Thoughts on non-traditional boys name

brinib

Reaction score
The only boys name we both like for this baby is a bit unusual. My maiden name is Meier and we like that as a first name. (Not sure what middle name yet, maybe Lee-- I like family names as middle names and Lee is my FIL's middle).

Pronounced MY-er. Having had it for a last name for 21 years I know it will be mis-pronounced (people often say meeer) and he will definitely have to spell it for everyone forever. Too weird? My DS1 is named Max which is easy to spell and pronounce so I suppose I'm feeling a little worried about saddling my second child (if he's a boy) with a weird name.

Thoughts? (BTW I have lots of other names I like but DH hates ALL of them!)

i forever have to spell my name and its mispronounced but i dont mind because i love it and id hate to have a really common name

I like more unusual names. A child will learn to spell their own name easy enough and you can have a common name and constantly have to spell it for people and put up with receiving mail with your name spelt wrong. My name is Clare which is extremely common in the UK for people of my age and I have to spell it for people all the time.

I like it. My name is very unusual and I always have to spell it and it's mispronounced a lot but I love my name so it's whatever. I think he'll get used to spelling it, and unusual names typically (from what I've seen) tend to get more compliments!

I like it, Meier is unusual but it's pronunciation is not unheard of. It sounds nice as a first name. I have a slightly unusual name (Laurel) and I'm always spelling it or hearing people mispronounce it and I'm totally fine with that. Confirms to me that I'm unique. I wouldn't have liked to be the 10th Jessica in the class (not that there's anything wrong with Jessica! It's a lovely name!), I loved being the only Laurel.

I like it! People mispronounce and misspell even very common names so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

When I saw Meier, I read it as MYer. And it's different, but that's kinda name I like: different, unique, uncommon.

I'm of Asian decent so imagine being me growing up having your name mispronounced ALL the time. It didn't bother me. I just correct them and that's it.

Before I got married I had to correct people a lot of the time on the pronounciation of BOTH my names, and spell EACH one. Now thankfully I only have to spell the first :D

I like Meier, and I think it sounds great with Max. I knew how to pronounce it straight off, but then that's probably because it's German (?) and I speak German, so I'm aware of the pronounciation. I wasn't too bothered about having to correct people or spell out my name all the time; having an unusual name outweighs the bother, IMO

Before I got married I had to correct people a lot of the time on the pronounciation of BOTH my names, and spell EACH one. Now thankfully I only have to spell the first :D

I like Meier, and I think it sounds great with Max. I knew how to pronounce it straight off, but then that's probably because it's German (?) and I speak German, so I'm aware of the pronounciation. I wasn't too bothered about having to correct people or spell out my name all the time; having an unusual name outweighs the bother, IMO

Yep, definitely German :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->