Thoughts on Meptid ??

Natty_babez

Alexa-Jayne & Daisy-Mae
Reaction score
I am having a home birth and midwife has said this is the only pain relief apart from gas and air that's available to me but I didn't touch pethidine in my other labour because of the side effects so wanted people's thoughts on Meptid that have tried it ?

I know it's not as strong but what are the side effects like ? I have a real fear of being sick which is one of the reasons I avoided pethidine last time

Xxx

I had meptid for both my previous births from what I remember it made me feel quite spaced out however for me I don't think it had time to take effect before the baby arrived so I am going to try and avoid it this time I don't remember it make hug me sick or anything though

Personally, I would say no, I wouldn't touch it. It's an opiate, similar enough to pethidine. You're right I think that there's less risk of babies having breathing and feeding problems after birth (less, but not none), and I might feel more comfortable with that if I was having a hospital birth. But for a home birth, I'd want to steer clear of any added risks that might cause any stress for you and baby. The last thing you want is to have to transfer in after when you'd rather be at home. Did you have a home birth with your first? If you didn't, you're likely to find that you're much more relaxed and in control at home than you would have been at hospital. I had my daughter at home and I didn't even need the gas and air. I used a TENS which was wonderful and practiced natal hypnotherapy, and that was enough. My understanding is that you can get the opiate drugs (pethidine and metpid) on prescription to have at home in case you need them. There's no harm in getting it and having in case you decide you really do need it and would prefer that to transferring in for pain relief. I personally wouldn't feel comfortable using it at home, but it's always good to have options.

I have picked up the prescription just in case but don't want to feel spaced out or not with it so probably won't use it but at least it's there if I really am desperate xx

I had meptid when I had my son, I end up laid on a couch kind of zonked out, can't say it really helped with the pain though. When I have another labour I would prefer to stay more upright if I can so I personally wouldn't have it again. That being said I think you have done the right thing by getting the prescription and see how you go :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->