• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Thoughts on two middle names?

LynAnne

Mum to 2 Boys
Reaction score
DH and I have decided to give our little guy two middle names to match me as I have two middle names. I was only meant to have one middle name originally but when I was born unexpectedly at home with no medical help I was given another middle name of the neighbour and close family friend who helped during the birth. We have decided to go with two family names on my side (little guy gets DH's surname anyway!) which are a shortened version of my maiden name and my maternal grandmother's maiden name. My grandmother's maiden name is unusual as it is Estonian so I thought it was something special.

Anyway, I've found that, particularly with boys, people seem to think that it is odd to give them two middle names. People seem to think that it is a big issue with legal documents when they grow up but I've never found this to be the case with mine, granted I have two short middle names (Lyn Anne). I'm just curious as to what your thoughts on middle names are.

If we end up having a boy, he'll most likely have two middle names as they're both family names we can't decide between. I see middle names as a nice, mostly private little bonus, I don't really think they matter too much. Fear of forms would certainly not put me off. :lol:

One of my sons has two middle names (both his grandads names). Don't see anything wrong with it at all x

we are doing a double middle name if this baby is a girl. We thought of the legal paper issues but after talking with others, it doesn't seem to be a big deal. on forms that require a middle initial, we will just use the first name as the initial. Otherwise, it will be primarily for us. i would definitely go for it!

My sisters and I all have two middle names. My sister's four kids (3 boys and a girl) all have two middle names, and my DD has two middle names. I don't see a problem with it at all regardless of gender. When we have baby #2 he/she will also have two middle names.

Even if people do think it's odd who cares? Of all the people in your lives how many of their middle names do you actually know anyways?

Ours will have two middle names too. Who cares what anybody else thinks x

Mine have 2 middle names. Its the norm in my family and no one has had any bother with it; people go on about how it causes issues with passports / doctors / legal documents but I've never had issues with any of those things.

My sisters and I all have two middle names. My sister's four kids (3 boys and a girl) all have two middle names, and my DD has two middle names. I don't see a problem with it at all regardless of gender. When we have baby #2 he/she will also have two middle names.

Even if people do think it's odd who cares? Of all the people in your lives how many of their middle names do you actually know anyways?

Just wanted to clarify that I don't think it depends on gender either! Only reason we'd do two middle names for a boy only is that we can't decide between boy middle names. I think however many middle names you see fit for either gender is just fine and dandy! I'd just make sure it flows nicely and doesn't end up reading like a list from a baby name book.

My son only has one middle name but my brother and I both have two middle names, it's never been a problem for us!

He's Conar Vincent Peter & I'm Gemma Mary-Louise :)

I have two middle names...I converted my maiden name into a second middle name when I got married. I haven't had any problems, it's just my name now. Most of the time people and documents just drop the second name except my passport and drivers license.

My DS1 has two middle names! I think it's completely fine as long as the names don't clash

Both my boys have two middle names & this baby will too. I've never had a problem with forms or anything, it's always been accepted that they have two middle names. I think it makes them a little more unique especially as both boys have fairly common first names & surname.

I had two middle names and always had problems when filling out forms, especially government ones (here's looking at you, Social Security). When I became an adult I went to court and legally dropped a name, so I just have the standard First Middle Last and haven't had any issues since. After the trouble I've had we won't give our kids two middle names, but if it's important to you then go for it!

My DD has 2 middle names. They never get used at school and I never say them 😅

I have two middle names. I don't like the second so have never used it except for on my birth certificate. It's not on my passport or driving licence but strangely the doctors use it on their records!

My son has 2 middle names aswell, because we wanted one from my side of the family and one from DH's. I think we will probably have one for this baby but only because we don't have a second middle name that we really want to use. I don't really think it matters!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->