9pm I went to the toilet, peed in a cup and stuck the stick in. I then stood up to pour the pee from the cup into the loo, and liquid leaked from me onto my trousers. I sat back down on the loo, and more came out. Not a gush but a continuous trickle. I started shaking uncontrollably and called hubby. We both considered if this was wee or waters, so I caught some in the plastic cup and we decided it was waters (different colour to pee and smelled funny!).

So I put on a maternity pad and stood up - the pad was soaked and through to my trousers in no time - so now we knew. In view of my blood pressure problems, I called the hospital to see if they wanted me to go in - they said they needed to see me so off we went. Hospital was 50 minute drive from home. I was not having any contractions at this point.

We got there at about 10.30pm, and they hooked me up to the monitor and said that I was having contractions, but they were mild and irregular. Bubs was having some dips in his heartbeat so they kept me on the monitor and decided to keep me and said hubby home. He left eventually at about 3am. They left me in a side room on my own. I was now starting to feel the contractions but not more than bad period pains. I threw up and continued to get really shaky. However, they very quickly became stronger and more regular and I rang the bell and got given paracetamol. about 30 minutes later I rang again, and the midwife examined me and said I was 3 cm dilated and offered me pethadine which I had. She asled me if I wanted hubby and I said yes. She said the pethadine would take 20 minutes to work and left me with my tens machine on.

Well, they got worse very quickly an 20 minutes later I felt like I needed a poo really badly. I rang the bell and said I needed to push. I don;t think they beleived me, but she had a look and I was 9cm dlated. I had gone from 3-9cm in 20 minutes! They had no delivery suites available and my hubby was not there yet! SCared was not the word. I was told I was too late for an epidural but I was given gas and air, which I glugged on so much it stopped my contractions for a minute!

Eventually, I was taken into the only free room to deliver, which was the high dependency room which had no windows and was very medicalised. WEll ,then the fun started. I think they were all expecting him to be really quick, but I was pushing and pushing and he just wasn't coming. Eventually, they put me on a drip to strengthen the contractions. That did not make a difference. After 3 hours they decided to do a ventouse and episiotomy, and it transpired that Thomas had his fist against his cheek and his cord around his neck and wrist. That was why I couldn't get him out on my own. I was exhausted and had puched so hard, that I had fluid and air bubbles between the skin and flesh on my face and neck. It took days for this to go away.

Thomas is a real sweety and although I am still sore, have piles and not much sleep, I wouldn't change anything.

congrats hun he is lovely , jack was also born by c section the same day at 09.45 . violet xx

Congratulations hon x x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"