• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Those BF 4 month olds?

Natasha2605

2 girlies <3
Reaction score
Just wondering what your LO's feeding pattern is like?

Freya has been sleeping through the night 9pm-8am for about three weeks.

Through the day I've no idea how much she feeds but it's a lot. I went out today 2-4 without her for the first time and she done well. She doesn't take milk from a bottle at all( I've tried) so I never really leave her.

Just wondering how often your baby is feeding, do you have a "routine" and do they STTN?

I think the frequent feeding is the price you pay for her STTN. My LO fed about every 3hrs but that was night and day.

Thanks. I'm not complaining or anything. Just a few people have been surprised of the frequency of her feeding at this age. In fact, when we went to the doctors at 3 months for her gaviscon prescription the doctor was surprised she feeds more than 6 times in a 24 hour period.

She's my first child I've BF so no idea what's "normal" or typical.

the doctor was surprised she feeds more than 6 times in a 24 hour period.

She's my first child I've BF so no idea what's "normal" or typical.

Really? I would have thought 6 would have been about the minimum a doctor would want to see. I mean obviously whatever works to create a thriving and healthy baby, works, so if less was working I'm not saying there is reason to panic - just as a ball park figure 6 -10 would seem normal, depending on growth spurts, efficiency at feeding, sleep patterns etc.

My LO is now 5 months . She is EBF too . She feeds on average like this
6.30am .
8.30am
11am
1pm
3pm
5pm
7pm
11pm
4am
And back to the top lol.
That's 9 times per day .

When Isla was 4 months old she would nurse 3-4 times during the day and then be up every 2 hrs at night to nurse. She was so extremely distractable that it was nearly impossible to get her to focus during the day to nurse, so most of her caloric intake was at night. Still in a 24 hr period she would nurse at least 8 times. I'm pretty surprised that your doc thinks 6 times a day is a lot, to me that would seem the the bare minimum especially if she is not feeding at night. It seems to be working for you though so I'd say stick with what you are doing!

I remember Thomas went 4 hourly during the day at that age, as he wasn't interested in breastfeeding unless I left it a long while between feeds. He fed two times overnight.

Sophie I think fed every 3 hours during the day and once overnight at 3am.

Every 3 hours near enough with a cluster feed in the evening. He slept thru the night 8pm-4am at 11 weeks, then did 8pm-6am at 12 weeks then the day he turned 13 weeks it stopped. Feeds were pretty much 6/6:30am, 9:15am, 12pm, 2:30pm, 4pm, 7pm, 8pm, midnight, 2/3am. Still does similar now. :/

Thank you for the replies. Interesting to read!

Yeah I was surprised at the doctor too. It came up because I asked her how often she should have her gaviscon and she said every feed. I queried that and she went on to say " apologies, I assumed at this age she was feeding less than 6 times in 24 hours". Six times is the maximum she's allowed the gaviscon in that period.

My LO feeds very often throughout the day maybe every 2/3 hours and cluster feeds in the evenings but most nights he does a good 6/8 hour stretch. We don't really have a routine as such except at bedtime xx

My babies almost 6 months, but his feeding habits haven't really changed. I feed on demand, which is roughly every 3 hours. This is at night as well. About once a week he will sleep maybe 5 or 6 hours straight, but normally he still wakes every 3 hours to dream feed.

Interesting to see what works for other babies! My son is only 2.5 months and not on any schedule. When I feel he's on a schedule for a couple days he then changes it up lol

I'd say most days look something like:
Sleep for the night around 8pm
Top-up feed around 9pm (sometimes)
330am dream feed
6am feed and awake
830 feed & nap (1-2hrs)
1130/12 I usually wake to fees
Nap around 1 (2-3hrs)
330/4 feed
Nap around 4 (30-60min)
Clusterfeeds from like 530-830

Users who are viewing this thread